Daily Check: What shooters are you guys playing ATM?

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
Been playing Seibu Keihatsu stuff lately, Raiden DX, Raiden Fighters, Viper Phase 1, etc. For some reason I slept on these games for a long time while enjoying more brightly colored and frantic stuff from Cave, but I'm quite enjoying these now.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
I just escaped 1942 (Capcom Arcade Stadium).

It devolved from limiting credits to credit feeding to using the rewind, which is something I have never done in any game. The game is way, way too long, and I think the poop flavored icing on top are the squadrons of power up planes that crisscross on the later bonus stages and can easily catch you unaware and not fast enough.

I'm curious to see the evolution of this series, as I don't think I've played any of the others, and I had only casually wasted quarters on this one in arcades decades ago.

Last edited:

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
I just escaped 1942 (Capcom Arcade Stadium).

It devolved from limiting credits to credit feeding to using the rewind, which is something I have never done in any game. The game is way, way too long, and I think the poop flavored icing on top are the squadrons of power up planes that crisscross on the later bonus stages and can easily catch you unaware and not fast enough.

I'm curious to see the evolution of this series, as I don't think I've played any of the others, and this one I had only casually wasted quarters on arcades decades ago.
I was playing some 1942 via the Capcom Arcade Cabinet on PS3 last week, actually. Same gripes, along with the....music? Sound design? It's hard to listen to. Make sure to give 1944: The Loop Master some time, though. I've had a great time with that one these last few years.

Lately I've been chipping through Andro Dunos as I've never really given the game much time. Much fun, and solid difficulty until stage 5 where things go ape shit. lol.

Rotated the monitor to Tate in my Dynamo HS1 today as well so I could install my RayForce PCB. Been playing that one a LOT this year on my supergun set up, so I wanted to give the board a permanent home for a while. So I'm sure I'll be playing this even more. Best is a 7cc so far.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Been sinking most of my spare time into Dodonpachi on the Saturn. I really don't understand why this port gets some much hate. The voice effects are off in a few places, but other than that it's great fun, and I really enjoy the "Saturn Version"... I had the PlayStation version for a very long time, but can't say as I enjoyed playing it as much as this.

I know neither port is 100% accurate, and especially looked down upon by the PCB spergs, but I'd thoroughly recommend the Saturn game to those who aren't emotionally involved in their Cave fixes.

KGRAMR

Another Striker
I've been playing Dinoforce on PC Engine and BlaZeon on SNES. Once of these days i'll 1CC Trouble Shooter on the Sega Genesis.

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
I started back up on DDP DOJ this weekend. God I love this game. It's so intense. To me it's about as far as a shooter can go with difficulty, any more and it's way over my head.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Ketsupachi.
Might be top work from Cave for me, save Steep Slope Sliders, and Uo Poko.

Eh, I like what I like. 🤷

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Strikers and Cotton 2.

I grow more appreciative of the Strikers series each time I dig into one of them. Can't get past stage 5, but i'm getting close.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Strikers and Cotton 2.

I grow more appreciative of the Strikers series each time I dig into one of them. Can't get past stage 5, but i'm getting close.
Strikers and Cotton 2.

Nice Mike, yeah I really like the Strikers series. I had the Strikers 45 port on the PS1 it was great I need to see if there is a compilation on the 360 of these as it's the most current system I have now so may be out of luck.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
For some reason I only seem to come to this thread to bitch. I played Gradius and Life Force in-between and enjoyed both, but now I've moved on to 1943. It's a noticeable improvement over 1942, and I actually like the life bar, which is shocking. However, the game is just way too long. I finished level 15 and then looked up how many more there were, and it's too damn many.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
This past week I played ACA Turbo Force on PS4. Never tried it and being a fan of Aerofighters it isn’t bad. It definitely feels like they were working out what works before they made that series.

I also played some Mushi on the switch since I finally got around opening up my copy.

Superfamifreak

Ralf & Clark's Drinking Buddy
20 Year Member
For some reason I only seem to come to this thread to bitch. I played Gradius and Life Force in-between and enjoyed both, but now I've moved on to 1943. It's a noticeable improvement over 1942, and I actually like the life bar, which is shocking. However, the game is just way too long. I finished level 15 and then looked up how many more there were, and it's too damn many.

30+ Isn't it? Same as Varth. Great game but just goes on forever!

Superfamifreak

Ralf & Clark's Drinking Buddy
20 Year Member
24 in this one I believe. Once you're past about 10, it might as well be infinite though.

Varth is similarly long. I think the last few stages are effectively a boss rush from what i remember.

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
Raptor Call Of The Shadows (1994)

52JnPPw.jpg

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
The English arcade version of 1943 - The Battle of Midway has 16 levels to it, the Japanese version known as 1943 Kai - Midway Kaisen has more levels (24?) and the levels are longer than the other. Until recently, I used to hold the world's record on 1943 until someone finally broke the 3 million threshold, which I theorized was possible but not probable.

J-P

NEST Puppet
I finally got the PS4 Slim hooked up to a cabinet (via an HD Fury for video), so I'm now playing some Progear via Capcom Arcade Stadium (which seems to run very nicely) and a bit of Ketsui Deathtiny.

I also just popped the new Pocky and Rocky Reshrined on there, so I will be blasting through that along with Drainus. It scales really nicely to 4:3.

It's not a shmup but I was not impressed with the controls on Xenocrisis for the neo... pain in the arse to roll.

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
Jikkyō Oshaberi Parodius : Forever with Me
(Sega Saturn)

another variant of Parodius. Great game, but a bit harder compared to original game.

tDRG

n00b
I've been getting back into Ketsui a little lately, planning to get into Esprade soon. In the mood for some Radiant Silvergun too.

Samson

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Noob of the Year
Played through Magical Chase for the TurboGrafx/Pc Engine earlier this week. Really fun cute-em-up that has a cool shield system where you can position the stars next to Ripple to create a good defensive strategy that also helps in shooting certain enemies. It also has a great soundtrack by the legendary OgreBattle and Gauntlet IV composer Hitoshi Sakimoto, with the Stage 5 theme being my personal favorite. Here is the soundtrack on youtube. It is highly worth listening to.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Xbox store had Ikaruga on sale for $1.99 so I got that.
Then I saw they also had Radiant Silvergun for $3.74, so I got that too.
😬