cps2 fan/battery

DeusVult

Another Striker
I recently bought a cps2 A and B board D&D tower of doom this is my first ever cps2 board, I know these are usually placed inside cabs but iam running mine via a supergun and the noise of the fan is very loud, is it possible to change this or disconnect it?

also I would like to change the battery on it asap, where can I buy similar battery and any good guides on how to do it

DeusVult

Another Striker

cheers, he made that looks easy, I was wondering how long you had once you removed the battery to replace it.

once a new battery is in how do they last?

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
cheers, he made that looks easy, I was wondering how long you had once you removed the battery to replace it.

once a new battery is in how do they last?

Rule of thumb is you have about 30 mins...but do it asap. Make sure you turn the board on for like an hour before you change it to charge the caps and wait 30 mins after you change it. They usually last 3-5 years.

fluxcore

Another Striker
I can report that the gelid silent6 fan ALMOST fits as a replacement. I had to get the dremel out to carve off some of its housing to actually fit, and even then put a resistor in-line to drop the voltage down to 7.5V. It's still far from silent, but much less annoying than the stock fan. At least it's very inexpensive.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Use a 612FL or a 612F/2L fan

It's a 60MM SQ X 15MM fan.

(60mm x 60mm x 15mm)

Get a silent one (low DB, or noise level) if you don't like the stock fan noise.

DeusVult

Another Striker
thanks for the replies, I look into the fan it would be nicer to get a low noise one in place, it is a nice to have but the battery change is my priority

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Is there anything cheaper than the 612FL? I thought those used to be pretty inexpensive but it doesn't appear that way anymore. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong spots.

fluxcore

Another Striker
Is there anything cheaper than the 612FL? I thought those used to be pretty inexpensive but it doesn't appear that way anymore. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong spots.

I couldn't find the 612FL for any kind of reasonable price, hence why I took a punt on the Gelid Silent 6. The dimensions claimed to be what was needed, but obviously there were subtleties to the housing that didn't quite... Gel... with the CPS2 case.

undamned

Pleasure Goal
The original Nidec D06R-12TH fans are obscenely loud. Even the factory specs were loud (32dB), let alone after they've been subjected to dust and cigarette smoke for years. As Tyranix said, 60x60x15mm is the size you want. I found some nice Panasonic fans a while back that were high quality/low noise, but those dried up quick (from a surplus electronics store). Right now I use some Sanyo fans that, although specified as 60x60x15, require some sanding to fit proper. At least they are decent quality and quieter than the stock ones.

For batteries, I've ordered from a number of sources, but by far the best are these guys:

http://www.bestbyte.net/catalogsearch/result/?q=BALIXE142A

Great product, great price, cheap shipping.
-ud

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
You can go this way like on the video that Tyranix95 posted... it is a fix .. but yet again in few years you will have to go over again the soldering procedure.

Or you can go 1 UP and do this : :buttrock:

Get the keystone battery holder and retainer. (around $8)

keystonemod.jpg

then buy this battery : http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2AA-Size-...t=US_Single_Use_Batteries&hash=item27c6211e8e

It will cost you about $10-15 in total ... but hey .... cps2 board aint cheap in the first place. Then in few years you just pop the new battery in. Hope this helps you .

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
copy pasting from my old arcade otaku post:

Okay

papst1.jpg

CPS2 Alien vs Predator phoenix edition. May be a conversion. Haven´t checked. The real problem is the fan noise.

papst4.jpg

Here is the main villain. Noisy cps2 a-board fan.

papst5.jpg

Shipment from Aquatuning to the rescue!

papst2.jpg

So... off go the clips that hold the a board and b board together.

papst3.jpg

Here are the boards, now separated

papst8.jpg

So here´s the replacement fan: a Papst 612fl. Also needed is a special screwdriver head

papst24.jpg

And while I didnt have a screwdriver where to fit this head, anything that gives a bit of torque will do. Space is not an issue here

papst9.jpg

The cover lifted up after screwing off all 4 screws

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
papst10.jpg

The fan is old and dirty. It comes off by just lifting it off its "tracks"

papst11.jpg

So then... of course I cant just put the other fan in. The plugs aren´t the same.

papst12.jpg

So I just cut the cables, molexes won´t be needed, strip the cables a bit from their ends.

papst13.jpg

Then I like to add liberal amounts of shrinkwrap there, putting it at the ready before soldering the wires. Keeping it far enough so as not to shrink it yet.

papst14.jpg

Then I kind of wrap the wires together.

papst15.jpg

Like this...

papst16.jpg

And then for the part where my hands start shaking...

papst17.jpg

Soldering the wires together! Simple task for most people, big deal to my shaky hands. (and my horrible soldering tool)

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
papst18.jpg

The results, well... Not pretty, but they´re stuck together, damnit. That´s what counts!
They will probably conduct electricity too!

papst19.jpg

So I then slide the shrinkwrap on top of the soldered parts. I have only two hands so I´m not taking photo of the part where I put a burning match near the shrinkwrap :)

papst20.jpg

After burning two matches, the shrinkwrap has shrunk. It will stay put.

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
papst21.jpg

So it is time to slide the new fan in there!

papst22.jpg

It fits like a glove!

papst23.jpg

Better remember to put the plug back in too.
Damnit, where did the screws go?
SHIT
One is under sofa
For fuck´s sake!

papst25.jpg

And then its just a matter of putting everything back together...

papst26.jpg

With cover, screws and the little clips connected, it is time for a comparison video!

mendel.jpg

Last edited:

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
I actually changed another one last night. I just use the ones they sale at http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax/store.html
They are 2.99 and plug and play. I'm sure the 15 dollar ones are quieter but I can't hear mine at all and needed new fans in all my cps2 boards so that pushed my decision :-/

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Oh that is a steal and much easier to install! I would have gotten that one for sure if I had known about it!

DeusVult

Another Striker
You can go this way like on the video that Tyranix95 posted... it is a fix .. but yet again in few years you will have to go over again the soldering procedure.

Or you can go 1 UP and do this : :buttrock:

Get the keystone battery holder and retainer. (around $8)

View attachment 21570

then buy this battery : http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2AA-Size-...t=US_Single_Use_Batteries&hash=item27c6211e8e

It will cost you about $10-15 in total ... but hey .... cps2 board aint cheap in the first place. Then in few years you just pop the new battery in. Hope this helps you .

that does look good, ill look into that, I plan on doing a similar mod on my pgm motherboard

also good posts on the fan, ill just bought 2 from jamma nation

urmyokazu

New Challenger
The JNX fans are definitely great and drop right in. Comparable to the Papst 612FL fans in noise. I went with the Papst fans when I changed the fans out on my first board but decided to give them a shot when changing it out on the rest of my 3 boards.

I'm very iffy about using the keystone battery holder. Afraid that a good jostle could knock it loose and lose contact causing the board to suicide. It's easy enough to just desolder/solder a new battery in every few years and have peace of mind.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
The JNX fans are definitely great and drop right in. Comparable to the Papst 612FL fans in noise. I went with the Papst fans when I changed the fans out on my first board but decided to give them a shot when changing it out on the rest of my 3 boards.

I'm very iffy about using the keystone battery holder. Afraid that a good jostle could knock it loose and lose contact causing the board to suicide. It's easy enough to just desolder/solder a new battery in every few years and have peace of mind.

you don't need to worry about that since now keystone holder comes with retainer.. so no more lost contact ;)

robot

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I have one from JNX, made a huge difference. Super simple to install too.