Cowboy Bebop Netflix

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
So here's the opening between this and the production photos I don't have high hopes for this. Looks like a fancy fanmade project with a big dash of Sin City and Firefly. It just looks hokey and goofy, which the animated series was a bit but it was also very muted and restrained when it needed to be. I have no real problem with the casting (we'll see about Faye once she starts talking) and don't think there's a way to do Ed properly in live action. At least they kept TANK!

Not feeling that at all.

Last edited:

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
This will likely be a disaster but I'm pretty non-plussed about the whole thing. Using Tank! and trying to recreate the feel of the opening credits is a bold choice. I don't particularly mind Jet being black or Spike being "resting terrified face" John Cho (most of the characters in the show were racially ambiguous save the obvious stereotypes). The lady playing Faye is 200% wrong though.

Edit: Yeah, you can't do Ed in live-action. That kind of manic, weird energy would be embarrassingly cringe coming out of a real person's mouth.

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Faye especially looks like a cosplayer. I get that you can't have her running around in basically a bikini top, hot pants and go-go boots in real life but she just doesn't seems like like a femme fatale at least judging by her body language and costume so far. I'm getting more of a sexy tomboy feels there which is totally against the original character.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
HahaYIKES! Holy shit, Cho and the rest must be shitting their pants when they saw how badly that turned out.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Yeah, the original costume would look stupid on a live person but you can still capture the idea of the character (con-man who uses sex appeal as a distraction/diversion tactic) rather than just giving up and turning her in to "rejected Firefly character design #27". That doesn't ruin the show in and of itself... it just shows that the people behind this don't get the show's aesthetic and therefore, probably don't get the show.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I wasn't a fan of the original and having said that...

This looks stupid

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Interesting that they seem to be redoing multiple episodes from the original season, I was thinking it would be totally fresh content

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Jet should be black and is, so that's a good casting.

I always figured Spike for a Jew given his last name is Spiegel. I like John Cho but I don't think he's a good choice for Spike, even if they were going to cast an Asian guy to play him to placate anime fans who don't want whitey playing their characters. Spike is supposed to be like 27; Cho is almost 50.

They explicitly show that Faye is from Singapore in the anime so they missed that casting a latina woman.

This would probably suck no matter who they cast, though, so who really cares.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Jet should be black and is, so that's a good casting.

I always figured Spike for a Jew given his last name is Spiegel. I like John Cho but I don't think he's a good choice for Spike, even if they were going to cast an Asian guy to play him to placate anime fans who don't want whitey playing their characters. Spike is supposed to be like 27; Cho is almost 50.

They explicitly show that Faye is from Singapore in the anime so they missed that casting a latina woman.

This would probably suck no matter who they cast, though, so who really cares.
Yeah, because if there's one thing the Chinese triads are known for, it's their widespead hiring of Jews. I agree Jet's casting is fine, but there is absolutely zero in the cartoon to suggest he is or should be black. You're kind of a moron.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
This show was so fucking good when I was 15. I felt so fucking cool when I watched it, when I was 15. I'm not 15 any longer and shows don't make me feel much of anything nowadays.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Yeah, because if there's one thing the Chinese triads are known for, it's their widespead hiring of Jews. I agree Jet's casting is fine, but there is absolutely zero in the cartoon to suggest he is or should be black. You're kind of a moron.
Spike carries an Israeli pistol, has a very Jewish name, and has a Jew fro. Watanabe didn't explicitly say Spike was Jewish but when asked directly, replied, "Sure, why not?"

I realize that Jet is white in the anime but he listens to jazz and blues and he was voiced by a black guy in the US dub, which is what I saw first, and I always pictured him as black because of it.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I'm a little disturbed by this, did we need it? I dunno but I'll give the first episode a watch. Weird... just weird.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I could say something using the name Spike and a Jewish slur but I won't. I'm not better than that. But I'm not.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
This series shouldn’t have happened, but if it did:
Spike - Jason Schwartzman
Jet - Michael Jai White
Faye - Genesis Rodriguez?

Singapore folks aren’t Latino Fami.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I could say something using the name Spike and a Jewish slur but I won't. I'm not better than that. But I'm not.
Spike would ideally be played in the 1970s by Elliot Gould. Can't think of a better dream candidate for his character.

Also a "true" cinema live action Bebop would have to have little to no kung fu if they wanted anyone to take it seriously. Replace all hand-to-hand action with guns and luck-based violence or else it's immediately trash. Michaal Mann would be perfect to direct and choreograph this

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
that's Watanabe saying "why yes, I see lots of attractive jew males in the 70s movies and cop dramas that inspired this cartoon"

the japs dont have the same concept as the jews as we have, what he was inspired by, he didn't register as "thats a jew guy"