Definitive "I just got an old school system" thread.

taitai

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
I just got a Saturn. What accessories, other than the VF Stick Pro, do I need now? What games other than VF2, VF Kids, Panzer Dragoon(and Zwei), NiGHTS and Virtual On?

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member
taitai said:
I just got a Saturn. What accessories, other than the VF Stick Pro, do I need now? What games other than VF2, VF Kids, Panzer Dragoon(and Zwei), NiGHTS and Virtual On?

Final Fight: Revenge.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
If you're going to buy some American region games first, go for Burning Rangers. I can't stress that enough. I have no idea how much it goes for now, but it's a fantastic game and only playable with the language you know.

Never played the first PD, but Zwei's aged...not just in graphics, either.
Star Fox 64 knocks the crap out of it, even though I haven't played that one in years, I know it does.

Also, this is for Lagduf's inevitable post:
shut up YOU'RE WRONG.

Double also, Nights sucks.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
LoneSage said:
If you're going to buy some American region games first, go for Burning Rangers. I can't stress that enough. I have no idea how much it goes for now, but it's a fantastic game and only playable with the language you know.

Star Fox 64 knocks the crap out of it, even though I haven't played that one in years, I know it does.

shut up YOU'RE WRONG.

You know me well.

Zwei vs Starfox 64...Now there is a good debate. To the war room? Panzer Dragoon is probably the weakest shooter in the entire series. I like Zwei the best, but the gameplay in Orta is better.

PS: Lonesage, i wasn't "amazed" by NiGHTS when it came out, but to be fair to those who love it - I didn't give it a whole lot of play.

SATURN GAMES (if you can find/get them)

Panzer Dragoon Saga
Guardian Heroes
Dragon Force
Shining Mission 3

You might want to get Virtua Cop 1 and 2, Sega Rally, and Daytona USA as well.
Dark Saviour

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
I'd go for fighters megamix, doesent need a ram cart and last i checked the import was worth like 5 bucks, Donno about NA version

personally i think daytona is better enjoyed on dreamcast however (framerate)

jdotaku

Angel's Love Slave
Dragon force seems to go for about 70 bucks in fact a local pawn has a copy if anyone wants I can pick it up for them for a bit extra

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
jdotaku said:
Dragon force seems to go for about 70 bucks in fact a local pawn has a copy if anyone wants I can pick it up for them for a bit extra

How much is your local pawn shop selling it for? I don't see many pawn shops around that are actually knowledgable w/ regard to high value older games.

jdotaku

Angel's Love Slave
70 bucks is what they're selling it for. So I'd have to charge shipping at least this place is games only and has everything from odyssey to ps3 I don't believe they have any games over 100 bucks though

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
jdotaku said:
70 bucks is what they're selling it for. So I'd have to charge shipping at least this place is games only and has everything from odyssey to ps3 I don't believe they have any games over 100 bucks though

Ah, so it's more like a used electronics store.

Real pawn shops (with tvs, stereos, tools, guns, movies, etc) sometimes are hiding hidden gems of games for ultra low $$$.

SSS

neo retired
LoneSage said:

shut up YOU'RE WRONG.

You think PDZwei's aged in graphics? It's probably some of the best for the system. Burning Rangers looks so shitty it's not even funny. Most extreme case of polygon clipping in a game I've ever seen.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Don Pachi
Don Don Pachi
Layer Section
Layer Section II
Thunder Force V
Anarchy in the Nippon (kick ass fighter.. like VF)
Sheinryu
Soukyugurentai
Kaitai Daisensou
Last Bronx
Savaki
Kyuukyoku Tiger II Plus
Metal Slug
X-Men vs Street Fighter
Street Fighter Zero 3
Dynamite Deka
Darius Gaiden
Sengoku Blade
Sexy Parodius

Any SNK Fighter

... and anything else mentioned above(except FF: Revenge).. like RS.. etc..

Accessories:

Pro Action Replay Plus
Hori Saturn Fighting Sticks

Last edited:

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Vampire Savior
Princess Crown
Cyberbots
Dungeons&Dragons Collection
Parodius Da! Deluxe Pack