Color Ram Error on MV1AX

Geekman1222

Kula's Candy
Hey so I recently picked up a project board that was supposed to have a backup ram error but... it ended up having a color ram error when I plugged it in after inspection. Im not seeing a whole lot of info on this topic with some quick googles and searches so I was hoping for some pointers or help.

The board does have some nicks only to the underside but one trace does seem broken, Ill have to test and fix that one after I buy a 9v battery for my meter. Nothing damaged seems to be around the rams though and for what ever reason the potentiometer for the volume is missing it would be nice if I could figure out a replacement or at least the value on that so I can fit a replacement pot there.

The color error is as follows and is constant on power cycles:

COLOR RAM BANK0 ERROR

ADDRESS WRITE READ
00400000 5555 F255

I have found no damage around the traces of the Rams on the board that being said I have not re-flowed solder yet because I would like to know exactly which chips are responsible before poking my iron where it should not be.

I know a-lot of you guys in here are real wiz kids after searching the forums on repairs and problems the past week or so.

Hopefully its just the color ram thats the issue and not something more serious :|

I thank you for your help!
I can provide photos if needed.

Edit: Just fixed the broken trace but the error is still the same.

Last edited:

Geekman1222

Kula's Candy
So I just replaced the color rams, from the research I gathered it sould have been Ram7 and Ram8. I plug it in and i still get the same exact error. I also tested all the pads and traces under the SMD's i found one broken trace from the pad to a via but I blame the desoldering process as a result though it was very gentle. I promptly fixed that and the pad/pin and via have continuity after soldering the new chip on.

I used SEC 6264BLG-10's as replacements. According to a repair log I saw online the next step may be replacing the NEO-G0 chip but this board does not have one and I am unable to find anything that shows what the alternative chip is. Also maybe that chip would be hard to find or to expensive to replace??

Maybe its too late for this board

If anyone has other idea's maybe the 74 series chips, It would be appreciated.

Sadly Im now at a road block with this board :confused:
Thanks again.

Last edited:

Geekman1222

Kula's Candy
Well It seems not many people know about this issue I guess then. The boards either going to sit in a parts bin or get sold for parts :/