Crystal of Kings Video/sync issues?

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Anyone had issues with this board? I just bought one from a well-known seller in China whom I've had plenty of good dealings with before. The board doesn't want to put out a solid video image - everything seems fuzzy and like it doesn't want to sync. It seems like I'm also getting Stray pixels, and thought a sprite might've flickered where it shouldn't.

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
Worked fine on my jnx gun. Are you using a scaler or something? Check cart contacts?

mmsadda

10 Year Member
Nope, tried on original cabs, voltages dialed in properly. Egret 2 and Blast City

Board looks very clean. Kinda suspecting bad solder joints somewhere or something, but figured I'd ask in case there's a known issue

mmsadda

10 Year Member
Seller posted on AP asking for someone who can repair. If anyone here wants to take it on, we'd gladly compensate them fairly.

Quick rundown -
I've tried 3 cabs - Egret 2, Blast, and Astro.

Same issues on each. Sprite glitches. Image gets a bit static-y like there's a sync issue, and a high-pitched whine that seems to fit with that idea.

Sound only works intermittently.

It's really hard to capture in pictures, but see the "Push P1 Start" text glitching. There's also red & green pixel "static" visible in the black sections between bricks in the intro sequence, and it has a generally wavy/static-y image the issues persist during game play, but hard harder to get pictures of.

See comparisons of the last two pics for pixels cutting out etc, wavy image

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230305-111841.png
    Screenshot_20230305-111841.png
    941.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20230305-111815.png
    Screenshot_20230305-111815.png
    552.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20230305-112618-869.jpg
    Screenshot_20230305-112618-869.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20230305-112029.jpg
    Screenshot_20230305-112029.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 1

wesprice

n00b
how would you rate your electronic repair ability and what equipment do you currently have? have you tried / do you have access to another cart to help isolate the issue between the pcb / cart?

I haven't work on one in maybe 5+ years but battery damage is fairly common.. even if it isn't to the point where you can see the board being eaten away it is very possible some stray acid has damaged something, certainly worth investigating / replacing the battery if it is original and you intend to keep the system.

Without having the board here to diagnose / repair it is difficult to say obvious besides cleaning cart and things you already said you have done..

these were early 2000s boards which were made at a time of great capacitor failures. A failing / flakey capacitor could certainly induce enough ripple to cause the odd graphical issue.. hit and miss in the dark if it will cure the problem but replacing all the capacitors on a board from this era isn't the worst shot in the dark.. there are less than 20, maybe 18? on that board and i have seen failing capacitor cause problems before on this system.

the intel chips used on these carts are pretty good so excluding bad cart contacts you really need somebody that knows how to find and fix the problem(s).

sorry cant be more help.. sending it here would also be far too costly to warrant a repair but im sure you will find somebody local if you cant progress further yourself.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
If you had an oscilloscope you could check the sync line and see what the signals look like