Dead CP III game

Claiborne

n00b
What can cause a CPS III cart to go bad? Is there anyway to fix these? Or is it a lost cause? Thanks!

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
CPS3 games have suicide batteries in the security cart. Once the battery dies, the encryption key is lost and the game is no good. As far as I've heard, it is impossible to recover a dead cart.

MuKuro

Overtop Pathfinder
15 Year Member
CPS3 cartridge, expecially the first releases like Warzard, SFIII and SFIII2i dead cause power supply not perfect set or not properly working.
The first release wich have a GND wired battery are still very risk when you change the battery...and also require a perfect working power supply.

Claiborne

n00b
Thanks to both of you. I am going to have to check the power supply a little closer because I know the battery is not the problem.

MuKuro

Overtop Pathfinder
15 Year Member
Basically you must check your power supply, expecially on power up when it start...just a little overvoltage or undervoltage will kill your cart.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Claiborne said:
Thanks to both of you. I am going to have to check the power supply a little closer because I know the battery is not the problem.

It is now. That cart's fucked. I just had this problem with mine. People put a lot of emphasis on the pow supply, but I just don't know about that. My SF3 NG machine played fine. I got TS, and had a black screen. Those carts are very touchy indeed. My TS was dead without touching the pow supply at all. I don't think it's so much that as after changing the battery "successfully", you can still ruin the cart. Yes, that's one of the main reasons...

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
MuKuro said:
Basically you must check your power supply, expecially on power up when it start...just a little overvoltage or undervoltage will kill your cart.

I don't agree. Didn't Mr Megalo say that his CPS3 wouldn't work on his 50 inch cab until he turned the pow supply up? After that, then it would work. Going by your logic, undervoltage should have killed this cart...and it didn't. There's much to learn about this messed up, fragile hardware.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Computer logic works from 0 to 5v... go higher than 5.25v and you risk blowing logic gates inside of chips... go lower than 4.75 and it will act flakey but shouldn't be damaged.