Coming out of Left Field: Jani Lane of Warrant Dead at 47

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1668933/jani-lane-dead.jhtml

Warrant Singer Jani Lane Dead At 47
Former hair-metal frontman was best known for hit 'Cherry Pie.'

Jani Lane, the golden-haired former lead singer of 1980s hair-metal band Warrant, was found dead on Thursday in a hotel room in Woodland Hills, California.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, police found the body of Lane (born John Kennedy Oswald), 47, at a Comfort Inn, with no cause of death available at press time. Lane was best known for the Warrant hit "Cherry Pie," which he wrote and which featured a guitar solo by Poison's C.C. DeVille. The double entendre-filled video for the song — packed, of course, with a bevy of video vixens — was a staple of MTV programming when it was released in 1990.

The singer was born in Akron, Ohio, on February 1, 1964. He began his career as a teenage drummer before moving to Florida and playing in a series of metal bands. Eventually he made the trek to Los Angeles with future Warrant drummer Steven "Sweet" Chamberlin in search of fame and a steady gig.

He was recruited to join Warrant in 1986 and the band released their major-label debut, Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinking Rich, in 1989, spawning the hits "Heaven" and "Down Boys." But it was 1990's Cherry Pie that really put them on the map, selling three million copies and making them hair-metal superstars. The title tune was written on the back of a pizza box, which can reportedly be seen on display at the Hard Rock Café in Destin, Florida.

The following years, though, proved tumultuous for Lane, who left the band several times as their fortunes faded and album sales dried up in the wake of the rise of the darker, more aggressive grunge rock sound. He rejoined the band in 2008, only to leave again that same year.

Lane released a solo album, Back Down to One, in 2003. He dabbled in acting, appeared on VH1's "Celebrity Fit Club" in 2005 and toured with Great White in 2010 as a fill-in lead vocalist.

Though a cause of death was not known at press time, Lane struggled with alcohol over the years, pleading no contest to misdemeanor DUI in 2009 after an arrest for reportedly crashing into a parked car. A similar incident sent him to jail for 120 days in 2010.

A number of Lane's musical cohorts tweeted their condolences overnight, including Mötley Crüe's Nikki Sixx, who wrote, "I just heard the sad news about Janie Lane. So hard to swallow when people have kids. RIP."

Another friend, Poison singer Bret Michaels, said, "We'd like to offer our deepest condolences to the family of Jani Lane regarding their loss. Respectfully, Bret and all at MEGI."

Former MTV VJ Martha Quinn also expressed her feelings on Lane, writing, "Super sad news. Janie Lane, dead at 47 ... #RIP Jani Lane."

A number of other cohorts also posted about Lane's death, including Slash, Crüe drummer Tommy Lee, former Guns N' Roses member Steven Adler, Ratt singer Stephen Pearcy and wrestler/rocker Chris Jericho.

A piece of my childhood just died, even though it's a piece I'm kind of embarrassed about. :emb: Still, sad Nana is kind of sad.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
I completely forgot about this band. I guess they weren't so big down here or something.
But dying young sucks, rip.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I HATED Warrant as a kid. Mostly because you couldn't escape the video for Cherry Pie when it was new, and for several years afterwards. I really got sick of them rather quickly.

That said, Lane's early death is a sad tale. I had nothing personal against that band (why would I, really?) and to find out that the lead singer of a once super famous band from MTV's true heyday passed away in a Comfort Inn, of all places, just has 'sad, forgotten old dog going off somewhere to die' all over it.

Hair metal was poseur music, to be sure, but one thing I will give that whole set was that they lived fast and looked like they were having FUN with their music. They actually enjoyed being the minstrels, bards and troubadors of their era.

Grunge may have been more substantial music, and really tapped into the angst of a teen generation burned out on glam, but their music was so depressing and morose. It's like they hated even being alive, but they made sure to make records that told us all about how much existence sucks.

When I'm not listening to a book on audio or my own MP3 compilations, I'll occasionally catch a hair metal song on the radio and I find myself listening to it. If I hear Twisted Sister or Crue or Poison, I leave it on and smile as I remember how much fun the music and videos were. I hear a song from the grunge era and I think 'man, that was some good music' and then promptly turn the dial because I don't want to spend the next three minutes listening to someone complain about their lives while I drive.

I guess the best way to put it is that, as a distraction, I can listen to hair metal. But grunge...I need to kind of be in the right mood to listen to that.

R.I.P. I may have hated Cherry Pie, but I'll never be able to escape it. You got the last laugh, fucker.

/tips hat

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
My cousin must be devastated by now. She is a huge warrant fan, I remember her driving me around when I was young blasting that shit.

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
I HATED Warrant as a kid. Mostly because you couldn't escape the video for Cherry Pie when it was new, and for several years afterwards. I really got sick of them rather quickly.

That said, Lane's early death is a sad tale. I had nothing personal against that band (why would I, really?) and to find out that the lead singer of a once super famous band from MTV's true heyday passed away in a Comfort Inn, of all places, just has 'sad, forgotten old dog going off somewhere to die' all over it.

Hair metal was poseur music, to be sure, but one thing I will give that whole set was that they lived fast and looked like they were having FUN with their music. They actually enjoyed being the minstrels, bards and troubadors of their era.

Grunge may have been more substantial music, and really tapped into the angst of a teen generation burned out on glam, but their music was so depressing and morose. It's like they hated even being alive, but they made sure to make records that told us all about how much existence sucks.

When I'm not listening to a book on audio or my own MP3 compilations, I'll occasionally catch a hair metal song on the radio and I find myself listening to it. If I hear Twisted Sister or Crue or Poison, I leave it on and smile as I remember how much fun the music and videos were. I hear a song from the grunge era and I think 'man, that was some good music' and then promptly turn the dial because I don't want to spend the next three minutes listening to someone complain about their lives while I drive.

I guess the best way to put it is that, as a distraction, I can listen to hair metal. But grunge...I need to kind of be in the right mood to listen to that.

R.I.P. I may have hated Cherry Pie, but I'll never be able to escape it. You got the last laugh, fucker.

/tips hat

This got me thinking a little. I got into hair metal when I was roughly ten years old. I pretty much shunned most pop music at the time (except what my bro was listening to), and when the hair band stuff died down, I started on grunge. I always thought that if I hadn't listened to GnR back then, I wouldn't be listening to stuff I do today. I probably would be more into pop, and that kind of scares me.

So yeah, while hair metal is still a guilty pleasure, it paved the way for my taste in music today. I can't hate it for that. :buttrock:

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
This got me thinking a little. I got into hair metal when I was roughly ten years old. I pretty much shunned most pop music at the time (except what my bro was listening to), and when the hair band stuff died down, I started on grunge. I always thought that if I hadn't listened to GnR back then, I wouldn't be listening to stuff I do today. I probably would be more into pop, and that kind of scares me.

So yeah, while hair metal is still a guilty pleasure, it paved the way for my taste in music today. I can't hate it for that. :buttrock:

OT:

Kind of the interesting thing about GnR, in my opinion, is that I don't consider them hair metal. They came from that same LA club scene where the subgenre was birthed, but they were something different. Their music was a lot more rebellious and 'dangerous', somehow, than typical hair metal. There was an edgy quality to it, a real grindy element that wasn't slick or glamorous at all. It really felt like 'heroin music', if that makes any sense.

I know people like to classify GnR as hair metal, and I understand why, but I don't think they fit with the scene. I really consider them more a 90s version of 'hard rock.' And the legacy of music they left behind definitely transcends hair metal, IMO. GnR is, in so many ways, the absolute epitome of rock and roll. Rebellious, self destructive, anti-authoritarian and dangerous in a way that most of the other hair metal bands could never hope to touch.

That's just my .02 on GnR.

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
RIP sir, my hope is that no one plays his time on Celebrity Boot Camp( really not a good showing )

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
OT:

Kind of the interesting thing about GnR, in my opinion, is that I don't consider them hair metal. They came from that same LA club scene where the subgenre was birthed, but they were something different. Their music was a lot more rebellious and 'dangerous', somehow, than typical hair metal. There was an edgy quality to it, a real grindy element that wasn't slick or glamorous at all. It really felt like 'heroin music', if that makes any sense.

I know people like to classify GnR as hair metal, and I understand why, but I don't think they fit with the scene. I really consider them more a 90s version of 'hard rock.' And the legacy of music they left behind definitely transcends hair metal, IMO. GnR is, in so many ways, the absolute epitome of rock and roll. Rebellious, self destructive, anti-authoritarian and dangerous in a way that most of the other hair metal bands could never hope to touch.

That's just my .02 on GnR.

100% agreed. I'd put GnR somewhere between hair metal and grunge... but they were really in a league of their own.

Last edited:

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Not to make light of a sad situation, but I find it interesting how many of my friends are bawing over this death like they knew the guy. Now I'm not talking about folks who liked the band or listened to them. I'm talking about folks who previous to today could have cared less about Jani or Warrant. Though since he's passed away, their very world is crashing down.

Posers.

On subject, I was never a big fan of Warrant growing up, but I can understand why some folks got into them.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
That was back in my college years. Well, RIP.

dullbuoy

Leon Ther,
instead of pouring a 40 for the homeys gangsta style, I spray aquanet to the skies...

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Yeah, I know it's necrobump, but I've been kind of down and listening to Jani songs lately. His writing was amazing. I've been gravitating towards Dog Eat Dog and Ultraphobic. I guess he was allowed to be as experimental as he could be in the post-hair era.

I wish he was still around and writing.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I opened this thread thinking WTF? I'm sure that guy died a few years ago.

Then I saw Alpha Skyhooks post.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
What the...I was wondering how would there be any "new development" to the story before clicking.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
3 years on...

Never heard of Jani Lane or Warrant, I'm afraid.

I was, however, bemused to learn that his birth name was: John Kennedy Oswald...

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Thread proves that you can't kill the metal.