Debios Chip - What is it?

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I'd offer to socket the BIOS for you as I'm in Canada too, but I sliced some of my right thumb off in an accident a couple of days ago, I can't solder for a while.
Ouch... sorry to hear that. Hope you get well soon.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Man that sounds serious! I hope you're alright and I hope you get as close to 100% recovery as possible. It must still be very sore.

Thanks for the details on the bios and the offer. This forums is amazing for quick replies!

I hope so too. It's not particularly sore today, no other complications other than severed nerves, must be making a decent recovery.

If you need a BIOS socketing, there must be some other people in Canada who could do that for you here.

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
I would offer to do it here, but shipping costs between the USA and Canada are not exactly the best.

Thanks for the offer! You're right, as soon as a package crosses the border the rates get jacked right up.

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
I hope so too. It's not particularly sore today, no other complications other than severed nerves, must be making a decent recovery.

If you need a BIOS socketing, there must be some other people in Canada who could do that for you here.

I have soldering gear because I've been meaning to get into it and learn the ropes. But this doesn't sound like a good project to start with! I'd be as nervous as bomb disposal tech.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
It's really not. I consider a bios install a piece of cake now, but it was the first thing I tried to do like 12 years ago and it did not end well, had to send it to someone to fix it.

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
It's really not. I consider a bios install a piece of cake now, but it was the first thing I tried to do like 12 years ago and it did not end well, had to send it to someone to fix it.

Thanks for the confirmation! You might have spared from thinking that maybe I possibly could. I get dumb like that sometimes...

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
Thanks for the confirmation! You might have spared from thinking that maybe I possibly could. I get dumb like that sometimes...

Haha yea for sure man. Probably best to get your skills up on some cheaper boards than that!

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
The easiest way to practice socketing a chip is to get a Genesis cartridge PCB, nearly all of them are single sided. They're very easy to desolder, do a couple and you should have the basic idea down. Just remove the solder from each pin, take the chip out, place the socket and solder it in. A Neo Geo main board is double sided and takes more heat and effort to completely free each BIOS pin, but it's not too difficult once you've done some desoldering.