Crystalis (NES SNK games)

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
I'm currently playing Crystalis. I rented it when it first came out and loved it, though I never finished it.

It's not really a Zelda clone, more action-RPG than action-adventure, and I love the elemental sword and magic mechanics. It gives you a good amount of variation without being overwhelming or too limited.

I don't like how enemies are immune to certain elements, requiring the player to switch swords. I think it would be better with reduced damage.

I had to restart the whole game from near the end because of how the save and load game system works. It makes it easy to mistakenly save over your game, wiping out your progress, an annoying flaw.

The setting is great, it's a mix of fantasy and sci-fi that feels like something out of classic pulp adventure stories from the 60s-80s.

Crystalis is an example of a game that should have had a sequel or spiritual follow up, did SNK do anything remotely like it for any other platform?

What are your favorite NES or non Neo-Geo SNK games?

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
I'm currently playing Crystalis. I rented it when it first came out and loved it, though I never finished it.

It's not really a Zelda clone, more action-RPG than action-adventure, and I love the elemental sword and magic mechanics. It gives you a good amount of variation without being overwhelming or too limited.

I don't like how enemies are immune to certain elements, requiring the player to switch swords. I think it would be better with reduced damage.

I had to restart the whole game from near the end because of how the save and load game system works. It makes it easy to mistakenly save over your game, wiping out your progress, an annoying flaw.

The setting is great, it's a mix of fantasy and sci-fi that feels like something out of classic pulp adventure stories from the 60s-80s.

Crystalis is an example of a game that should have had a sequel or spiritual follow up, did SNK do anything remotely like it for any other platform?

What are your favorite NES or non Neo-Geo SNK games?

I've been looking to pick up Crystalis lately, never really gave it a chance.

I always thought Baseball Stars was easily a top 10 NES game.

P.O.W. and Guerrilla War are also very solid titles.

I always loved Crystalis as a kid. It remains one of my childhood games I still haven't beaten so I really should pick it up. It's surprisingly not too expensive for a Nintendo game. I'm rather unaware of other SNK NES games.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
It actually was a pretty good game. I may have to pick it back up.

Capitalistix

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Ive always wanted to try out Athena on NES, anyone do so? Thoughts?

mr.2jz

n00b
POW was one of my favourites, along with IKARI Warriors.

An earlier game I enjoyed was Vanguard II (similar to Xevious).

I've heard of Crystalis, and see the cartridge fairly often. I should check it out.

Phades

New Challenger
Crystalis is one of my all-time favorite NES games. I played through the entire thing with my mom when I was a kid. Pretty much the first game that my mom and I played together. She was largely responsible for getting me into gaming. I really should pick it up and let my kids try it out.

cyriades

Super Spy Agent
I remember renting the game when I was a kid, but didn't finish the game until after I bought the cart from a movie store back in 1997. Along with P.O.W. and Ikari III on NES, Crystalis started the SNK obsession for me!

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I've been thinking about the snk nes/fc catalog myself lately.

I recently picked up Ikari III not too long ago. I'm not wild about the non (minimal really) shooting/brawling gimmick, but It's alright.

I'm waiting on a copy of Datsugoku too.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
Iron Tank was one of my earliest NES rentals in 1989. I remember playing it for hours, I think it may be a game with no ending.

valgalder

Kula's Candy
Crystalis is one of the best ever, IMO. Great graphics, amazing music, which really nice atmosphere. My favorite RPG on the NES. Would have really loved to see a sequel.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I used to play Guevara with my brother on Famicom. I'd always make him use Castro.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I had it but never beat it. Iron Tank was a great game too.

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
I was never big into RPGs, but Crystalis was one of the games I played religiously after school until I beat it.

The big 3 back in the day for me were Zelda 1, Golvellius and Crystalis.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
i dont know what didnt jive with me and crystalis- but i never could get into it.

i do love athena for some odd reason, even though everyone hates it. my jam was guerrilla war though (which was a super fun port on the nes).

omegasit

Crossed Swords Squire
Crystalis was easily one of my favorite NES games. Played through it multiple times. Too bad they never made a sequel.

Metal-Willis

Super Sidekicks 2
When I first came across Crystalis back when it came out, it was a different kind of game than what I was used to seeing on the NES. First it was a pretty cool game, but seeing that SNK did it was surprising for me as well because it was different from most games I was familiar with them making. It was an RPG type game made by someone else rather than the other companies making them at the time.