Daft Punk: Random Access Memories - A Brilliant Experiment Gone Awry

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
For me Daft Punk is and will forever be a part of our gaming lexicon. Whether it’s their electronic sound that affords them such a relation by proxy or simply a sharing of a universal demographic, the two are inseparable. So I felt it only natural to review this album. That and my love of their music over the years doesn’t hurt either.

Da Funk

When I first heard to the lead single “Get Lucky” from Daft Punk’s upcoming “Random Access Memories”, I was left slack jawed from the hand of funk which had slapped me upside the head. The intro bass groove backed by a solid drum rhythm leading to the chunky melodic guitar licks of Nile Rogers flowing seamlessly into the bright and poppy vocals of Pharrell, it was spot on. And just when your ears itched to hear the soulful robotic harmonies of the duo, they come in with impeccable timing. Pitch perfect collaboration

A few weeks back, some friends and I found ourselves sitting in my basement listening to the track extolling its’ glory. In that moment sitting there slowly bobbing our heads to the beat in coincidental unison, it felt like we were listening to a song from an alternate 1970; Inherently familiar yet uniquely vibrant. It was like I had heard it before but not phrased this exact way.

Like the rest of my grooving compadres, I was excited and anxious as the release date approached. With the magical day finally here, only one question remains: does RAM work or does it fail? Well yes and no.

Short Circuit

So let’s get back to the concept of collaboration, a key element the album hinges on. As a musician myself I’ve always felt the best collaborations are those which meld the individual styles of the players into one harmonious amalgamation. A little bit of everyone wrapped into a singular whole. In the case of Daft Punk, I was expecting an album featuring Daft Punk as the core with sprinklings of other contributors. A little Nile Rogers pepper and Pharrell salt perfectly seasoning the Daft Punk filet mignon.

You remember playing that prank on your friends? You know the one where you would unscrew the pepper shaker so the metal top precociously sat on top? Then as your victim went to season their food it would pour all over their meal in a cascade of black and white flakes? This would not only ruin their meal but ensure many a laugh was had? In way that’s exactly what RAM feels like (sans the laughter).

Highlighting an artist or verse which showcases a collaborator for an extended period of time is understandable. That is not the case with the majority of RAM. Instead of adding to the flavor, many of the “collaborators” seem to overtake the sonic space until there is little to nothing of Daft Punk left. It leaves you with a bitter taste in your ear, or mouth I should say.

One More Time

The other missing component of RAM found in previous efforts from Daft Punk is the repeatability factor. That little craving which pulse into your finger to press the back button during the last five seconds to hear it just one more time. One more enjoyment which leads to innumerable other enjoyments. Not including “Get Lucky”, there were very few songs I desperately wanted to hear again. Sometimes I couldn’t wait to move to the next song.

I rarely felt a need to stay in the space for more than the time allotted. I have always found Daft Punk’s music to be simple upon first listen yet infinitely complex upon further plays. Like picking out one conversation from a chorus to truly comprehend it. Following a phrases in one song led me to repeat it again thereby allowing me to listen to a different musical conversation. RAM’s “conversations” so to speak feel more shallow and don’t have the same depth of previous offerings by the band. This leads us to another issue.

Too Long

Yes Daft Punk has been known to author songs whose length easily cracks the ten minute mark. Some may argue ‘Alive 2007′ is essentially one big run on sentence o’ music. And I would agree. For all intents and purposes ‘Alive 2007′ mashes together their songs into a chaotic fusioned creation; but it worked. However RAM seems unable to attain this same happy medium.

The first hint of trouble begins with track three’s ‘Giorgio by Moroder’. At the five minute mark, the song feels resolved. The musical idea is expressed and at this point my mind is ready to move on. No new ideas are introduced, and the core song elements are not interesting enough in and of themselves to analyze any further. Yet the song continues for almost another four minutes nearly doubling the length. Continuing the song past a certain point only waters down the impact of the entire piece. This leaves us with an experience bloated and empty.

Track three also introduces an odd styling. The track starts well enough, but then a voice begins to regale us with a story. A biography of sorts. It’s not that the story isn’t interesting. Nor is the impact Giorgio has on music culture irrelevant. I would have certainly welcomed this as a bonus track, but as part of the main line up it doesn’t seem to fit. Like a random road bump on the freeway, it only serves to slow down the pace.

The Game Has Changed

It’s not all gloom and doom ladies and gentlemen. I for one welcome the new direction Daft Punk takes with this album. It’s an experiment. In fact if I had one word to describe “Random Access Memories” it would be “experiment”. I was encouraged to see such an iconic duo try something different. As an artist of any allegiance it has to be nerve racking to take such a gamble. The idea of Daft Punk mixing their signature sound with so many other diverse artists is a feat unto itself. Forsaking much of their digital upbringing in favor of a more warm funky analog soundscape may cause concern for some. To me it felt right.

If I had one word to describe “Random Access Memories” it would be “experiment”

When an artist takes such a departure, many artists try to strike a balance. A balance which maintains the sonic vibes of their past efforts, thereby appeasing old and current fans, while still introducing enough fresh elements to bring new fans into the fold. RAM cannot seem to find that magical teetering point. Because of this, the album feels lost in a limbo neither satisfying the old or the new.

Digital Love

For all it’s flaws, RAM is a labor of love. At no time during my multiple listens did it come off as disingenuous. Watching the collaborators series gave me a case of the happies. Seeing the love, thought and effort put into this album made me feel honored to be a part of the experience. These artists weren’t making your run of the mill cheap guest appearance. This wasn’t about picking up a check for the session and having their credits in the liner notes. This was about making something intimately cared for and nurtured. Experimenting with what had been and what could be.

And in that we come to the crux of this album. You see some experiments work flawlessly. They turn out just as we hoped without so much as a hitch. On the other hand even the most well-intentioned experiments can fail. It is indeed a random accessing of memories. Some of which are good, others which are flat out bad, while still others just sit in the middle. When the album finds its true North, in such tracks as “Get Lucky”, “Give Life Back to Music”, and “Lose Yourself To Dance”, the results are astounding. Conversely tracks such as “Touch”, “Fragments of Time”, and “Contact” do not work as amazing new creation or an homage to their creators. The rest of the tracks on the album sit somewhere in purgatory.

End of Line

Those expecting the second coming of “Discovery” or “Human After All” will be sorely dissapointed. RAM does not provide the listener with the kinetic house beats long time fans are so accustomed to. Though the absence of their signature electronic dance music isn’t why this album inevitably falls apart.

I really had high hopes for this album. Maybe I’m judging it purely from my enthusiasm for the lead track “Get Lucky”. Maybe my opinion is tainted by such a strong single making it difficult to have an objective frame of mind. To be honest, I would have been satisfied if “Get Lucky” was the only track like it on the album. “Get Lucky” doesn’t work by the nature of its speed or funkiness. It works because it’s a testament of how a perfectly executed collaboration can create these few minutes of unadulterated goodness.

RAM is akin to a experimental steam machine. When the separate parts and gears of the machine work together in unison, it moves graceful and effortlessly. However when the parts works against one another, it brings an imbalance in turn causing the machine to stutter and at times fail. Like all experiments, while not perfect it’s an endeavor of love.

And in that it I suppose the experiment of RAM succeeds in its own way.

Even if I don’t enjoy the end results.

Last edited:

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I don't get why people think this is that wild of a departure from old Daft Punk. Did people skip most of Discovery or something?

I'll be reviewing this on my next podcast. I share next to nill of your opinion.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Daft Punk made some great tracks but I'm not a true fan overall. I also find the masks thing as stale as two weeks old bread.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
It's not like the album is hard to get or anything.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Daft Punk made some great tracks

Bingo.

Tracks not albums. Though their good tracks are usually very good.

I dig what they do for the most part and I'm sure their live shows are nuts but people are acting like this album is the second cumming of christ.

Wow instruments, so ground breaking with retro recording techniques! All these music "journalists" sound like fucking idiots.

There is so much amazing electronic music out there that goes unnoticed or gets dismissed because it's by a nobody or perceived to be part of a fad.

When I see Daft Punk collab with Pharrel I wanna puke.

But like I said some good tracks.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Bingo.

Tracks not albums. Though their good tracks are usually very good.

I dig what they do for the most part and I'm sure their live shows are nuts but people are acting like this album is the second cumming of christ.

Wow instruments, so ground breaking with retro recording techniques! All these music "journalists" sound like fucking idiots.

There is so much amazing electronic music out there that goes unnoticed or gets dismissed because it's by a nobody or perceived to be part of a fad.

When I see Daft Punk collab with Pharrel I wanna puke.

But like I said some good tracks.
That's the point though, they decided to say fuck it to their over-reliance on samples, samples that were so blatant it wasn't even funny. I think it's awesome that they decided to do something so different yet so similar. People are just getting huffy because they decided to not make a bunch of big house hits, because they matured as artists and wanted something new. Songs like Touch and Motherboard prove they're kind of over stuff like Robot Rock

This album isn't meant to be some crazy dance album or anything like that. Discovery wasn't really either.

It's like Alive 2007 screwed with everyone's perception of what they are like.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
The box from Amazon showed up this afternoon with the album, so I immediately sat down to listen. We ended up with a thunderstorm today, which was the perfect backdrop for my listen to the record in that the music reminded me of curling up with a good book and a warm drink on a rainy Sunday afternoon; it was just...soothing. I really like the tone of the album, and the maturity in which it's conveyed. I'm really glad I picked this up; I find it easy to forgive this album it's faults, there is just so much here that works.

Neo Yahtzee

Banned , racist pedophile and admitted statutory r
I LOVE Daft Punk, such a creative group but Homework will always be my favorite.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
That's the point though, they decided to say fuck it to their over-reliance on samples, samples that were so blatant it wasn't even funny. I think it's awesome that they decided to do something so different yet so similar. People are just getting huffy because they decided to not make a bunch of big house hits, because they matured as artists and wanted something new. Songs like Touch and Motherboard prove they're kind of over stuff like Robot Rock

This album isn't meant to be some crazy dance album or anything like that. Discovery wasn't really either.

It's like Alive 2007 screwed with everyone's perception of what they are like.

The biggest plus for this album is the fact they went in a different direction. I absolutely love the idea. Seeing Daft Punk use their notoriety to create something new like this is exciting. Problem is it doesn't work.

For instance, the song Touch. I'm sorry but Paul William's cheesy dying vocals with the funk background which then leads into one of the oddest ragtime-esque breakdowns I've yet to hear. It's plain bad.

I don't care if it's called Daft Punk or Half Pump. It's simply dull and boring.

As I said, it's an experiment which at times works and at times doesn't. And when it doesn't work, boy does it fall flat on its face.

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
I think perhaps the album needs to age a bit before more of it can be appreciated. I love the overall style that Daft Punk has chosen for RAM but not every track is a hit for me. I think I'm just too close to it right now and I need to see how my opinions change over time.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
I've listened to this the last few days and there is 3 songs I like a lot (3-10-13), the rest no so much.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
What's Daft Punk? Is that the new Radiohead album?

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
The biggest plus for this album is the fact they went in a different direction. I absolutely love the idea. Seeing Daft Punk use their notoriety to create something new like this is exciting. Problem is it doesn't work.

For instance, the song Touch. I'm sorry but Paul William's cheesy dying vocals with the funk background which then leads into one of the oddest ragtime-esque breakdowns I've yet to hear. It's plain bad.

I don't care if it's called Daft Punk or Half Pump. It's simply dull and boring.

As I said, it's an experiment which at times works and at times doesn't. And when it doesn't work, boy does it fall flat on its face.

Ragtime-esque? Lol what? The subtleties in that track are brilliant, the small audio effects, the digital swells. It's fantastic. The musical references to the following track, the slightly vocoded vocals that change in severity, the complete digital break down around 5:45. It works so well.

It's subtle, not blatant. It's headphone music, not background, sit on the couch in the basement music.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Ragtime-esque? Lol what? The subtleties in that track are brilliant, the small audio effects, the digital swells. It's fantastic. The musical references to the following track, the slightly vocoded vocals that change in severity, the complete digital break down around 5:45. It works so well.

It's subtle, not blatant. It's headphone music, not background, sit on the couch in the basement music.

Subtleties? My friend let's not be pretentious. There's nothing subtle about it. The only way the deathly croaky aged vocals of Paul Williams could have been any less subtle is if they would have turned it into a duet with Diane Rehm.

As far as the ragtime comment, just go to 3:25. The song goes into full peppy goof mode with a cheesy piano followed by trumpets from left field. It doesn't even fit. Though for an album titled "Random Access Memories" I guess I shouldn't be surprised at the head scratching randomness of it all. Not to mention the song is way too long. After the four minute mark it's still going. Then it gets slower introducing the robot vocals until a choir backs them up.

And it just keeps going.

And going.

And going.

The song should have stopped long ago, but here we are at over eight minutes. And this isn't the kind of "Purple Rain" wow this is really enjoyable keep it going kind of long. It's the kind of just end it already. As I said before, the musical thought has been expressed. The rest of the four minutes feels like it's simply filling up space. Nothing headphone worthy or intriguing, just there to be there.

The song is out of place, whether it was in this album or a previous Daft Punk album.

It sounds like you're trying way too hard to read in between the lines to find what isn't there. But hey if that's what makes the song feel better to you, knock yourself out.

Last edited:

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Subtleties? My friend let's not be pretentious. There's nothing subtle about it. The only way the deathly croaky aged vocals of Paul Williams could have been any less subtle is if they would have turned it into a duet with Diane Rehm.

As far as the ragtime comment, just go to 3:25. The song goes into full peppy goof mode with a cheesy piano followed by trumpets from left field. It doesn't even fit. Though for an album titled "Random Access Memories" I guess I shouldn't be surprised at the head scratching randomness of it all. Not to mention the song is way too long. After the four minute mark it's still going. Then it gets slower introducing the robot vocals until a choir backs them up.

And it just keeps going.

And going.

And going.

The song should have stopped long ago, but here we are at over eight minutes. And this isn't the kind of "Purple Rain" wow this is really enjoyable keep it going kind of long. It's the kind of just end it already. As I said before, the musical thought has been expressed. The rest of the four minutes feels like it's simply filling up space. Nothing headphone worthy or intriguing, just there to be there.

The song is out of place, whether it was in this album or a previous Daft Punk album.

It sounds like you're trying way too hard to read in between the lines to find what isn't there. But hey if that's what makes the song feel better to you, knock yourself out.

Ummm I wasn't referring to Paul Williams vocals aside from the vocoder effect, but rather the music.

And for someone who calls "pretentious" your last sentence kind of contradicts yourself.

PleaseKillMeNow

Aerobics Instructor,
I think Jedah's biggest problem is that he's putting too much thought into the music of Daft Punk. For a band that has said-

This album has a lot to do with our childhood and the memories of the state we were in at that stage of our lives. It's about our personal relationship to that time. It's less of a tribute to the music from 1975 to 1985 as an era, and more about focusing on the time when we were zero to ten years old. When you're a child you don't judge or analyze music. You just like it because you like it. You're not concerned with whether it's cool or not. Sometimes you might relate to just one thing in a song, such as the guitar sound. This album takes a playful, fun, and colorful look at music. It's about the idea of looking at something with an open mind and not asking too many questions. It's about the true, simple, and honest relationship you have with music when you're open to your own feelings.

-about one of their albums, you can see where this is a problem.

Somewhat contradictory, let's look at Discovery (the album being discussed in the quote) as the beginning of a trilogy. With Discovery, you have the music of childhood. Human After All was the snotty, teenage years. Random Access Memories is the ascent from young adulthood to full maturity. They may help ease some into what's on the disc.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member

Tell me about it, man.

Daft Punk turned into a phenomenon that goes beyond music and show. A friend of mine says that DP's style of electronic music is made for people who don't really like electronic music and never got what the revolution of the 80s and early 90s was about.

Ah well, wouldn't go as far as that, they have found their style, do their thing and many people seem to like it, that's really something for an electronic music act and I respect them for it. They have reached a technical level that is way up there, I'd never be able to even come close to their overall production quality, my lo-fi studio just isn't made for that.

They've also introduced sidechain-compressed bassdrums which sounded cool the first time but now that every wannabe "electro" (new style) producer seems to use it, it's starting to get on my nerves. That's another story, though.

Well, guess I better start working harder, better, faster, stronger on my stuff and wearing some robo helmets, eh. :D

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Under the "Daft Punk" name, I only cared for them in the 90's. Homework had a few nice tracks & they made some cool remixes in that era. They occasionally split to do side projects on their own and have made some great tracks. Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo under the alias "Le Knight Club"... and Thomas Bangalter simply going under his own name. IMO Thomas has all the talent out of the 2 & has done some fantastic work on his own.

I would say though that "Daft Punk" for me, died in the 90's.