CRT Fetish Thread

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Can anyone suggest a good way to pack a 14" Sony PVM for shipping?
e.g., double boxed?

1) get box. Spray inside bottom w/ foam, 1/4 full.

2) tape craft foam onto PVM screen- place PVM inside contractor bag

3) place bagged PVM into box, spray-foam it into place

4) place box inside larger box filled w/ packing peanuts.

5) mail parcel, & pray.

Last edited:

sirlynxalot

Enemy Chaser
Fagit of the Year
I had a bvm shipped to me once from Florida to Boston. It came in a single box, a moderate amount of bubble wrap around it and the box had crumpled up paper bags or cardboard to help fill up space. It was not an expert packing job. Bvm looked and worked ok though, no noticeable damage in transit. I later gave away the bvm for free because I couldn't find anyone local who wanted to buy it and didn't want to bother shipping it.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
I saw someone on Twitter use a U-Line crate and pool noodles.

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
You don't need to do a messy, one off spray foam job with CRT's.

Home Depot sells their own brand of large pile bubble wrap that is orange in color. It's about $35 for a 2 foot wide by 100 foot long roll. Thats what I use it it's great.

Packing standards (when it comes to insurance) caalls for 2" of spoace between the item & the box interior on all 6 sides. That is for normal items that are sold at retail today. CRT's are more of a specialty cataory & you want to go with 4 to 6 inches on all 6 sides (4" for small and/or lighter CRT's). Large pile bubble wrap for the first 2 to 3 inches & then a stiffer foam for the rest. Pooly styreme is O.KJ. but brittle. I forget the name of the other (much better) foam that I use but I will get a pic.

The problem with straight foam jobs like Poly & spray foam is that the former breaks on impact while the later has more give but is less resilient. Plus both are too stiff when it comes to a parcel getting hit with blunt force. The bubble wrap gives older electronics just a bit of needed wiggle rooom & is better with absorbing some of the extra inertia.

It's not just about the dangers of a CRT getting damaged by something outside in post but the CRT damaging itself in the post. This goes double for flat CRT's, Trinitrons & those with plastic cabinets with plastics that have aged worse over the decades (white & off white castings, etc).

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Christ the weight of a CRT... why would anyone be that desperate to spend that much money on posting it? Buy a fucking upscaler ffs.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I'd never post one unless it was in original packaging and fully insured.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I would agree with you that CRTs are on the way out. They can be hard to deal with, as far as getting RGB running on them. But as far as technology, the only flat screen TVs/monitors that have matched (or superceded) them are QD-OLEDs (and true RGB OLEDs, like the BVM-300 and BVM-X300, but they are expensive). Until those came out last year, CRTs (PVMs) with RGB were the best way to play retro games. In other words, it's taken many years for flat screen TVs to match the picture quality of the best CRTs.

Last edited:

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Christ the weight of a CRT... why would anyone be that desperate to spend that much money on posting it? Buy a fucking upscaler ffs.
That behemoth on the first post of this thread I scored it for $50 and cost about the same again to ship interstate. Some poor neck beard schmuck probably fucked his back trying to pack it (it weighs 114lbs) and load onto a truck for $50. Thems were the days…

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
2a3urlwcs0f21.png

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Reallly??? OMFG... I feel the sudden urge to get out there and save as many CRTs as I can before it's too late!!
Yes, I would agree with that too. From what I know, even now, some CRT PVMs are still being scrapped for recycling, in spite of what money they can sell for to retro gamers.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Well, lucky for all of us I spent my weekend saving as many CRTs as I could.

View attachment 62062

When do you want me to start shipping them to you?
I would say it's only certain CRTs that are worth saving.. such as those with RGB/SCART inputs. Also, some of those that have component inputs, or maybe also those that have s-video inputs.
I think some good CRTs, such as PVMs, or WEGAs, get thrown in with all the consumer CRT TVs, which is a waste, IMO. Recycle depots get govt subsidies / tax breaks, so they just recycle everything they get, even things like very old TVs or computer equipment, which arguably should go to museums instead, or could be used in period TV shows & movies.