CPS3 - SUICIDE FREE! Easiest thing ever.

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Well, for 2nd Impact carts for the time being.

Some good reading here:
http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=21688
-see post http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=21688&start=60#p283371
also:
http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=21688&start=160#p284196

And more reading here:
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?226495-CPS3-suicide-free-a-step-closer.

The short of it: (from idc on AO)
YES! After Leo double checked, it's confirmed that legit 2I carts cannot suicide. If they do, just remove the battery and it will begin working again.

Last edited:

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Haaaaaaaaaa.... I just happen to have one of these laying around...

Now, all they need to do is get the reburning software working with the 2i encryption.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
We're probably not far off, honestly. Anyhow, with dead carts going for like $10 and this being a free fix, CPS3 is about to become very accessible hardware. Isn't that awesome?

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
its awesome, except the flipping of converted carts has already begun

Professor Plum

Tarma's Gun Polisher
We're probably not far off, honestly. Anyhow, with dead carts going for like $10 and this being a free fix, CPS3 is about to become very accessible hardware. Isn't that awesome?

Who has dead carts for $10? The cheapest I have found was $40 plus shipping

its awesome, except the flipping of converted carts has already begun

Somehow using the darksoft tool to play the other games is ok BUT converting the security cart is not? The security cart doesn't alter the game play... It is only for security. The cart isn't like a MVS cart you plug into the motherboard. The game isn't stored on the cart....

Also, at this point there is no other way to revive non 2nd impact carts besides converting them....
The cart has nothing to do with the game data being played it is a security cart. You are still playing the actual game 100%.....

Last edited:

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
i don't need a technical lesson on CPS3 thanks

you can get a complete 2i setup (cdrom, mobo, cart, simms) for $120

Professor Plum

Tarma's Gun Polisher
i don't need a technical lesson on CPS3 thanks

you can get a complete 2i setup (cdrom, mobo, cart, simms) for $120

Where is that? I will take 5 setups at that price... Prices are going to change now that this is out. Are you quotin old eBay prices? Basically a full setup will get you all the games now this is out. Prices are going to go up at least short term.

Look at the demand and prices for Dodonpachi DOJ after the black label chip came out.

So anyone with a full setup who wants to sell at $120 I will buy it... I doubt anyone is lining up to sell for that.

prof plum did you really think you would never get shit on this site for always trying to benefit off of bootlegs and conversions and pheonixed shit like you do?

scgon

Benimaru's Hairdresser
10 Year Member
The buyers, or lack of them, will determine the fair price for CPS3, I expect its gonna bottom out soon, I'm sitting on 3 dead carts and 2 full mobo set ups, curious where this goes, pleased I may soon make good use of my destructive idiocy with CPS3!

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
Somehow using the darksoft tool to play the other games is ok BUT converting the security cart is not? The security cart doesn't alter the game play... It is only for security. The cart isn't like a MVS cart you plug into the motherboard. The game isn't stored on the cart....

Also, at this point there is no other way to revive non 2nd impact carts besides converting them....
The cart has nothing to do with the game data being played it is a security cart. You are still playing the actual game 100%.....

You are charging between $100 and $130 for reflashing dead carts to 2i and you dont see anything wrong with that? That is exactly what the fine people who actually did the work and research into the matter, did not want to see happen.

Professor Plum

Tarma's Gun Polisher
You are charging between $100 and $130 for reflashing dead carts to 2i and you dont see anything wrong with that? That is exactly what the fine people who actually did the work and research into the matter, did not want to see happen.

The dead carts cost me 40 plus shipping each. I might have over paid. Then it takes me an hour of work. Then it costs money to ship the cart to someone. I probably listed those carts a little high but for an hour work I am not going to do it for free. I will reduce it to $100 shipped a cart.

There is a difference between conversions and bootlegs. I don't sell bootlegs. I don't want to argue the difference.

There is a difference between conversions and bootlegs. I don't sell bootlegs. I don't want to argue the difference.

Are you saying that you dont sell bootlegs because you advertise them as conversions?

Ok then what was that mess in the "today I received" thread with the yellow super turbo you tried to pass off as real till you got called out?

I mean you would have never owned up to it if you hadnt been called out on it right?

Professor Plum

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I have always been upfront with any conversions I have made.
Maybe I have a different definition of conversion vs bootleg
Maybe we have different definitions.

I would say a bootleg is a game that is not played on original hardware. Like sf2 ce boards that are not cps1 hardware
I would say a conversion uses the intended hardware to run the games like a progear running on a marvel vs capcom board. Both cps2. Only a few chips different.
Running Naomi 2 games off hacked cf cards would be a conversion.
Using Darksofts tool to run other CPs3 games is running conversions....
This Is my interpretation of the differences. Maybe I am way off from your definition.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I'm not sure why some of us here have an issue with people selling converted, that is physically modified, CPS3 Decryption carts. They're not original, we all know that. For those that don't and want to pay a silly amount of money for one, your money. A converted cart is not the same as say a manufactured copy of the original. Which, being a bootleg, I'd love to see, one decryption cart which can be flashed to different games.

I wouldn't take it to heart.. it's hardly 'important'. If you don't like something then don't get involved with it. I think it's naive to not expect someone to make money out of something such as this. It was going to happen and will probably spread further than one member.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
It is just a shit stain on the hobby. Plum is trying to cash in on this new thing before it gets released publicly. Shit is scandalous.

Professor Plum

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I asked the creator of the cps3 hack if he had a problem with me selling them before I listed them. He didn't have a problem. I wasn't trying to gouge prices or anything. I thought I was asking a fair price. I even reduced the price after I realized I had priced it too high.

Anyway.. Since this has caused people to react this way I decided to just give the modded carts away to friends free of charge. I won't be selling them anytime soon.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Plum, even with permission it wasn't the right way to go. There is a long list of ppl that have helped since day one including myself trying to break this suicide issue.

Glad you had a change of heart. Hope you keep it that way for now.

Last edited:

Professor Plum

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Plum, even with permission it wasn't the right way to go. There is a long list of ppl that have helped since day one including myself trying to break this suicide issue.

Glad you had a change of heart. Hope you keep it that way for now.

I agree that it did look selfish. I didn't see it that way at the time. I honestly thought I was providing a service because of the surface mount soldering and programming involved that not everyone is going to be able do to for themselves.

I am sorry if I offended anyone by listing these for sale.
Maybe I can offer some sort of free giveaway with the last 2 carts I was saving for myself.

Last edited:

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
honestly i personally dont mind someone offering a reflash/resurrection service/selling of converted carts, but lets keep the prices real

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
I agree that it did look selfish. I didn't see it that way at the time. I honestly though I was providing a service because of the surface mount soldering and programming involved that not everyone is going to be able do to for themselves.

I am sorry if I offended anyone by listing these for sale.
Maybe I can offer some sort of free giveaway with the last 2 carts I was saving for myself.

I would just hold off, fixing some friends/local ppl's carts and such is fine. Leo has all the board revisions now so it's only a matter of time. I understand the SMT work. Not everyone has the means or skill to desolder/resolder the flash rom and recode.

I will likely be only doing restores only, once everything is found and if SMT work is required or the means is outside a general hobbist. The exception is my spare was already reflashed from a JoJo's to 3S by some company prior to me buying it. So I will restore it back to a Jojo's.

In the end the market will get overfilled with 3S, which is sad but it's a buyers market and at least the process is reversible.

The issue comes down to price. Companies reflash as low as $150ish and there are a ton of dead carts out there. So tbh I would only provide a service, not buying and reselling carts themselves. The dead cart price is only going to go up at a stupid rate and drive a restored cart up and out of the reasonable price range it should be.

Til then, I'm just waiting and helping where I can.

Professor Plum

Tarma's Gun Polisher
The exception is my spare was already reflashed from a JoJo's to 3S by some company prior to me buying it. So I will restore it back to a Jojo's.

But unless you are also using an original jojo cd then you are running a conversion. Right?

Original cd prices might go up also if people don't want to play any kind of conversion since the game data is on the cd. Or is a copied cd different? Just curious where the line is.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
Wow, this turned into a shitfest real fast...

Am I understanding that reprogramming a surface-mount chip is in fact necessary to turn other carts into 2I, but original 2I carts can be resurrected without any soldering work? Somehow I got the impression that no soldering was necessary, now am wondering if my reading comprehension is a bit shit.