Destiny (you know, Bungie's new FPS)

Boredom

Morden's Lackey
My only reaction to this is meh. Halo + Borderlands: The MMO sounds like a guaranteed recipe for putting me to sleep.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Hmm? What more than the usual fps and mmo-rpg trappings did you want to know?

Planetside 2 is all PvP. It's kind of amazing, but nothing really changes, and you get bored following zergs around to level up.

Something like Firefall is great PvP, but there's also other stuff to do and PvE content.

All FPS have leveling elements to them now, so that's kinda meh.

Is it really massively or is it population limited in regions? I dunno, i''ve just haven't been interested enough to read about it. I need some bullet points to get me jazzed up over another FPS.

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
I'll give Bungie the benefit of the doubt because I always wound up enjoying Halo games even while I tend to dislike other big name FPS titles.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Bump, a new gameplay trailer was released by Bungie today.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
I am hoping this is more PSO and less Borderlands. I dig Borderlands but it gets so repetitive. PSO had such unique game play that still has not been matched.

Magician

20 Year Member
Digital preordering on PS4 PSN is now available.

Preordering grants access to the July beta period.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Bump, a new gameplay trailer was released by Bungie today.

Wow. This looks like an indie PC game. I would not have shown that to the public. I know it's beta, but damn that's rough.

-Lazy and terrible interface.
-Laughable voice acting
-Cheesy lighting effects.
-Clunky Combat.

The good news is it looks like a good genre blender. Mass Effect + Borderlands + Planetside.

Magician

20 Year Member
After playing FFXIV ARR the loot aspect in Destiny is more appealing. In FFXIV level 50 players...pretty much looked all alike, aside from the different choices in paint. That shouldn't be the case in Destiny. My level 50 Warlock should look different from most other level 50 Warlocks. Weapons aren't locked to a particular class, so as long as the variety of guardian flair and weapon flair is substantial...I should feel a little less weird about spending hundreds of hours just to look like everyone else.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
After playing FFXIV ARR the loot aspect in Destiny is more appealing. In FFXIV level 50 players...pretty much looked all alike, aside from the different choices in paint. That shouldn't be the case in Destiny. My level 50 Warlock should look different from most other level 50 Warlocks. Weapons aren't locked to a particular class, so as long as the variety of guardian flair and weapon flair is substantial...I should feel a little less weird about spending hundreds of hours just to look like everyone else.

everyone looks the same at end game in these games......everyone.

Magician

20 Year Member
everyone looks the same at end game in these games......everyone.

I'd say most, but not all rpg games. PSU is a good example. You couldn't tell what class a person was playing just because of what they wore. All clothing was tied to race in PSU (while flair was non-class specific), which is the example I hope Destiny will follow.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
I'd say most, but not all rpg games. PSU is a good example. You couldn't tell what class a person was playing just because of what they wore. All clothing was tied to race in PSU (while flair was non-class specific), which is the example I hope Destiny will follow.

Diablo 3 handled it in a nice way allowing you to change the look of any item to that of another item once you find it in game and unlock it. Sound like something FFIX should but into practice.

Magician

20 Year Member
Probably two of the better Destiny E3 impression videos.

And the most recent trailer from Bungie themselves, it's the same video that was shown at Sony's presentation.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
i aint trolling. this game looks terrible.
The trailers make it look 5x better than the game.

There better be some serious content in there.

but they have finally said no PC anytime soon. so this is a pass for me.

Magician

20 Year Member
i aint trolling. this game looks terrible.

There better be some serious content in there.

It's alright, you've made your opinion of the game clear earlier. Say what you will, I won't be mad at you.

As for content, with a budget of $500 million I'd assume Bungie intends to follow through on their 10-year commitment to adding a steady stream of new content to the game. But since there's no sub fee for this pseudo-mmo I'm assuming that Activision, knowing how they like to make the dollars, will release two or three DLC packs every year. One pack will be a handful of strikes and multiplayer stuff, while the other will be a major raid and cosmetic stuff. And of course there'll be no season pass this time around as Activision will be aiming for $20 a pop...for maximum penetration, err...I mean profit.

Still, all the E3 footage I've seen thus far hasn't swayed my hype for the game. I see a universe and a story larger than Halo ever was. Cool, that's a nice hook. I see a loot system more diverse than Borderlands. That's only my favorite system mechanic in all of gaming, no biggie. And this can all be experienced with a couple friends, sometimes more than a couple, over than span of several years?

Unless you're completely turned off by the FPS genre I can't sympathize with anyones' lack of interest in Destiny.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Years of content? Come on now. You know every MMO says that, and then people reach farm status in 3 months.
$500 million budget might break Bungie. Let's hope not.

I love everything about the concept. Dunno why Bungie is avoiding the PC base.

Plus, I'm on a submarine right now. How am I supposed to play this? /okthatwastrollin

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Considering there isn't player-to-player trading I thing you're right.

No trading, no split-screen. No big loss imo.

Split-screen is the only thing that made Halo - or indeed, most console FPS - worthwhile. If I can't stick tons of people on few televisions, why wouldn't I just play a PC shooter?