Component switch recommendations

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I want to try to get everything that can be hooked up via component set up that way, and so I've been thinking about getting a switch and am looking for recommendations.
I'm concerned about getting something that will alter the signal in a noticeable way, and most of what I've seen so far are the cheap no-name switches for 30-ish bucks which I'm leery of.

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys!

ovalfastlx

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I took a gamble with used Phillips component switcher from my local Savers. It's the kind that is powered and also has the Auto switch feature.

I would say get one that is powered and Auto feature is highly recommended as the switcher would switch to the port as the console or device is powered ON.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
I run a lot of stuff on component. Have a few older Sony manual switches that have always worked well. Picked up a Gamestop branded one a couple years back as it was recc'd to me here I think and it's surprisingly good (also a manual switch). But that still wasn't enough so I picked up a pair of Extron RGBHV 12 input switches which should be awesome if i ever git off my ass and hook em up. Only thing about the Extrons is that they're BNC so I had to grab a 100ct lot of BNC to RCA adapters so I can hook things up. Got the pair of Extrons for $150 shipped which is pretty good imo as they're rather large/heavy and were very spendy when new (like $8k each I think for the ones I grabbed).

Here's what the Gamestop one looks like https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-GameStop-RCA-Switch-Box-AV-4-Port-In-1-Out-Splitter-4-way-Video-Game/401426913372?hash=item5d76e8985c:g:T38AAOSwiKlZwcB2

Last edited:

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Manual switches usually have less problems vs automatic from my research and experience. Tldr it is a lot harder to fuck up a manual switch then having a powered one that has switching logic. With that said some of the best ones are powered ones when done right. Just make sure with any setup you use good shielded component cables on the inputs and output.

Like Bubba said, if you need a million inputs and want stuff to go to multiple outputs simultaneously a extron crosspoint is certainly the best option. Only downside is it takes up a lot of room and you will need to buy used. They make them in 8x8,12x12, etc. Another downside is a lot of them use phoenix connectors, although I've seen ones that use BNC for audio too. Just thought I would mention that.

If you want something that is compact look for a GCOMPS, same guy who made the GSCART. It automatically switches too so you never need to switch inputs. It is expensive at $100 but it is quality. Only thing that sucks is that it is limited to 4 ports.

Here is a pic of it in action with my giant fire daisy chained unstable acrylic electrical death trap setup

cNUyK4Al.jpg

Unfortunately other component switcher options are pretty much buying used and going by word of mouth.

Last edited:

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Renmauzo, do you only want to switch Component and nothing else? Most people have a mix of at least YPbPr/Component + RGB consoles...if not Composite, S-Video, and/or VGA thrown in. The only switch I know of which can switch every one of those is the Extron Crosspoint which I'm a HUGE fan of. Totally changed my setup (for the better).

Sure, they have their downsides (4.5" wider than an original Xbox but less deep), need a $4 Sync stripper added for some select consoles (only PS1/PS2 for what I run), and some adapters for sure (which every setup needs - usually in more than one place), but the payoff once you're done and can switch EVERY retro console's signal I know of (everything before HDMI) is truly priceless. All lossless. All with industrial professional grade equipment

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
If you want to go new the 4 port component switch that Monoprice sells is pretty good, only reason I'm not using it is because I wanted more ports. I currently use an old Pelican 8 port switch that has served me well for years, but they are kinda hard to find these days.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Thanks guys! Sounds like a lot of great options here and gives me a place to start. I am thinking of some other hookups like S-Video and VGA, so that Extron sounds interesting. I don't have anything RGB modded yet, but I'm starting to get the itch (and for an OSSC as well).

Again, thanks a lot for the recommendations, everyone!

CrazyDean

Zero's Secretary
A friend gave me a "Psyclone" 4 into 1 switch which accepts and outputs component, s-video, and composite. It has a programmable LCD and a remote. They came in silver or black.

The company is out of business now but you can get them used for like $30.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
I keep hearing really good things about CablesToGo and Psyclone switches but I can't vouch for them personally.

Personally I use a manual switch from GE which is decent

In my main setup I use a powered (non auto) switch. I really like this one and the price is good. If you want something quick and easy go with one of these. If you dont mind spending a little more then yeah it seems like CablesToGo would be a really fine optioin

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
The GCOMPS looks great. Having only 4 inputs for $100 feels lame, but I'd only want to plug in supergun, PS2, Wii, and PS3...

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
If you want something that is compact look for a GCOMPS, same guy who made the GSCART. It automatically switches too so you never need to switch inputs. It is expensive at $100 but it is quality. Only thing that sucks is that it is limited to 4 ports.

Here is a pic of it in action with my giant fire daisy chained unstable acrylic electrical death trap setup

cNUyK4Al.jpg

Hey ChuChu,

What do you think of your gcompsw – Component / Composite switcher?
(www.gretrostuff.com/store/gcompsw-v1-0/)

Are you using it on an HD TV or a CRT?

I'm thinking about getting one for my Sony CRT which I currently have a Genesis, SMS, SNES and NES hooked up to with a cheap composite switcher.

Right now I have component cables for just the Genesis. But I'll get another for the SMS and one for the SNES when I can from hdretrovision.com.

I don't think I'll ever mod my NES for component.

Right now I feel my gear displays really well even though everything is on composite. I'm eager to see if I'll notice a difference.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
If you are only switching video, can you just use a composite switch instead?

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
If you are only switching video, can you just use a composite switch instead?

As a passthrough possibly but I'm not sure if it would degrade the signal quality as composite switches are not as refined in terms of internals.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Uhg the GCOMPS is actually $127 shipped? Pass.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Hey ChuChu,

What do you think of your gcompsw – Component / Composite switcher?

It is pretty solid with no quality loss whatsoever iirc and automatic switching. With that said it only has 4 inputs, one output and is a little expensive. I only have three things hooked up to the component switch atm (Gscart Lite RGBS to SB2840 component, Wii, and Neo-Geo with one component input remaining).

You can use it as a composite switcher too which is cool but there are better alternatives.

From Ste's research at rectalvision a lot of component switchers kinda suck but he does have recommendations if you don't want to spend $127 on a switcher.

also I didn't know you could have one SNES/Genesis HD retrovision cable hooked up to both consoles at the same time. That is pretty damn cool that he engineered it to not leak current into the other console when plugged in with a y splitter cable.

http://www.hdretrovision.com/vote3rdparty/

Uhg the GCOMPS is actually $127 shipped? Pass.

Yeah shit sucks the shipping is expensive but he ships it super nice with an anti-static bag and insured. My order came super fast as well.

Last edited:

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
It is pretty solid with no quality loss whatsoever iirc and automatic switching. With that said it only has 4 inputs, one output and is a little expensive. I only have three things hooked up to the component switch atm (Gscart Lite RGBS to SB2840 component, Wii, and Neo-Geo with one component input remaining).

You can use it as a composite switcher too which is cool but there are better alternatives.

From Ste's research at rectalvision a lot of component switchers kinda suck but he does have recommendations if you don't want to spend $127 on a switcher.

also I didn't know you could have one SNES/Genesis HD retrovision cable hooked up to both consoles at the same time. That is pretty damn cool that he engineered it to not leak current into the other console when plugged in with a y splitter cable.

http://www.hdretrovision.com/vote3rdparty/

Yeah shit sucks the shipping is expensive but he ships it super nice with an anti-static bag and insured. My order came super fast as well.

I'm worried about throwing money at a some random component switcher and having it fall short. The only reason to get a device like this is to hopefully improve the video quality.

And I still feel that the composite output I'm using now is pretty good. That could be because I just haven't seen any better before (on a CRT TV).

alteredbeastcrt1.jpg

I guessing that I'll notice a difference. But enough to justify this much money? I'm just not sure yet.

It is very cool that you can use splitters to split your TV's component and share your HD RetroVision Cable. I also didn't notice that detail. If you're just using two consoles on one TV this is a great solution.

I'll likely go the gcompsw route if I do anything at all. But right now I'm still recovering from some recent game purchases.

ChuChu, thanks for the details! Much appreciated!

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
I want to try to get everything that can be hooked up via component set up that way, and so I've been thinking about getting a switch and am looking for recommendations.
I'm concerned about getting something that will alter the signal in a noticeable way, and most of what I've seen so far are the cheap no-name switches for 30-ish bucks which I'm leery of.

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys!

I own two of the old radioshack 4 port component switches, the first one has been working like a champ since component was still a viable technology, they also come with a nifty little remote, I found an aftermarket one that was still boxed for the second one and have it hooked up to my crt's in the garage

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
I have a Psyclone switch I bought from a guy I know for $30. Still have yet to use it, but from what I've heard they're pretty good. I have another component switch from GE, which was decent for video but one of the sound channels was way too quiet.