Degaussing a Zenith monitor

Sememmon

Crazed MVS Addict
All,

I was wondering.. I'm having some discoloration issues with my Zenith monitor (I'm not sure of the model) and was wondering how to degauss it. On the monitor chassis pcb, there's a two-prong connector that says "D. Coil" .. it is connected with a two-wire cable up to the side of the cabinet. From there, a long bundle of wires wrapped in what looks like black electrical tape or something similar runs all the way around the outside of the monitor frame. It doesn't actually touch the monitor.. but it runs all the way around the edge.

On the chassis pcb, I do not see any sort of button or something that actually activates the degaussing. Does this sound like something that would run all the time? Or would there be a button lurking around somewhere that activates it?

Some rather poor quality images follow:

This first picture shows a red cable (the one all the way in the back) connecting to the chassis pcb:
IMAGE005.jpg

This next shot shows that same red cable running to the side of the monitor where it connects to the long black-wrapped cable that runs all the way around the monitor:
IMAGE006.jpg

So.. any ideas on how to degauss this beast? Hope its something easy. I've already shocked myself once tonight.. don't think I want to do that again anytime soon. :oh_no:

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Please be Very carefull messing around back there as that shock could be deadly...

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
chris1 said:
Please be Very carefull messing around back there as that shock could be deadly...

Ditto. Be ultra careful when touching around monitor's backs, it's very
dangerous, it's like a fucking bomb. Get help from a technician instead.

Sememmon

Crazed MVS Addict
No worries. =] Thanks for the concern.

The shock was an unrelated issue. I'm actually pretty comfortable working around back there. Just a bit boggled as to how that whole degaussing thing works.

From the sound of things, it does so automatically at power-on.. but I'm not sure. was hoping someone could enlighten me.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
(it does so automatically at power-on)

I'm pretty sure it does...

What type of cab is this..?

Our resident monitor Tech ttooddddyy should see this soon..

Sememmon

Crazed MVS Addict
chris1 said:
I'm pretty sure it does...

What type of cab is this..?

Our resident monitor Tech ttooddddyy should see this soon..

A neo-geo mvs-4-25 big-red.

Sememmon

Crazed MVS Addict
It appears that it is automatic..? The funky discoloration has magically vanished. =]

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Sememmon said:
From the sound of things, it does so automatically at power-on.. but I'm not sure. was hoping someone could enlighten me.

All monitors and TVs have automatic degaussing which works only on initial power up when the monitor is cold. Some have an additional button to degauss after the cab has been moved (shifting a crt will distort the purity due to the earths magnetic flux)