Detroit : Become Human - Anyone on this one?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
The missus and I have been playing our way through this one since launch and it's pretty damn good! I played Heavy Rain and thought that was good but this is exceeding my expectations with what is essentially an interactive movie.

Definitely worth a go if you like this kind of game.
Investigation, exploration and QTE with a gripping story, doesnt require much skill but who cares about that if it's fun.

It is a choose your own adventure that encourages you to continue despite whatever choices you've made, this is interesting because fuck I haven't read a choose your own adventure book since primary school and well it's fun! talk about replay value and I get new story arc and content? cant argue with that.

Last edited:

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Better than HR? I loved HR but B2Souls wasn't as good. Love the vibe of Detroit but I'm on the fence on whether to buy it now or sometime down the line...

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I think Detroit has an edge over HR just because the degree of choice is much broader which leads to far more splintered outcomes. The further you get in the game this becomes quite apparent as each chapter is never quite completed, some have three outcomes and a ton of ways to have reached them.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Did you meet RoboCop, yet? No? lach, I am very disappointed...

Your possible reply choices:

a) Shut up about the extended version Lebowski!
b) Bad language make for bad feelings.
c) First, don't fuck with me. I'm a desperate man! And second, I want some fresh coffee.
d) Bitches leave!

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Liked the investagative nature of Heavy Rain, but Beyond Two Souls was fucking terrible. It's like they were forcing the SJW shit down my throat instead of writing a coherent story.

Liked the Detroid demo but still wary of the devs after BTS.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Better than HR? I loved HR but B2Souls wasn't as good. Love the vibe of Detroit but I'm on the fence on whether to buy it now or sometime down the line...

100% agree. My wife and I played Heavy Rain and really enjoyed it. B2 Souls we turned off after like two hours and never played again

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I've been primarily a PC gamer for quite some time now. I have not cared to use a PS4 or Xbox One, but is this game worth getting a PS4 Pro for?(I Would only want the Pro model as I use a 4k display)

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I've been primarily a PC gamer for quite some time now. I have not cared to use a PS4 or Xbox One, but is this game worth getting a PS4 Pro for?(I Would only want the Pro model as I use a 4k display)

I'm not sure I'd buy a PS4 Pro just for this game, it's more if you had one already. But that said... find a few other reasons to get one and this is definitely worth a pickup.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Ive been holding off on it but definitely want to pick it up I really enjoyed Heavy Rain so if this is better thats all I need to know!

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Play just like Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls, i.e. bad. More weird than bad, I guess, but still too close to bad for my liking.

The story is generally pretty interesting, but the characters could work better. Markus starts out as by far the most compelling character, then steadily becomes less so while Connor becomes by far the best character (Kara is okay, but she's so one-dimensional that it hurts her sections).

My biggest complaint is probably that there are many parts of the game where you can make a decision that ends up having a very pronounced negative consequence that wasn't hinted at AT ALL when you made it. It's way too easy to get a character killed when you don't see it coming at all.

But it's compelling overall. It's a typical David Cage game, really interesting but heavily flawed. It's worth playing, but it's not something I'll remember at the end of the year.

edit: and it does look very good on the Pro. I'd list it alongside God of War 4 as the best-looking games on the system.

Spoiler:
Kara's and Markus' stories are fun enough to follow as they play out, but Connor's arc is the one that grabbed me. The way his breaking is a manual choice of the player, but is actually built up over the course of the game, that's got to be Cage's best storytelling. Kind of ham-fisted in how he's handled afterward, but oh well.

Last edited:

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I finally got a chance to play it. I didn't really like how you control the characters(movement, interaction) but the story was good enough to keep me playing. I ended up getting all 3 androids killed(oops). Apparently I have to make better choices(for the androids) next time through.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Liked the investagative nature of Heavy Rain, but Beyond Two Souls was fucking terrible. It's like they were forcing the SJW shit down my throat instead of writing a coherent story.

Liked the Detroid demo but still wary of the devs after BTS.

Refresh my memory on this SJW shit that was being shoved down your throat. From what I remember, there are flashbacks to the main character being raised in a lab for psychic children. She becomes a CIA agent. She beats up an abusive guy. She goes on the lamb and has to hang out with homeless people at one point. She stays with some Native Americans. And then she goes back to some psychic labs. I really don't remember any SJW stuff. I think people just like to complain about SJWs.

I loved Fahrenheit. Heavy Rain was good but somewhat predictable if you speak "film language". I liked Beyond Two Souls until they revealed the spirits, whose goofy designs were at odds with the otherwise serious visual style. So I'm looking forward to eventually playing Detroit.

Speaking of SJWs, I noticed a lot of people complaining about the game being "tone-deaf" in terms of how it equates the use of robots with slavery. I'll obviously have to play the game to judge, but it seems like an apt comparison. Not sure why people are jumping on this game.

Also, Quantic Dream takes a lot of shit for their stories not being movie-quality. I'm all about a great narrative, but I'm never going to hold a video game to the same standard as an actual movie. My expectations are pretty low in comparison. So I've shrugged off those critiques of Detroit.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Speaking of SJWs, I noticed a lot of people complaining about the game being "tone-deaf" in terms of how it equates the use of robots with slavery. I'll obviously have to play the game to judge, but it seems like an apt comparison. Not sure why people are jumping on this game.

The way the game handles the parallels to slavery isn't impressive, to say the least. You actually have a black character leading an uprising of a subjugated group of people, marching and chanting "WE HAVE A DREAM" (seriously), and there is one (total) passing reference to slavery in the game.

I don't mind as much that they don't really mention slavery, but to borrow so much from the American civil rights movement and to still not acknowledge it feels pretty weird.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
The way the game handles the parallels to slavery isn't impressive, to say the least. You actually have a black character leading an uprising of a subjugated group of people, marching and chanting "WE HAVE A DREAM" (seriously), and there is one (total) passing reference to slavery in the game.

I don't mind as much that they don't really mention slavery, but to borrow so much from the American civil rights movement and to still not acknowledge it feels pretty weird.

Yeah, that's borderline offensive but sounds like lazy writing to me, which is even more offensive.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Yeah, that's borderline offensive but sounds like lazy writing to me, which is even more offensive.
Yeah, I think David Cage is more dumb than evil. Which is preferable, I suppose.