Dark video out from MV2F through NTSC encoder

SnappleMan

n00b
I have this old Namco VG84 encoder board that I want to mess with and when testing it on my MV1C via JAMMA the picture looks killer (at least on Svideo, composite is terrible). I'm powering it from the main PSU with +5V. But then I plugged it into my consolized MV2F that I made back in 2001, (using the connector going to the JROK board) and the picture had super bad contrast, whites were neon yellow and the brightness was all over the place. So I made a new connector with terminated 75ohm resistors and 220uf caps (the only thing I could think of since I have no idea what adding those actually does) and it looks almost perfect, but too dark.

My question is what's the difference between the two boards that could be causing this? The MV1C is unmodded (except the battery), the MV2F is fully modded running off 5V. The psu I'm using for the MV2F is only 2.5A and maybe that's not enough for both? So in lieu of doing anything else to the RGB output should I buy at least a 3A psu and see if that does it? Or is it just a matter of using correct value resistors+caps on the RGB lines?

Also maybe worth noting that the VG84 uses a CXA1645 and there's a whole mess of what looks like voltage dividers on the RGB inputs.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Both boards have different RGB levels. MV1C is usually the highest.