CRT Fetish Thread

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
Delti, I have found the 2030 to be a pretty versatile monitor. I have that gaming cable from retro gaming cables hooked up to an scart switch connected to my consoles (I think using composite video + sync cables on the consoles). Anyways, according to the manual, the 2030 will accept an H./V. sync signal, or composite sync signal, heck, it will even take sync on the G-signal (Green). I have a NOVA supergun. I bought the supergun RGB cable from that site. It works when I use sync on green. Even though it is a North American model, my 2030 even displays the signal from my PAL GC.

Last edited:

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
Delti, I have found the 2030 to be a pretty versatile monitor. I have that gaming cable from retro gaming cables hooked up to an scart switch connected to my consoles (I think using composite video + sync cables on the consoles). Anyways, according to the manual, the 2030 will accept an H./V. sync signal, or composite sync signal, heck, it will even take sync on the G-signal (Green). I have a NOVA supergun. I bought the supergun RGB cable from that site. It works when I use sync on green. Even though it is a North American model, my 2030 even displays the signal from my PAL GC.

I thought it didn't do Synch on Green.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Depends on if it's been modded properly.
I modded mine with an RGB amp and c-sync and it looks crystal clear.
An unmodded N64 outputs composite SCART.

Sent from my PC using a PC.

edit:
Just bought myself a little PVM :)
Happy times

I thought that the n64 can only be made to look decent with 14 inch monitors using rgb. Everything else seems very hit or miss, with a lot more missing going on. Even with a proper mod it seems like that filter still looks messed up. This is a shame because the N64 was my favorite console growing up as a kid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmVE-S8L774

Even with the new HDMI N64 you can still see that ugly ass filter affecting the picture quality. At least certain games look pretty clean.
http://ultrahdmi.retroactive.be/

Voultar

I give zero fucks about my customers
Well hell, I definitely measured that wrong..

dr9fft.jpg

Gorgeous Trinitron with super, super low hours. It was purchased brand new for a business and had less than 15 hours on it. They rarely showed a training video here and there for staff.

This tube is the perfect candidate for a native analog RGB input mod, fitting it in a compact car though, is a different story. :D

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
Well hell, I definitely measured that wrong..

View attachment 27960

Gorgeous Trinitron with super, super low hours. It was purchased brand new for a business and had less than 15 hours on it. They rarely showed a training video here and there for staff.

This tube is the perfect candidate for a native analog RGB input mod, fitting it in a compact car though, is a different story. :D

A few years ago I found an NEC DM RGB monitor at a thrift. It literally would not fit in my car any way I tried to rotate it or manuever it in. So you're in good company. I'd recommend a bungee cord braced to something on the inside of your vehicle to try and keep it from falling out.

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
A few years ago I found an NEC DM RGB monitor at a thrift. It literally would not fit in my car any way I tried to rotate it or manuever it in. So you're in good company. I'd recommend a bungee cord braced to something on the inside of your vehicle to try and keep it from falling out.

Danger, Will Robinson!
Many bungee cords required for this, man :)
I think maybe rent a truck or get a friend with a bigger car to help out.

Voultar

Ha! After some patience, I was able to wrestle this 183 lb. beast into submission, safely.

I've already mapped out the Jungle I/C for RGB input. :)

2zdoj6c.png

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
Most (if not all) PVM's seem to have a little, white window above the screen.. What is this for?

delti90

Cheng's Errand Boy
Finally got some BNC adapters so I can at least use composite right now, scart cables should be on the way soon. Looks like the image has some pretty decent keystoning at the bottom, so I'm assuming I'll have to take the 2030 apart to get to any pots to adjust it?

Also, just out of curiosity, are cap kits available for these things? I did a quick google and didn't really see anything.

Voultar

Taking care of some minor geometry and convergence issues with that 35" Trinitron.

Haven't added RGB yet, but I'm pretty impressed with the comb filtering of this set. It totally shit all over the filtering options on the Framemeister..

Composhite:

55111s.jpg

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
Taking care of some minor geometry and convergence issues with that 35" Trinitron.

Haven't added RGB yet, but I'm pretty impressed with the comb filtering of this set. It totally shit all over the filtering options on the Framemeister..

Composhite:

55111s.jpg

Which Mega Man game is that?

Voultar

That's right. Jungle Stage of Megaman X4.

I have a few more subtle focus adjustments to make. The geometry is 98% of the way there, just a few more hairline adjustments for everything, including convergence.

(Crappy Camera Shots)

2pyoxsw.jpg

2wn7pjb.jpg

n5sr6d.jpg

Just need to align that red gun a cock hair more.

Last edited:

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
That's right. Jungle Stage of Megaman X4.

I have a few more subtle focus adjustments to make. The geometry is 98% of the way there, just a few more hairline adjustments for everything, including convergence.

(Crappy Camera Shots)

Just need to align that red gun a cock hair more.

Is this adjusted through pots on the board?

Voultar

Most of the geometry and RGB drives/cutoffs are handled digitally via the service menu.

Beam landing and convergence adjustments are handled by making yoke adjustments on this set.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Most of the geometry and RGB drives/cutoffs are handled digitally via the service menu.

Beam landing and convergence adjustments are handled by making yoke adjustments on this set.

Do you make house calls? :)

Voultar

Do you make house calls? :)

Only for you big boy.

How crazy difficult of a mod is this?

If you have a sound service manual for your set and a Jungle I/C with analog RGB inputs, it isn't very difficult to do.

Would be kind of neat to see some sort of attempt at a guide for this.

Also was a SCART port wired into the casing of the TV, or how is it being connected?

I'll have a write-up available in a neighboring forum once everything arrives.

This Trinitron doesn't have an "unused" scart port, or an area designated for SCART RGB input.

I'm adding a panel mount female SCART connector to the back of this set (just waiting for it to get across the pond).

scartsockets.jpg

This isn't going my write-up. But since so many people are asking me about this, I'll provide a brief explanation of what's happening:

There are 4 signals that I need to be terminated for RGB input into this television. RGB, and the blanking. The OSD ouputs RGB to the RGB inputs of the Jungle IC, as well as a blanking signal that tells the Jungle I/C to output RGB.

24ee2s4.png

Let's look at some of the important parts of the datasheet for this particular Jungle I/C:

1584cw6.png
ibhqf5.png

YS is the RGB enable signal. When this is tied high (5v) RGB output is enabled. That's simple enough to understand.

RGB is obviously our analog RGB inputs. This Jungle I/C is geared to accepting standard termination RGB video signals @ .7VPP, clamp and all. All we need to do is add a .1uF cap and we're in great shape.

Sync is accepted through the composite port. So we need not worry about doing anything with that as it's genlocked to the RGB. Simply tap it and go.

So as you can see, it's pretty straight forward as to how we can inject our own RGB sources into a TV properly. But in doing so, we're affecting the OSD. How does the OSD work?

You press the "Menu" button on your television, the blanking pin from the OSD chip sends voltage to the YS input on the Jungle I/C, enabling RGB output, thereby enabling the OSD.

The OSD sends color information through its RGB outputs into the RGB inputs of the Jungle I/C. That's about it.

Right, so what we need to do is switch the RGB and blanking between our source and the OSD. How do we do it?

d_19035.jpg

A simple 4PDT ON/ON switch will do the job.

Once the rest of my components come in, I'll go into more detail. This has certainly been done before, but documentation has always been sparse.

Last edited:

city41

Aero Fighters Flyboy
10 Year Member
Good god the Saturn looks glorious in RGB! Best $4 I've ever spent!

vK1hG5ql.jpg

(best pic I could grab, my camera and the PVM do not agree with each other)