Consolizing 4 slot pointers

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
After spending a lot of time researching, reading and preparing to consolize a 2 slot the purchase fell through.
For every super meter wasted there's another just waiting to be filled and I'm about to own a 4 slotter.
I've begun searching through the forum, YouTube and Google but obviously there's not as much info on consolizing them as there are on the single and 2 slots boards.
Anyway, was wondering if anyone had any pointers (don't need a guide) - just things to keep in mind, issues they had or some cool bits they wanted to share it would be much appreciated.
Some pics of some 4 slotters not in the CMVS thread would be cool too.

Thanks

dkarDaGobert

Kuroko's Training Dummy
These are the files i have on my pc at work which i used for consolizing my 4slot mobo (Pics: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?242046-my-4-slot-cmvs&p=3515605&viewfull=1#post3515605 )
mv2-rgb.jpg
source should be hardmvs or the thread on this Forum, not 100% sure
schemacollegamentijamma.jpgscartpinoutmvs.jpg

if i remind correctly i used the gnd and 5v from the jamma connector (soldered the wires on the end of the connector, almost not visible)

PS: i used this power supply: http://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/Mean-Well/T-60A/?qs=V9a8iPeg90wWuRhRC4PTgA==
which fits inside the case of the MVS, no external supply needed.

Last edited:

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
Great, thanks for the heads up. Did you have a pic with that power supply in the case? Cheers.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You can consolize a 4 slot with just a normal 5v wall transformer, you don't need an arcade power supply.

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
Thanks for the info.

I was wanting to pick up some stuff before Xmas so I can work on it when everyone is sleeping on the couch/floors etc. after the Xmas feed. My 4 slot is scheduled to arrive Xmas Eve so I wonder if anyone can tell me the following as I'm going shopping blind:

- Plexi size for base.
- screw sizes for PCB feet/cover.
- minimum PCB spacer needed to put between the PCB and Plexi.
- any nice PCB feet people are using. Am not a fan of the traditional PCB feet.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Thanks for the info.

I was wanting to pick up some stuff before Xmas so I can work on it when everyone is sleeping on the couch/floors etc. after the Xmas feed. My 4 slot is scheduled to arrive Xmas Eve so I wonder if anyone can tell me the following as I'm going shopping blind:

- Plexi size for base.
- screw sizes for PCB feet/cover.
- minimum PCB spacer needed to put between the PCB and Plexi.
- any nice PCB feet people are using. Am not a fan of the traditional PCB feet.

There's multiple version of the 4 slot, it's best to wait until you get it to get those parts.

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
There's multiple version of the 4 slot, it's best to wait until you get it to get those parts.

It's a NEO MVH-MV4. You're right though, probably best to take it into the shop with me anyway. Groooaaannn. It's going to be looking at me until the shops open up after Xmas!

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
My 4 slot arrived and it's got 5 feet and pcb spacers/standoffs/pillars around the outside edges between the 2 boards. However there are only 2 spacers used for the cartridge slots. Having never owned a 4 slot or a 2 slot I am guessing there should be 8 for added support as well as feet under them?

dkarDaGobert

Kuroko's Training Dummy
just looked at mine.
i have one spacer each corner, one in the middle of the backside and only one in the area around the slots.
not sure if there are any more screw-holes or if i maybe used them for cables while consolizing.

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
I've definitely got holes for spacers/standoffs on each side of each cart slot. Got the screws today but couldn't get the right pillars.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I've definitely got holes for spacers/standoffs on each side of each cart slot. Got the screws today but couldn't get the right pillars.

Contact Lions3, he can print some for you, the real ones are hard to find since it's an odd length.

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
Contact Lions3, he can print some for you, the real ones are hard to find since it's an odd length.

Yep, mine are like 16mm total in length with a 3mm thread. Changed them all to 15mm and it just doesn't seem right. I have one more place to check before I hit Lions3 up. Cheers.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I think the original ones are like 17.5mm tall. Anything less will stress the board.

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
Any chance you can double check? The ones that came with my mb were 16mm in length and I was just about to order them.

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
Xian was right after ordering what I thought were the right spacers they were wrong. So I double checked, again wrong by a couple of millimeters. My advice is when you check your spacers check them ALL. Turns out that I have 3 different sized spacers. I guess those things happens over time.
Anyway, solved now.

Xian, was external power supplies do you tend to use? There seem to be a heap of crappy Chinese power supplies. Just want something I can buy with some confidence!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Xian was right after ordering what I thought were the right spacers they were wrong. So I double checked, again wrong by a couple of millimeters. My advice is when you check your spacers check them ALL. Turns out that I have 3 different sized spacers. I guess those things happens over time.
Anyway, solved now.

Xian, was external power supplies do you tend to use? There seem to be a heap of crappy Chinese power supplies. Just want something I can buy with some confidence!

For the consolized 4 slot I did, I used a simple 5v@6A PSU. Make sure you use at least 18awg wire for the power jack.

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
Alright, I'm taking it off to the technician this weekend to do all of the soldering, dremeling and wiring. I suck at that. Spacers sorts, case cleaned up, plexi bottom added, feet added (done away with pcb feet - uglllyyyy), added UniBios 3.2 etc. Still sourcing a power supply and finalizing buttons/switches. Exciting times coming....

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
Attached pics of progress.
- Original MVS motherboard.
- Cleaned and painted Gold coz that's what I had lying around.. Got some dints and chips waiting around for spacers to arrive, then more spacers ordered etc. I guess that happens with kids in the house. Not fussed, haven't decided final look. Actually thinking about printed art and plexi like fight sticks because I can't decide on color and look but would love to make some themed art eg. Fatal Fury, Metal Slug, KoF, SS etc. Anyone done art and plexiglass?
- Side shot of spacers and black plexi.
- Underside - black plexi and spacers.

Original.jpg

Top.jpg

Spacers.jpg

Plexi.jpg

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
...and yes I screwed up the feet position for the cartridge slot standoffs :)

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
Xian, I have someone modding the mvs 4 slot now and he was wondering if the 4 slot requires any modding or step up converter for the 12v line or can the board run from 5v exclusively as is?

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
Attached pics of progress.
- Original MVS motherboard.
- Cleaned and painted Gold coz that's what I had lying around.. Got some dints and chips waiting around for spacers to arrive, then more spacers ordered etc. I guess that happens with kids in the house. Not fussed, haven't decided final look. Actually thinking about printed art and plexi like fight sticks because I can't decide on color and look but would love to make some themed art eg. Fatal Fury, Metal Slug, KoF, SS etc. Anyone done art and plexiglass?
- Side shot of spacers and black plexi.
- Underside - black plexi and spacers.

View attachment 42388

View attachment 42389

View attachment 42390

View attachment 42391

The gold color looks excellent!
Maybe a nice SNK logo on top, and I think you are set.