Dat halo

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
You should really play Reach, it's the best Halo imo.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
As far as fun goes, the original Halo is still the best one, to me. I enjoyed the LAN party stuff, or even using some hacky way of playing on line, XLink Kai or some shit. It was fun. Multiplayer got some extra breath into it after the PC version came out too.

I've played though all the mainline games (fuck the RTS games) and none of them have come close to the original in terms of fun and wonder. But I have to admit, Infinite is still pretty fun.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Reach had a well told story.

The multiplayer was absolutely a step in the wrong direction - though I don’t fault them for trying something new.

Halo was absolutely amazing at the time. The campaign was just nuts.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Reach had a well told story.

The multiplayer was absolutely a step in the wrong direction - though I don’t fault them for trying something new.

Halo was absolutely amazing at the time. The campaign was just nuts.
The Fall of Reach is the only Halo novel I've read (which the game is based on and sorta rewrites parts). But it was a thoroughly enjoyable read. I meant to read the others but never ended up picking them up.

I agree, Halo's mythos is a pretty cool story.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
I never played Halo.
I remember hearing shit loads of hype for the original halo, such things like "you can go inside every building in the game that you come across while roaming around."
I asked for an xbox and halo for xmas when i was err... 12 or 13. Got the system and Halo. Set it up, first thought was "why does he look like Doom Guy?" played for a bit then "man this controller is fucking retarded" followed by "oh that's funny, the aliens curse at you." I was utterly disenchanted by 2 hours of playing.
I tried the game 2 or 3 more times over the next week. Maybe gave it 5 hours of my time before deciding it sucked and went back to playing Doom 2 and my other consoles. Sold the xbox like a month later at a pawn shop for a bass guitar amp. Lol

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
As far as fun goes, the original Halo is still the best one, to me. I enjoyed the LAN party stuff, or even using some hacky way of playing on line, XLink Kai or some shit. It was fun. Multiplayer got some extra breath into it after the PC version came out too.

I've played though all the mainline games (fuck the RTS games) and none of them have come close to the original in terms of fun and wonder. But I have to admit, Infinite is still pretty fun.

As a single player campaign, Halo 1 is great right up until you get the the Flood, then the game just isn't much fun for most of the rest of the game. It's pretty neat the first time when the game just unexpectedly takes a turn into survival horror, but on replays it's just a chore going through floors and floors of the same shit chasing the Monitor and fighting of wave after wave of boring bad guys. Thankfully it picks up again right at the end and the last part is pretty awesome.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Yeah but I really liked the Library level, lol. Thats the one where you're chasing the monitor, 343 Guilty Spark. I know it was real samey, but I always had a blast, especially on co-op in that part.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Yeah the flood were annoying on repeat playthrough especially on legendary.

The ability to play split screen co-op campaign was also great.

I can see why people who were playing PC FPS wouldn’t be interested but for console gamers whose best FPS were previously Golden Eye and Perfect Dark then Halo was quite a big deal.

To my knowledge there still hasn’t been a game that feels quite like Halo as far as multiplayer is concerned. The longer time to kill, combined with the holy trinity of guns, grenades, and melee is still unparalleled at least in the FPS I’ve played.

I’m admittedly a halo fanboy since the first game.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
As a single player campaign, Halo 1 is great right up until you get the the Flood, then the game just isn't much fun for most of the rest of the game. It's pretty neat the first time when the game just unexpectedly takes a turn into survival horror, but on replays it's just a chore going through floors and floors of the same shit chasing the Monitor and fighting of wave after wave of boring bad guys. Thankfully it picks up again right at the end and the last part is pretty awesome.
I was all about the couch co-op.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I can see why people who were playing PC FPS wouldn’t be interested but for console gamers whose best FPS were previously Golden Eye and Perfect Dark then Halo was quite a big deal.
When the Xbox came out, a friend was working tech support for Microsoft, and kept talking the console up and gabbed on and on about Halo because he'd been flown out to Redmond to train on support and got to play it.

I just wasn't interested for this reason exactly. I'm by no means a good FPS player, but I was like FPS on a controller sucks buttholes. But after playing it, I was like oh damn - this works great. That said - I've been playing Infinite on my PC with a mouse/keyboard and it. is. titties.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Finished the campaign tonite. All in all a fun ride. I just wish Covenant/Banished vehicles played a bigger part and that they could be called in. The FOBs and the call-in of vehicles seemed too, I dunno... easily accessible. And truth be told once you get the Wasp, there's really no point in calling in any other vehicles.

Last fight/boss seemed too easy (I played on normal). The bossfight with.... the monkey guy with asthma.. Ester, or something. His fight was more challenging than the last fight.

Still though, it felt way better than Halo 4 and 5, and definitely more "Halo." I was definitely glad to see that you can continue to explore after the credits roll though. I was worried the rest of the place would be locked out until a new game was started.

I will say - with no spoilers - that one of the reveals of the story made me think of the "Landfill" joke in Beerfest. Go through all this hullabaloo about Landfill dying in that beer factory, only to have his identical twin brother show up and say "I know everything Landfill did, so you can just call me Landfill and it'll be like he never died!" :D

I had fun with the game. I'll prob play through it again. I haven't done that since Halo 3.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Finally sat down and beat the campaign.

Really enjoyed the game. The open world aspects were a lot of fun.

The scripted, instanced missions were all fairly samey and somewhat lackluster. Would have liked a little more variation and/or some scripted missions that took place on the over world.

Didn’t feel like we did anything as epic as in say Halo 3 or even Reach like when we blew up some scarab tanks.

Really solid game overall and I’m still playing multi just about everyday with friends.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Got to 100 in the battle pass.

Complainers whining about not being able to progress are dumb. I await the inevitable backlash when ppl complete the pass and then “have nothing to do.”

Maybe they could try playing the game for…fun?

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member

Complainers whining about not being able to progress are dumb. I await the inevitable backlash when ppl complete the pass and then “have nothing to do.”

It was really stupid at first - You would need to play 4-5 games to get 50xp. That's 100 matches to level up 1 level. They tweaked it after literally the first 2 days or so. lol

I hit the level cap the day before the campaign dropped. Now I'm bored - the new event that launched this week I already finished, and the special week challenges have already been completed by me too. I'm still playing a lot but when friends aren't online it's not holding my attention as much.

I never cared about my level or unlocks in the other games, but I mean...this is a pretty barebones release.

BTB is currently broken. Custom games are currently broken. Custom game settings are missing features. The game has only 4 gametypes (strongholds/total control, 2 Flag CTF with 1 flag only working on 1 map, slayer, and oddball and 10 maps. With only 5 playlists to choose from (one of which is currently broken). It's the most limited game content wise in the entire franchise. Even Halo CE launched with 13 maps and 5 gametypes.

I still love it and really eager to see the rest of the content.

Last edited:

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I finished the campaign a few days ago, and it was really, really good, easily the best FPS campaign I've played in quite a while.

The relatively small variety of enemies was interesting to me- I saw a few different reviews and/or posts complaining that it's not enough variety, but IMO it made it so 343 was able to polish and balance every encounter to a really high degree. The last level and boss fight in particular showed that off. It's, I dunno, 90 minutes straight of all-out fighting, with a pretty savage combination of enemies at times, and it never once got old or felt like a chore to get through.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I'm very slowly working through the campaign, a couple hours a night on some days. It's fun. I skipped the multiplayer altogether.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year

Dang, I havent played in a week or two, but I played each day when the MP came out and I'm only at like level 30 I think. Howd you pull that shit off? Did they increase the XP bonus by a lot?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I’ve played most days since release and gone for the challenges.

They did up xp after the first week. if you play 6 matches a day you’ll gain one level even if you don’t complete any challenges.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Big Team Battle playlist appears busted still (and has been for a few weeks) but seems to be getting worst.

I’m gutted as BTB is a lot of fun.

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Anyone else playing in ranked mode? I hit Platinum yesterday but progress seems complete tied to your team winning as opposed to your actual personal stats. We "beat" another team the other day where 2 people quit pretty early on and still ranked up after we won.

Also capture the flag is terrible, at least in ranked mode.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I finished the campaign a few days ago, and it was really, really good, easily the best FPS campaign I've played in quite a while.

The relatively small variety of enemies was interesting to me- I saw a few different reviews and/or posts complaining that it's not enough variety, but IMO it made it so 343 was able to polish and balance every encounter to a really high degree. The last level and boss fight in particular showed that off. It's, I dunno, 90 minutes straight of all-out fighting, with a pretty savage combination of enemies at times, and it never once got old or felt like a chore to get through.

The lack of enemy variety actually worked to the game's advantage imo. The enemies themselves had a lot of variety in equipment, tactics, and intelligence. Also in other Halo games fighting the covenant was the most fun, and in most cases when your were fighting other types of enemies you often just wish you were back to fighting Covenant again.

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
I finished this seasons battle pass today. I'll probably go back to ranked mode since that got reset and see if I can't make some headway there.