Console shmups - pad or stick?

Master Tasuke

Pathetic Meat Sack, Doll Fucker and Collector of J
PADs are all i've ever played with since my first GENESIS in late 1989, until i got my AES about six years ago. i can see the appeal of a STICK,
but since ALL my other VGCs are PAD based, and i've no STICK-type controllers for any of them, save for my NES ADVANTAGE, which truly SUCKS ASS IMHO,
i continue to be a PAD player almost exclusively...

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
So I had ordered a Street Fighter Anniversary pad for PS2 before making this thread, been playing lots of Shmups and Mega Man X collection, and the dpad is pretty bad on my ps2 controller. Pretty pleasantly surprised, the dpad on the SF2A pad is similiar to the saturn pad, best 10 bucks I have spent =)

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
PADs are all i've ever played with since my first GENESIS in late 1989, until i got my AES about six years ago. i can see the appeal of a STICK,
but since ALL my other VGCs are PAD based, and i've no STICK-type controllers for any of them, save for my NES ADVANTAGE, which truly SUCKS ASS IMHO,
i continue to be a PAD player almost exclusively...

I took apart my Advantage and greased the joint, it squeaks a little but is super loose now. I recommend you do the same.

Master Tasuke

Pathetic Meat Sack, Doll Fucker and Collector of J
yeah, that sounds like it might do the trick. i recall the stiff stick being the reason i disliked the ADVANTAGE that one time that i tried it on MEGAMAN 4, IIRC...

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
My highest score run on Mushi Futari Black was with a SF4 pad. I still play most shooters with a lapdog though, go figure.

o.pwuaioc

Crossed Swords Squire
I use the stick as well. feels great playing shmups, fighters and beat em ups on an arcade stick

This right here. And old arcade games with actual joysticks. Pads are only good for platformers, action-adventure games, and RPGs.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
I heard a while ago, it might have been on Cave STG, that the world record holder on Akai Katana at the time used a bone stock 360 controller.

What's a "SF4 Pad" that I've heard mentioned? I've seen shitty looking PDP controllers at gamestop with six "microswitched" face buttons, is that what you're talking about?

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Pads are only good for platformers, action-adventure games, and RPGs.

According to who?

I understand why sticks are preferred.

However, I feel like using a high quality stick on older console shooting games is like using a machete to slice an apple. It might look and feel cool, but I don't really need it. Personally, I don't want a full seimitsu stick for an old console shooter that requires little to no tap/micro dodging etc.

Also, about the Akai Katana WR, there are a ton of excellent players that use stupid crap like keyboards etc. Again, it all comes down to personal preference.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Also, about the Akai Katana WR, there are a ton of excellent players that use stupid crap like keyboards etc. Again, it all comes down to personal preference.

ASID is right, we're hear having this stick vs dpad discussion, meanwhile there are a legion of people that use keyboards.

Under the category of "stupid crap" I wonder how well my Pop N Music controller would work.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Does anyone know if that Hori PC Engine/Megadrive multi stick will work with a USA region Genesis?

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Keyboard > pad any day. Having discrete inputs for directions is much nicer than the dpads for many consoles.

o.pwuaioc

Crossed Swords Squire
According to who?

I understand why sticks are preferred.

However, I feel like using a high quality stick on older console shooting games is like using a machete to slice an apple. It might look and feel cool, but I don't really need it. Personally, I don't want a full seimitsu stick for an old console shooter that requires little to no tap/micro dodging etc.

I didn't mean high quality sticks; e.g. for the NES, I use the Advantage, for Saturn shmups the Virtua stick suits me just fine.

Fighting games are a different beast though, and those, on the Neo Geo and later require a nicer stick.

Mai_Lover

Dodgeball Yakuza
Pad for platformers, Stick for shmups.

Question: Some have spoken about getting a quality stick and having it multi console modded or dual mod, etc. Could you explain that in more detail and who does this service for us? I am considering getting a Hori or Qanba with bonafide Sanwa parts and would like to be able to use it on any system. Thanks!

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
I could do it, or really anyone technical on the forum could. Multi-console stick mods are quite easy nowadays. You generally have two choices: the MC Cthulhu, or the PS360. If you want to ever use it on older consoles like the PC Engine/TG16, NES etc. get the Cthulhu. If you just care about PS3/360 support get the PS360. Both will do PS3/PS2/DC which are the main fighting game consoles. PS360 has the bonus of out-of-the-box 360 support. Cthulhu supports 360 in a roundabout way - if you truly need it to work on nearly every console, this is the one to get.

IIRC most Qanbas after the earliest ones are dual-modded out of the box. At any rate, any stick with genuine Sanwa/Seimitsu parts is good enough.

Last edited:

everten

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
The PS360 supports the Saturn now too

Still no support for NES, SNES, or Genesis as far as know. I'm using stick with a Cthulhu, although it doesn't support Genesis. I think the issue is that it needs to use 9 wires so we might not ever see it as long as Ethernet jack is the standard.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, although for me personally, I never have much of an urge to use a joystick with a NES, SNES, or Genesis. Most of the arcade conversions have superior versions elsewhere. The important systems to me are Saturn, PS1/2/3, DC, Neo, and 360.

Of course, it doesn't help that these days I prefer using a Saturn pad most of the time over a stick and I have a Saturn to Cthulhu converter.

everten

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
I have noticed something odd with the Cthulhu and Saturn. While playing Layer Section, if you make a quick movement left or right and stop, the ship will actually move the opposite direction a hair when you let go of the stick. I don't think this is suppose to happen unless I just didn't notice when using the pad. Seems to always happen on the first stage and will go away at some point. Not sure if it is a problem on all games, will have to test it.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
You sure that's not your stick? Like, you're letting go, it's snapping back into place but going a little too far and hitting the other direction slightly?

everten

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Pretty sure. I have a 4lb spring on the jlf so I think that would stop the bounce back in the opposite direction or maybe that's my problem. But like I said it will stop happening as I play.

Jreach

n00b
I have noticed something odd with the Cthulhu and Saturn. While playing Layer Section, if you make a quick movement left or right and stop, the ship will actually move the opposite direction a hair when you let go of the stick. I don't think this is suppose to happen unless I just didn't notice when using the pad. Seems to always happen on the first stage and will go away at some point. Not sure if it is a problem on all games, will have to test it.

This happens in Layer Section, after you finish your move, it automatically pulls you in the opposite direction a bit.