CRT Fetish Thread

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Quick question for everyone. Which would a PS2 look better on: an LCD TV via component or a PVM via RGB? My gut says the PVM but I thought Component was supposed to be better than RGB? The LCD does widescreen but there aren't enough PS2 games that support that to worry about it.

Will the PVM support progressive scan?

XC-3730C

War Room Troll
I would say RGB on a good CRT/PVM. I have both a CRT and LCD and RGB seems more crisp

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Quick question for everyone. Which would a PS2 look better on: an LCD TV via component or a PVM via RGB? My gut says the PVM but I thought Component was supposed to be better than RGB? The LCD does widescreen but there aren't enough PS2 games that support that to worry about it.

Will the PVM support progressive scan?

Most PVMs will not do 480p, the 20L5 / 14L5 will though. That said, the PS2 looks fantastic over RGB on a PVM and most games don't support progressive scan anyway. I generally take that over my flatscreen, even though the built in scaler in my LG is pretty nice compared with others I've seen (including my sony HDTV).

The nicest I've ever seen a PS2 look is the progressive scan games on a 20" Sony Trinitron PC monitor. It's a pain to get going with sync on green and all (and having to enable progressive scan while still in interlaced mode) but damn does it look nice.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
It's well past $200 now...don't think I will ever see one of these in Toronto, let alone for an affordable price id this auction is any indication.

lol almost 500 bones now. Its a good monitor but it is not nearly 500 bucks good.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
I did some tests over the weekend. The LCD and PVM looked pretty much the same on most things, but one some games like FF XII the PVM looked much better. FF XII on the LCD TV looked really bad (blocky and jagged) for some reason and a few other games had the same issue. The PVM has its own quirks though like some slight flickering on solid white backgrounds (more like a bunch of lines moving really fast) but only if you're really close, you don't see it from a distance. I'd say the clarity is about the same, but the colors (especially the blacks) are much better on the PVM.

andy251203

Hardened Shock Trooper
I think the general rule of thumb is that for SD content, whether it be 240p or 480i, it will look better on a CRT, because that it was it was designed to be viewed on. LCDs will always have to upscale an SD picture to the panel's native resolution, so there will always be visible pixels and jagged lines. There's also lag and ghosting.

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
Today i decided to take my PVM apart to give it a good clean and maybe replace some caps, so i don't need to worry with it in the future. Boy, am i scared to put it back together... So many damn plugs,lol.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
Nice to see a review on some Ikegami monitors; don't hear as much about them.

andy251203

Hardened Shock Trooper
Thanks, I wanted to chime in since I haven't really seen anyone else with these monitors before.

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
Thanks, I wanted to chime in since I haven't really seen anyone else with these monitors before.

I've seen a couple of the ones with the slide out trays for sale locally before, they were a bit pricey so I didn't want to gamble on them. Glad to see that someone is a fan of them!

SePh1r0tH

n00b
Anyone know what the difference is between the NEC XM29 Plus and the XP29 Plus. I've always seen people talk about the xm over the years but not the xp. Thanks

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Anyone know what the difference is between the NEC XM29 Plus and the XP29 Plus. I've always seen people talk about the xm over the years but not the xp. Thanks

As far as I know the only difference is the XM29 will not accept component and the Plus will.

Edit: My fault misread your post, thought we were talking about XM29s. Not sure what's going on with the XPs

Last edited:

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
As far as I know the only difference is the XM29 will not accept component and the Plus will.

Edit: My fault misread your post, thought we were talking about XM29s. Not sure what's going on with the XPs

The XM29 plus simply has buttons on it and the the XM29 does not meaning you need the remote. They both do not support component.

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
Oh interesting. So you can only do 480p on the XM29 via VGA? That kinda sucks. I always thought I'd be able to run my xbox and ps2 in progressive on one.

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
I'm wondering; Is there a good place to tap csync from on a scph-1001, that could be wired up to one of the already existing RCA jacks so as to avoid needing a sync stripper for it? I'm trying to get it to display properly on my XC3730c, which absolutely detests composite video as sync.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I just use a lm1881 for my PS1, ended up being the easiest way to do it as far as I know.

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
I've got literally no funds, otherwise I would just get something like that.

I've seen a different guides that supposedly have you tap it from the DAC, the GPU, or the cxa1645, but they're mostly centered on the 5001 or 101 models.
I tried doing something with the CXA last night, but just as its schematic suggested, the pin to get sync from was indeed just composite video.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
I've got literally no funds, otherwise I would just get something like that.

I've seen a different guides that supposedly have you tap it from the DAC, the GPU, or the cxa1645, but they're mostly centered on the 5001 or 101 models.
I tried doing something with the CXA last night, but just as its schematic suggested, the pin to get sync from was indeed just composite video.

Try using Luma. I have seen no difference between using it on a playstation compared with just pulling sync off the DAC.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
I got diagonal interference similar to composite sync when I used luma. Ended up using a Lm1881 and taking luma as the input.

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
I might try that in a bit. Upon testing my current setup, the monitor does actually sync partially for a few seconds before the black splash screen comes up.
I also have a feeling that it's not terminated correctly; a 75ohm resistor would probably help.