Cuphead PC / Xbox

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
it's one of those games that's going to make you go "this is so cool!".... while at the same time, getting pissed off and throwing your controller on the floor. then vowing never to play it again(then you continue)

p.s. is it just boss battle after boss battle? no actual levels?... :spock:

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
p.s. is it just boss battle after boss battle? no actual levels?... :spock:

From what I gathered hearing the dev talk in the last video, there will be platformer style gameplay as well. My understanding it is mostly boss battles though.

Setsuna1982

World Her,
Am I the only one that thinks the gameplay looks boring? The game looks SPECTACULAR, no doubt about it. But the battles are kinda "meh" and somehow too long, I don't have a sense of actually inflicting damage, as if the bosses were moving at their own pace ignoring the characters. I was really dissapointed when the first real gameplay videos started appearing. Maybe they're missing "battle damage" as in Metal Slug, or "flinch" animations, like Robot Masters in Megaman or bosses in Midnight Wanderers (Three wonders, CPS1) with their "Ughh!" sound effect, but something feels off:

Last edited:

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I agree with you Setsuna1982. The graphics are the big selling point no doubt(I plan to buy it myself). I am also disappointed with the "hit damage" & how it seems to take forever with each boss.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Gameplay is not that revolutionary, but I dont care. We lack good run and gun games.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
Setsuna does have a point. But keep in mind we're just seeing gameplay of a demo. Hopefully others who play the demo will give their input/feedback and offer suggestions that could improve the gameplay. I feel at the least, enemies flashing when hit or a lifebar of some sort.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Looks absolutely amazing, but the gameplay looks kinda blah. The platform sections need a little more variety, and should offer more in the way of challenging shooting instead of just spamming bullets.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
agreed. in the looks department it's one of the most gorgeous video games I have ever seen, seriously stunning, and probably watershed in terms of side scrollers - watch it set things off at Nintendo (maybe).
gameplay looks non existant. as in it appears to play off the quirky and rustic nature of early cartoons. the emptiness in the stages and the irrelevance of the action is within the same realm as how the cartoons of old where presented. to me at least. it is a strange kind of problem. in this case it works for the first 30 seconds and then you start to feel it getting a little aimless. still, I find it quite exiting that such a thing is made and might be built upon in the future.
I might be exaggerating a little about the gameplay. still I get a certain Op Opa vibe out of the enemy sizes and designs. and there are slight inconsistencies in the graphics. the onion boss for instance looks like it was drawn by the Ren & Stimpy guy for instance, which is cool but slightly off. also with that powerup token thing.

Last edited:

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Clearly "easy" mode.

Those boss fights don't even compare to what we've seen in the past.

And we have no platform gameplay to compare to as yet. I'm still keeping an open mind.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I'm agreeing with what has been said, the game looks beautiful and the music adds that 1930s toon feel. That said the game does look rather meh. I'm most likely buying this game anyways but it looks like it is no longer the killer app i thought it was going to be.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
And we have no platform gameplay to compare to as yet. I'm still keeping an open mind.

Did you watch the video?:scratch:

There definitely was some examples of platforming levels. But holy shit did the game play look bland as hell. Like a cross between a dumbed down Sonic meets Mega Man, again VERY dumbed down. If these guys want to have the potential of this game being a hit, they really need to listen to the feedback people are giving them. As much potential that this could have as being a groundbreaking 2-d game, it could even easier be a pile of shit that everyone disregards because of how boring it is.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
they should do on sony like for to vita

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
I've been waiting ages for this game to be released.
It look's the bomb, even more so considering it was coded in the main by two brothers.
Very talented guy's and i love the 30's cartoon style.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Did you watch the video?:scratch:

There definitely was some examples of platforming levels. But holy shit did the game play look bland as hell. Like a cross between a dumbed down Sonic meets Mega Man, again VERY dumbed down. If these guys want to have the potential of this game being a hit, they really need to listen to the feedback people are giving them. As much potential that this could have as being a groundbreaking 2-d game, it could even easier be a pile of shit that everyone disregards because of how boring it is.

I meant to say, we had no platform gameplay to compare with up until now.

Yes, I agree the platform gameplay looks bland. It also looks incredibly easy, and based on some of the earlier manic boss videos, I would be surprised if the current platform example was anything other than an "easy" mode.

Setsuna1982

World Her,

As much as I try to get hyped with this game... I can't. The art design is SUPERB and I appreciate all the INSANE work behind each sprite. But the platform stages are really dull and the boss fights WAY too long and repetitive. I've grown up during the 90's with great action shooters from Konami (Contra, Sunset Riders), Capcom (Mercs, Midnight Wanderers), Treasure (Gunstar, Alien Solider), SNK (Metal Slug)... And this game doesn't hit the same notes. Specially the boss fights, they are more an endurance test than skill.

I'm not saying that there's no skill involved, of course they are challenging but they drag SO MUCH and have so little variety that they actually become boring... I feel I'm not alone in that regard. I'll end up buying it because it's a genre I love but I'm kind of dissapointed, even before playing.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Cup head, Mug man....hidden character, Man Child!

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Game looks great, hoping things end up being a bit more difficult on the final revision, not too worried about them doing anything new, I can jump and shoot all day, don't need anything new but would like better level design, more intense BOSS battles and ramp up the difficulty.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
The game goes live in a couple of hours. Anyone else getting it? The reviews are good so far. A lot of mention of the difficulty, which I'm excited about. It'll be nice to have a modern released game that you can't simply walk through.

Day_Man

Hardened Shock Trooper
Im getting it gonna load it up after I get off work tonight.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Will play after work. I got an Xbox 360 to Xbox One controller converter in preparation for this since the D-pads are broken on both of my Xbox One controllers. The Xbox One D-pad is very bad, even with the Pro controller.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Definitely DL'ing it to night. Been looking forward to it for what, 2 years now?

Not expecting to be able to beat it.

K1ngArth3r

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
I just bought it in Steam, although I'm not sure how it'll run in a Windows 10 VM on my MBP :/

Was going to buy an XBOX One just for this, and maybe will if they bring out a physical version.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Bought it on XBone just because I have a bunch of Professorland Fun Bucks sitting on their service that I'll likely never spend.

Played through the first area last night. It's absolutely worth getting. It's gorgeous, has great attention to detail and the run-n-gunny aspects of it (boss patterns, using different shots on different levels/enemies, etc.) are all totally serviceable.

At this point, it's challenging but I find that has more to do with not knowing the mechanics well enough than really any challenging boss patterns or tight squeezes. My only real complaint I have at this point is often times there not being a lot of real estate to maneuver in when there's a big boss on the screen which makes for a lot of unnecessary guessing. Unless it really ratchets it up later on, I suspect I'll enjoy getting S-Rank on as many things as I can.