CPS-2 black rental unit pink screen, not booting

Artemio

NEST Puppet
I have several other CPS-2 boards, and have changed teh batteries in them all. But I was playing Marvel VS Capcom on my cabinet today, the asian rental version in a black metal case, and it worked perfectly fine.

010820091090.jpg

However, a few hours later I tried booting it up and got this pink screen instead:

010820091091.jpg

I opened it up and checked the battery voltage, since I have read somewhere else that a blue solid screen meant a suicide board. However the battery is still giving a steady 3.6 since I just changed it a few weeks ago.

I also checked voltages and moved the cps-2 to my supergun, with the exact same results.

Any ideas on what it could be?

andy251203

Hardened Shock Trooper
The encryption probably somehow got corrupted. Maybe something got shorted or the board went for too long without a battery when you were changing it. Once it's corrupted, it's as good as dead. And I don't think these can be phoenixed like traditional CPS2 B boards.

Artemio

NEST Puppet
those are certainly bad news... It must have been a short within gthe cabinet then, I checked the date when the battery was replaced and it is close to two months ago. I guess it wouldn't have lived so much without it.

Hopefully it can be phoenixed, I'll contact Razoola when he's back from vacation I guess.

I'll check the cabinet for shorts then...

twalden

Leona's Therapist
20 Year Member
Raz says they can probably be Phoenixed, he just doesn't have the equipment to do it. I'm sure here he will post with more info soon. The all in 1 black boards don't use the same socketed EPROMS that the typical B boards use to store the encrypted data. They use a SIMM I believe.

Last edited:

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
I can tell you from experience that you can't change these batteries like you can the b-boards. The single boards die the moment you remove the battery without power or helper battery. Its almost as bad as CPS3.

On that note. I changed my 3S battery two weeks ago and it worked for 2 days. I left on vacation for a week and it was dead when I got back. Battery was still good. Solder job was still tight. Just dead...

I sent a couple of these to someone who is trying to figure a way to revive them. We'll see.

Artemio

NEST Puppet
Just checked the board form the other side... Since these boards are not as well protected, it seems we bent the board a bit in the wrong way, and the solder from the positive terminal of the battery was not as well soldered as possible.

Indeed, it suicided when we took a break for lunch.

----
EDIT: Got news from Raz, indeed nothing can be done for it. May it rest in peace. Mitsurugi-w, now all out hopes are in your hands.

Last edited:

Artemio

NEST Puppet
I was half hoping for the same tony starks, thanks for the sympathy.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Make sure you check the voltage from the points that the battery leads to and not on the battery leads. If you make a cold solder joint the voltage might not pass to the pad. So even though you are getting 3.6v at the battery the board might not be getting it. Just a possibility.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
I can tell you from experience that you can't change these batteries like you can the b-boards. The single boards die the moment you remove the battery without power or helper battery. Its almost as bad as CPS3.

On that note. I changed my 3S battery two weeks ago and it worked for 2 days. I left on vacation for a week and it was dead when I got back. Battery was still good. Solder job was still tight. Just dead...

I sent a couple of these to someone who is trying to figure a way to revive them. We'll see.

There is a current limiter resistor in series with the battery that you must not bypass if using a helper battery when you are changing the battery on the all in one boards that is not present or just not in the way like the b board counter part. Bypassing the battery is like flipping a coin, you might get away with it or not, also if the resistor is damaged or removed the board will definitely die. You don't have the luxary of a capacitance discharge to keep the board alive like the b board counter part either

I have the equipment raz is missing and Mitsurugi-w has donated me some dead boards and I am certain these can be revived provided raz phoenix code is compatible and I can restructure it correctly to accommodate the simms and when I get the programmer adapter together

Artemio

NEST Puppet
That is great news mainman! Thanks for bringing some hope for my (now dead) board.

Please keep us posted in this regard.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
As mainman has already explained, these boards can be phoenixed. I have helped people do it in the past, the only problem is I myself dont have a compatable programmer for the devices used.

loegan43

I've served my time in the Dark Army., Have you?,
15 Year Member
Any news on this topic? I have a single board CPS2 that I'd like to get phoenixed if it's possible.

Last edited:

Artemio

NEST Puppet
After that incident and about a year ago I was curious about reviving the single board/black CPS-II hardware.

I did implement a working method, using a working CPS-III Warzard/SFIII-NG board and a modified CD/ISO to write Phoenix code to the CPS-II SIMM.

This works by running the following code (binary not provided):

http://code.google.com/p/black-cps2-phoenix-tool/source/browse/trunk/cps2black.c

That patches the ISO of those games to be used on real hardware, and the SIMM of the CPS-II game in the SIMM #5 position. Rewite the game, and you are as good as done.

Hope this is useful to somebody else

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
After that incident and about a year ago I was curious about reviving the single board/black CPS-II hardware.

I did implement a working method, using a working CPS-III Warzard/SFIII-NG board and a modified CD/ISO to write Phoenix code to the CPS-II SIMM.

This works by running the following code (binary not provided):

http://code.google.com/p/black-cps2-phoenix-tool/source/browse/trunk/cps2black.c

That patches the ISO of those games to be used on real hardware, and the SIMM of the CPS-II game in the SIMM #5 position. Rewite the game, and you are as good as done.

Hope this is useful to somebody else

I don't know jack about code?

How would I use this?