Destiny (you know, Bungie's new FPS)

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
I enjoy this game but its not as awesome as I hoped it was gonna be. Starting to get bored with it already. 4 player teams would also be much better...

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
been playing on ps3 and ps4...
got up to level 26 and now I need fucking shards....

been doing heroic daily's, weekly's and tiger strikes, and still no fucking shards/

ViolentStorm

Windjammers Wonder

been doing heroic daily's, weekly's and tiger strikes, and still no fucking shards/

Have you tried dismantling legendary or exotic weapons and armor? That seems the best way to retrieve ascendant shards or sometimes I have been rewarded with them for completing a public event.

Got myself another exotic weapon yesterday by the name of Universal Remote, It's a shotgun which is used as a primary weapon, which is weird in the first place as shotguns come under the special category and by far its the worst exotic I have in my possession.

Craig, you have to set up a clan so we can finally attempt a raid.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
Have you tried dismantling legendary or exotic weapons and armor? That seems the best way to retrieve ascendant shards or sometimes I have been rewarded with them for completing a public event.

Got myself another exotic weapon yesterday by the name of Universal Remote, It's a shotgun which is used as a primary weapon, which is weird in the first place as shotguns come under the special category and by far its the worst exotic I have in my possession.

Craig, you have to set up a clan so we can finally attempt a raid.

Yeah, I keep getting ascendant energy when i break stuff down... Really annoying.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member

You have to do the daily heroic story at max difficulity, that'll reward you with either 2 shards or 2 energies, guaranteed. Your other option is to farm public events, but that's more difficult considering how random they are. My problem is that I haven't spent any of my shards yet because I don't want to commit to any particular build until I find a legendary primary I really like. I almost have the crucible rep and marks I need for that rifle I want. So close now....

Magician

20 Year Member
What a great weekend of gains. Out of the last handfull of engrams I was given the shotgun primary Universal Remote; it's pretty nasty in PvP as its range is doubled when looking down the sights. I also finally earned enough marks to purchase Fair and Square pulse rifle from the tower. And when I reached crucible rank 3 my crucible package gave me gauntlets that work perfectly with the build I'm going for.

I have the primary weapon, gauntlets, and chest. Now I just need the helmet and boots for my Warlock to be finished. My problem is that I still haven't found an exotic armor piece I like. Either they look terrible, or the stats aren't great, or the bonuses are lackluster. No, I think I'll have to wait for the expansion to find an exotic armor piece are I want. For now...the search for a helmet with bonuses to melee speed and extra super energy on kills...continues.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
I haven't been playing much, but I've been having a good time with it so far. My main character is a level 23 Hunter, and I've been mostly using the Blade Dancer sub-class.

I finally completed the story earlier in the week and am now focusing mostly on Bounties+Strikes, with a bit of Crucible in between. Helped a friend clear one of the Queen missions yesterday, and I was awarded my first piece of legendary equipment (helmet for my Hunter). I should be able to reach at least level 24 by just upgrading the helmet alone. I should probably spend a bit more time in the crucible though, since my rank there is still at zero...

Magician

20 Year Member
The Iron Banner event went live yesterday and will be available until the morning of October 15th. All weapon balances are removed. Basically, if you aren't rolling with a fully upgraded exotic primary weapon your ass is grass. I played a handful of matches last night and quickly discovered that my fully upgraded legendary pulse rifle was no match against players using either Suros Regime or Hard Light.

Everyone rolling with the same few weapons...so fucking boring.

If I didn't need Iron Banner gear I wouldn't continue playing the event.

ViolentStorm

Windjammers Wonder
I know what you mean, since the Suros Regime was available to buy from Xur nearly everyone rolls with that gun and it just does not feel special any more.

I was playing Iron Banner yesterday and some douche had the Vex Mythoclast and he was making mincemeat out of everyone and Bungie seriously need to nerf that gun as he obviously has the advantage and after awhile I just gave up and went to do the Weekly Heroic Strike for the 9 strange coins.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
I played Iron Banner for a bit last night as well. I actually faired okay in it. More so than I thought I would. Completing the bounties are the quickest way to rank up in it, but a lot of them seem pretty tough for me. I could only complete two I think?

I was rolling a fully upgraded Suros Regime (it's the only exotic primary I have; honestly not great in normal PvP, but good in IB), but some of the other purchasable legendary auto rifles and shotguns seemed pretty effective. I even saw some low levels running rares with good stats and doing pretty good (I've seen mention of >20s getting some sort of balance with upper 20 players, but if you're 20-25, you don't get that benefit; not too sure what that's about). AFs just dominate Crucible in general until they release the upcoming patch with weapon balancing. I feel like you're just gimping yourself using anything else as a primary, especially in the more CQC maps, which was pretty much all it was playing for the event, at least for me.

Overall though, it seemed fairly similar to normal old Crucible. I had a couple really close matches, and then there were ones where my team or the other team just dominated. The one major difference I did notice that I don't believe applies to normal play is how elemental damage actually mattered. If I threw a bubble up with my defender to help our team grab a control zone, as long as someone came in with a weapon or ability that did void damage, it rendered the thing pretty much useless as far as just sitting inside of it. After I figured that out, I started to use it a bit differently. I never really wondered about this being the case in normal PvP play, but I assume you can counter all the supers easier with the right damage type in IB only. I haven't seen anyone mention it elsewhere, so I'm not sure. If that is the case, it definitely adds a layer of strategy to PvP.

Magician

20 Year Member
A month later...how about a review?

Story
Sometime in the near future humanity finds The Traveler during a manned exploration of Mars. As a result humanity experiences a golden age. The technology gains from The Traveler more than triple our life span and allow us to travel further out into the universe. Then...The Darkness swoops in and puts humanity on the brink of extinction and cripples The Traveler. As a guardian you're tasked with chipping away at the agents of The Darkness.

Gameplay
It's your typical FPS. You point, aim, and fire. Mix in grenades and supers and you've got a good time. The nicest addition to the gameplay in Destiny is the double jump, the added mobility makes navigating levels very enjoyable.

Graphics
Destiny isn't the sexiest cross-gen game out there, but it does look good. Lighting is really great, and the glow that comes off of loot drops makes them easy to spot. Each zone looks different and each truely feel like new, unique areas worth running around and killing mobs in. And those skyboxes...make me feel as though I'm out there (more than I usually already am).

Audio
The star offering in Destiny. Each weapon type has seveal different audio files for report fire, making most weapons feel unique. The soundtrack from Michael Salvatori...might be some of his best work, I shit you not. Well, aside from the Devil's Lair strike boss track...ugh.

Replayability
It's an odd situation. The journey from character level one to twenty is fun, you're constantly upgrading gear and skills. Then you beat the game and hit the level 20 to 30 grind wall...which may or may not be fun for you. PvP is standard, although lots of good gear can be found there.

General Thoughts
I feel like I'm in an abusive relationship. I love the vibe (I adore all things in regards to outer space stuff) the art and graphics offer and the audio gets my blood pumping. However the current gear pool is limited, disappointing, and locked behind RNG and multiple grind walls. You have to commit a significant amount of time for very small gains in the endgame.

What am I doing it all for? The story isn't told well at all. The three enemy types all don't like each other and are constantly fighting, unless you're around, then they'll just concentrate on you. I feel that guardians are the dicks of the galaxy, always sticking their nose into other species' territorial disputes.

In Destiny's current state the content has run out at the 100 hour mark. A portion of the game's content is on the disc and has been locked behind DLC, a classic Activision dick move. Lots of gear is tied to PvP, an aspect of gaming I don't enjoy. But the PvE co-op is a gas.

Score
7 out of 10

I won't lie, Destiny is a disappointment for me. The variety in gear is too small, there really aren't differences in builds, as a result every class feels the same and looks the same. Having some gear locked behind PvP really aggravates me. And I don't see myself playing Destiny much more until a sizeable content update is released.

Bungie's artists made a compelling universe, but failed to give me content to stay in it.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Damn Iron banner I hate control matches with a passion! Good review Magician I could not say it better myself. I don't mind the PVP stuff but when your forced to play a PVP type you hate it makes you angry as hell.

Magician

20 Year Member
A team of two guardians finish the vault of glass in an hour.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Magician's review remind me of D3 shortly after release. With gear/loot tweaks, possible skill changes, this can become something great. Launch D3 is vastly different from where it's at now.

subcons

Magician's review remind me of D3 shortly after release. With gear/loot tweaks, possible skill changes, this can become something great. Launch D3 is vastly different from where it's at now.

And that's pretty much what gamers who are well versed in MMOs (which most console only gamers are not) have been saying since the game came out. Desinty, as it stands now with all of its flaws, is a solid foundation for Bungie to expand upon. It's how most MMOs start out. Hopefully they'll be able to make good on it.

The first and last MMO I was ever into was Ultima Online. This game has the same addictiveness for me as that game did so many years ago.

ViolentStorm

Windjammers Wonder
Signing up now.

Craig, how does the "ice breaker" shape up as a sniper rifle? Any good as I was wondering whether or not to spend 19 strange coins on it but would like an opinion on it first as I am currently using the sniper rifle "Final Boss"

Magician

20 Year Member
The ice breaker is the best PvE sniper, imo.

Ammo regen counts for so much in modes like nighfall where ammo drops may be reduced.

However, in PvP patience and time is superior with its built in camo/invisibility.

Professor Denim

Atro Ego
One month later i and im still playing it regularly. Im nearly lvl 28 Warlock. The first atempts at the Vault of Glass were one of my best gaming moments of recent years.
But Im start getting tired of some strike missions....i doubt this game will hold my intrest till december, when the dlc drops...
Oh i do enjoy playing control...

Magician

20 Year Member
Ugh...I believe I've reached my breaking point with Destiny. I reached reputation rank 5 with Future War Cult last night. I like FWC because their gear leans towards LID (light, intelligence, and discipline). So I receive my legendary package for reaching rep level 5, and what do I get? 2 ascended energy (that's fine) and a chest piece with LDS (light, discipline, and strength).

I understand every stat and bonus on gear between uncommon and legendary is a dice roll. But all exotic stats and bonuses are static, locked. Why can't legendary packages from factions contain gear with stats that're static? I worked hours on getting my rep to level 5 with the hopes of getting a helmet or boots with LID, not a chest piece with LDS.

I'm done. Until Bungie releases an update with new story missions and gear...I'm done.

Last edited:

subcons

Why can't legendary packages from factions contain gear with stats that're static? I worked hours on getting my rep to level 5 with the hopes of getting a helmet or boots with LID, not a chest piece with LDS.

I'm not quite understanding this. If you're rank 5 (which is pretty high, I'm almost there myself with New Monarchy and it has taken a long while), have you not been able to afford to just buy all the gear with the stats you want on them yet? And if not from FWC, then from the class Vanguard vendor?

On my first character, I neglected Vanguard completely once I hit 20 and went straight to a faction. Vanguard is definitely the way to go to gear up quickly though. Rep and marks come so fast doing bounties and strikes and you already bank a bunch of that climbing to 20.

By the time I was on my third character, I understood how to quickly get the gear I needed with the stats I wanted. And it was guaranteed, no RNG. Fuck the randomness in this game. Anything I get from a drop or a package is just bonus. If it doesn't suit my build, free mats. I think if you approach Destiny with this mindset, it's much less frustrating.

Magician

20 Year Member
I'm not quite understanding this. If you're rank 5 (which is pretty high, I'm almost there myself with New Monarchy and it has taken a long while), have you not been able to afford to just buy all the gear with the stats you want on them yet? And if not from FWC, then from the class Vanguard vendor?

Oh yes, I can acquire the tower gear easily. The problem is that few of the gear pieces in the tower have the combination of stats and bonuses I want. For my Warlock I want every piece to have light, intelligence, and discipline. Including a very specific combination of bonuses. The tower has alot of legendary gear to choose from, just not in the combinations I want.

I'm just upset that I received a piece of gear with stats outside of what you'd see from FWC.

I wouldn't have bothered to level my FWC rep to five if I knew I was going get Dead Orbit gear.

subcons

Oh yes, I can acquire the tower gear easily. The problem is that few of the gear pieces in the tower have the combination of stats and bonuses I want. For my Warlock I want every piece to have light, intelligence, and discipline. Including a very specific combination of bonuses. The tower has alot of legendary gear to choose from, just not in the combinations I want.

I'm just upset that I received a piece of gear with stats outside of what you'd see from FWC.

I wouldn't have bothered to level my FWC rep to five if I knew I was going get Dead Orbit gear.

Ahh, I gotcha. I didn't know you were trying to get specific bonuses too. Yeah, that could be tough. I generally don't pay much attention to the bonuses, especially on legendary chest and boots. Ammo is sort of a non-issue. Legendary helmets and gauntlets are more interesting in that regard, but even then, those bonuses seem to make a very small difference to me.

My first free item from NM was a pair of boots that were LID when I wanted LIS. They were also the ones I thought were ugly. I rocked those until I could afford the ones I wanted, but they both gave me ammo for guns I don't even run most of the time.

I haven't even completed the raid yet (I've done about half of it, but couldn't pick it back up in time with my schedule), but I've read about the gear you get from that pretty much replacing whatever you have that isn't exotic. So we'll grind to get exactly what we want and end up chucking it for that at some point I guess, at least for PvE level 30. I'm holding onto certain stuff for now when I replace it so I can have different builds, mostly with Crucible in mind.

Last edited:

Magician

20 Year Member
I'll be in a better place once an update comes around that changes the offerings in the tower, raises the level cap a couple levels (to 32), and VoG raid gear becomes 2nd rate.

ViolentStorm

Windjammers Wonder
This game is getting old fast, how many more strikes and raids can one take before suicide becomes the better option. Not only that the recent update today has nerfed Auto Rifles which is a shame as the Suros Regime was the weapon of choice and now that it only does 37 damage for a head shot instead of 45 The gun is using it's lustre very quickly indeed.

Bungie if you want to nerf a gun, nerf the Vex Mythoclast instead? You money grabbing bastards.