Cowboy Bebop Netflix

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
So how was the Cowboy Bebop live action anyways?
Watching it having almost completely forgotten the specifics of the original series as I'd not watched it since it was new however many years ago that was. I actually didn't mind the live action one as I was watching it as it's own thing and not comparing it to the anime.

Yeah, there was some of it that i didn't like (mainly Ed & Julia). But overall I enjoyed it enough that I was going to watch the second season. Not going to get that now...

But for real if watching it as it's own thing and not comparing it to the original it's a solid enough way to spend your time. And even when comparing it to the original it's better than most remakes/reboots. You wanna shit on remakes go watch the 2014 Robocop (nothing redeeming about that) or the 2016 Ghostbusters (nice SFX but holy shit was it unfunny & boring). I don't feel that the live action Bebop deserves the hate it's gotten since it was announced

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Watching it having almost completely forgotten the specifics of the original series as I'd not watched it since it was new however many years ago that was. I actually didn't mind the live action one as I was watching it as it's own thing and not comparing it to the anime.

Yeah, there was some of it that i didn't like (mainly Ed & Julia). But overall I enjoyed it enough that I was going to watch the second season. Not going to get that now...

But for real if watching it as it's own thing and not comparing it to the original it's a solid enough way to spend your time. And even when comparing it to the original it's better than most remakes/reboots. You wanna shit on remakes go watch the 2014 Robocop (nothing redeeming about that) or the 2016 Ghostbusters (nice SFX but holy shit was it unfunny & boring). I don't feel that the live action Bebop deserves the hate it's gotten since it was announced
Slight derail, I don't get the hate for the 2014 RoboCop movie.
Sure, it wasn't as good as the '87 movie, but it also wasn't the complete dumpster fire I was expecting.
I found it to be a quite tolerable and watchable movie.
Anyway, unpopular opinion.
I'm sure I'll get dog piled for it.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
i bet you fuckers liked total recall too
It pains me that there is/will be a generation that will only know of the remake.

giphy.gif

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The Total Recall remake will be remembered like the 2000 Rollerball remake.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
I totally forgot their was a total recall remake.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
The problem with all of these remakes is they're creatively bankrupt and are largely made by untalented people trying to stand on the shoulders of giants. The Cowboy Bebop remake may be a serviceable action/sci-fi show and there's a place in this world for totally serviceable if uninspired action/sci-fi shows... but the original show is a genre-defining work. If you're going to have the audacity to try to remake something genre defining (like Robocop or Total Recall or Ghostbusters or whatever else), you can't just make something serviceable or get pissy when people point out that your thing is a pale shadow of the thing you're apeing.

In other words, fuck remakes and fuck the dipshit execs who keep greenlighting them because it's easy/safe money. Not exactly a bold, fresh take but people don't seem to take it to heart.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
If you're going to have the audacity to try to remake something genre defining (like Robocop or Total Recall or Ghostbusters or whatever else), you can't just make something serviceable or get pissy when people point out that your thing is a pale shadow of the thing you're apeing.
Yup.

Plus they always have to play it super safe to get the broadest appeal nowadays. Which always ends up with something generic that is satisfying to nobody. So turning something like Robocop into a bland PG-13 snoozefest just guarantees that it will be a failure. In fact I would be less offended if they remade something and it was a wildly different take completely doing it's own thing but that never happens. Even when they actually try the studio always comes in and fucks things up for no real reason. Look at The Thing reboot, they did all the practical effects but the studio cut them and replaced them with shoddy CG. That wouldn't have made the movie great but it would at least be worth watching.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member

So I saw this video today and this guy isn't saying anything we don't already know but he sums it up pretty well. Plus as mentioned it applies to so many other recent things.

I'd like to say I'm surprised by how the chick that played Faye acted in her little video but I'm not. She comes off as a total condescending bitch and I'm sure she really is but to actively antagonize your fanbase is one of the most idiotic things you can do especially when the show hadn't even aired yet. Way to shoot yourself in the foot you dumb hoe.

She's not the only one who handled the criticism poorly but she is indicative of a confusing trend recently, acting like you know better than your fans in this type of manner is so arrogant it's puzzling and has never once achieved anything beneficial.