Cuphead PC / Xbox

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
After being playing quite a lot... Hard Corps Uprising > Cuphead...

This game is overhyped

I wouldn't say it's overhyped, yes everyone loves it and it's gonna be like an overplayed radio song but I agree with your later statement. HCR is amazing, the liberty that game offers is just incredible and it's way more intense than cuphead, in fact HCR could be the best Run n' Gun I've ever played, in terms of playability/controls it raised the bar and it feels like the natural progression of where the genre should follow.

godzilla43

Geese's Thug
After being playing quite a lot... Hard Corps Uprising > Cuphead...

This game is overhyped

I would say those are two different games. Yes there are some run and gun stages but I think they added those stages later so the game would be longer. More like Contra rebirth million times better than Hard Corps Uprising.
Cuphead being overhyped well I don't think any game except Nintendos Zelda BOW or maybe the new Mario Odyssey would live up to all that press that Cuphead has received these couple years.
Hats of to those developers they made game that looks really like 30's cartoon I think it is fun to play and it is most visually stunning 2d game since Rayman Origins and Legends.
I bought it from Steam to support those developers.

Last edited:

Setsuna1982

World Her,
I would say those are two different games. Yes there are some run and gun stages but I think they added those stages later so the game would be longer. More like Contra rebirth million times better than Hard Corps Uprising.
Cuphead being overhyped well I don't think any game except Nintendos Zelda BOW or maybe the new Mario Odyssey would live up to all that press that Cuphead has received these couple years.
Hats of to those developers they made game that looks really like 30's cartoon I think it is fun to play and it is most visually stunning 2d game since Rayman Origins and Legends.
I bought it from Steam to support those developers.
Agreed on Contra Rebirth. The other day I did an experiment. After playing CupHead with my girlfriend up until the second island (amusement park) I loaded HC:Uprising. She was instantly "this feels way better. Why this game isn't as famous?", with the sole complaint that "the default weapon fires too slow".

And then a good'ol Contra 3 coop session. That finally blow her mind: "This is hard but not frustrating! How old is this game?"

And that pretty sums my opinion of Cuphead. It's not hard due to intelligent enemy planning. It's hard because they throw too much shit. Yes, enemies signal their attack, have nice patterns, etc. But 90% of the time there's a random element or something that feels "tacked-on" to increase difficulty. Beppi The Clown comes to mind with the ducks on the top part, with some of them randomly having a bulb, and then avoiding hard to see tracking "flying heads" on a moving platform with hazards. And don't forget the untrustworthy parry slap and sub-par dash.

As a friend said while watching us play the frog twins, "there's too much stuff moving everywhere".

It's not "challenging hard", it's "frustrating hard", as if the solution for making it harder was "put more stuff".

Last edited:

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
After getting some more play time in on the game, there are a few little things I find odd that bother me a bit.

Some of the random elements are a problem. One of the boss fights where you jump from cloud to cloud, sometimes there just isn't a cloud you can jump to without using your dash as they come kind of strange. I'll be standing there waiting for one to come on the screen but when it does then the monster attacks and there is no way to get to it.

The other thing is the super moves don't seem like they do very much. I've beat some bosses faster without using them than with using them.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
Im on the final stage right now, and while I like the game, I feel like its getting all this praise because its aesthetics. I know we should judge a game as whole piece, but the mechanics are nothing special, and the game really doesn't do anything different. I also have issues with some of the super attacks. Super I for example. Not sure why after the super is preformed I don't have the option to perform an action before falling to the ground and presumably taking damage.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I installed the game about two days ago and finished it last night. It's very apparent the devs played ALOT of treasure games. From stuff ripped out of Contra 3, to Black's dice maze from Gunstar. I really liked the game but I really didn't put it all together till after I beat it. As many have said, the run n gun stages really did feel tacked on and I wish there was more flow to how the game progressed. The stage hub I wasn't a fan of, wasn't fond of it in Wooly World either.
Another problem was the foreground in some areas, namely the Ghost Horse boss fight, I understand, it's like the tree in Sagat's stage in SF2. Ultimately it hurts the fight and should have been taken out. Outside of those little things, I thought the game was fun to play and a solid challenge for any level of player. Here's to hoping that Cuphead 2 will iron these things out.
Oh, and I was able to glitch some of the bosses into getting stuck or not attacking for some reason. Monkey shines boss I got to stick on the right side of the screen and just wacked him.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
The game is worth your time, the experience is fun regardless anyone's opinion. Now the thing is, you're gonna have fanboys and you're gonna have naysayers, that's a given. The overall concensus is positive, so why not give it a shot?

I mean, why take any of these opinions seriously? I was in when Hard Corps Rising was named, but then same guy said Rebirth is better than HCR, lol, Rebirth is a good game, but no, HCR is miles ahead of anything before it. Silly opinions, everyone's a god damn critic, lol.

In doucherie...

Setsuna1982

World Her,
The game is worth your time, the experience is fun regardless anyone's opinion. Now the thing is, you're gonna have fanboys and you're gonna have naysayers, that's a given. The overall concensus is positive, so why not give it a shot?

I mean, why take any of these opinions seriously? I was in when Hard Corps Rising was named, but then same guy said Rebirth is better than HCR, lol, Rebirth is a good game, but no, HCR is miles ahead of anything before it. Silly opinions, everyone's a god damn critic, lol.

In doucherie...

Yea HC UPrising is better than rebirth. Although I'm somewhat more inclined for the original Contra Hard Corps on the genny. It have a certain charm and the pacing seems a little bit better. And I don't think it's douchery or naysaying, I call it "having an opinion". The overall consensus is positive because the game is not bad by any means. But it's not the "be all end all" platformer that many people say. It's a gorgeous 7 out of 10 game.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
HCR only falls short on your ability to play it, generally speaking of course. The freedom in HCR can also work against you, unlike HC which is more robust in terms of "safety" in the controls, by no means is the game easier though, I'd say they're both up to par.

godzilla43

Geese's Thug
I was in when Hard Corps Rising was named, but then same guy said Rebirth is better than HCR, lol, Rebirth is a good game, but no, HCR is miles ahead of anything before it. Silly opinions, everyone's a god damn critic, lol.

Yeah that was little bit NGForum troll statement but I was not totally lying that was the first feeling when I played those games. HCR okay so it 3d contra with boring graphics and unforgettable music. Then when I played Contra rebirth even the opening intro is like WTF and the first stage music, frantic tempo of the game and the first boss when the ship explodes etc. I still sometimes go to youtube to listen stage 1 and 4A music. So if there is going to be new Contra I would want it to be more like Rebirth not HCR.

https://gamecola.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/contra-run-for-their-emancipation.jpg

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
You're validating shock value over gameplay, hey that's cool, everyone has a thing they favor.

I prefer Contra 4 over Rebirth, all day.

skotgun

Geese's Limo Driver
From what I've read/heard, the ex shots actually do more DPS than saving up for a full super. Hopefully that gets patched.