CPS2 Infinikey install help

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I'm at a tough spot here.

I've been installing infinikeys in my CPS2 boards lately. All were successful except one won't take. It's a SSF2T Asian board. Worked fine on battery, but no matter what I do, the board won't take the key.

I'm at a point where I'm willing to send the board and mobo to someone for help. Anyone familiar with these board and installs and have free time to check my fuckups?

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
It's a rev 4 board. I'll send a pic once I get back from work today

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
It's a rev 4 board. I'll send a pic once I get back from work today
This might be stupid because it’s so simple, but are you pulling 5V with a wire to the infinikey? Rev 4 doesn’t have the CN9 header of course, so it’s not getting 5V from CN2.

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
This might be stupid because it’s so simple, but are you pulling 5V with a wire to the infinikey? Rev 4 doesn’t have the CN9 header of course, so it’s not getting 5V from CN2.
I am, I did the same install with a Rev 3 board and it worked. Give me a few and I'll post pice

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Could the key be faulty or did you try a different one and yield the same results?
BB

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
at 11:20 he removes a resistor on CN2, did you do this as well?

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
I removed the resistor, and I'm confident the chip is good to go.

Here's a pic of the install. I know the +5v wire is not attached to the right spot, when it was in the right spot it wasn't working either so I thought getting another point would work. At this point I'm at a loss and don't have the time or patience to keep poking at it, so if anyone wants to take a crack at it I'm down.

Attachments

• 20210424_120237.jpg
    20210424_120237.jpg
    908.2 KB · Views: 16

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I would try another key but if you already did that,there's a possibility there is somethiing faulty on the board.
BB

pva

Mega Shock!!
I've been installing infinikeys in my CPS2 boards lately. All were successful except one won't take. It's a SSF2T Asian board. Worked fine on battery, but no matter what I do, the board won't take the key.
These might be stupid questions, too, but what colour screen does the board boot to when the InfiniKey is attached? Does the board boot without a battery (indicating decrypted ROMs)? Have you tried @Razoola’s suicide tester to see whether there are any other problems with the board?

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
These might be stupid questions, too, but what colour screen does the board boot to when the InfiniKey is attached? Does the board boot without a battery (indicating decrypted ROMs)? Have you tried @Razoola’s suicide tester to see whether there are any other problems with the board?
It boots to white. There's no decrypted roms on it, it's all original. So it doesn't boot without battery. Shoot, at this point I'll take a set of phoenix roms to pop in just to get this thing running.

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
What's the romident for this version of the game?
Edit: I found it but I'm wondering if maybe that's not the correct version. Have you tried other jumper combos?

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer

If you scroll down a bit there's a section about the white screen, essentially none of the game roms are being read. Check that there's no broken traces and make sure that the board is seated, might even try pushing on it while it boots up. I'd also take the case off the B board and try it like that.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
It boots to white. There's no decrypted roms on it, it's all original. So it doesn't boot without battery. Shoot, at this point I'll take a set of phoenix roms to pop in just to get this thing running.
Assuming there is an avalaunch set I have a pile of NOS eproms perfect for CPS2 program roms. If you want to go that route just let me know and I'll hook it up. Or a suicide tester rom, whatever you need.

Edit; I posted in parallel with DaisyAge. Definitely check that out.

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
I removed the resistor, and I'm confident the chip is good to go.

Here's a pic of the install. I know the +5v wire is not attached to the right spot, when it was in the right spot it wasn't working either so I thought getting another point would work. At this point I'm at a loss and don't have the time or patience to keep poking at it, so if anyone wants to take a crack at it I'm down.
Hate to keep spamming but I'm looking at this pic and.. is that fourth pin soldered at all? It looks like it's not connected, I would add some solder to all 4 pins and make sure that thing is connected.

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
Hate to keep spamming but I'm looking at this pic and.. is that fourth pin soldered at all? It looks like it's not connected, I would add some solder to all 4 pins and make sure that thing is connected.
Tried them all today. Reflowed everything and nada.

Skate, shooting you a PM

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
Update, got some avalaunche chips and installed them. Removed the Infinikey, powered the board up and nada.

I'm thinking it's now a power issue to the A board. The fan doesn't kick in and all i see is a white screen. I don't have another Asia A board to compare, but my JP A board fired up no problem. Any common issues with these A boards I'm missing?