Collector or Gamer?

chohan

Pao Pao Cafe Waiter
I'm a gamer. But I think if I had all the money I would buy all the Neo cards there are and NGPC cards aswell... Kindoff both that is.

Cho

------------------
''Do as you like, it is not my job to kill you''

Hyuri

n00b
I consider myself a gamer first and foremost. Its just a nice little benefit that the games and game systems I love to play are collectors items. However it sure sucks alot from my wallet trying to satisfy my ever growing thirst for entertainment with old carts continuing to rise in price.

------------------
Success measured by body count.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
gamer first then collector.

------------------
lb2_setsunaslash.gif
Has my greed consumed me, of course!

NSX-T

Amusaka's Lacky
When I was younger--> 100% gamer

Now that I am 26 and a lot older-->95% collector and 5% gamer. 5% because I still play w/ my older games that I grew up playing.

Moreover, the only time I play w/ new games is when I test if a game works or not.

D

DigiPunk

I am first and foremost a gamer. I spent much more time playing games than trying to find and buy new games that end up sitting on a shelf.

Its hard not to deny the fact that I also like to collect. Like many collectors, I like a game in its original box with instructions. I wouldn't quite say I'm an EXTREME COLLECTOR that has to have all the obscure games. I play just about every game I buy, especially lately during my period of unemployment.

How many of you tend to be packrats with games? I sell very few of my games. I like to keep everything I've purchased, even if I don't play it too.

------------------

Respect your Elders - Play 2D.

Jackal

SouthTown StreetSweeper
I'm more gamer than collector.

Here are the systems I've got:

Supergun (GW HGA with Taito G-Net and MVS 1-slot)
Arcade cab with Taito F3 system
Neo-Geo CD
Dreamcast (modded), Saturn (modded)
PS1 (modded), US PS2
N64 (Doom 64)
Jaguar (3 games)
Turbo Grafx
SNES
Genesis

There is one "extreme collector" that I know personally. He's got the full Neo-CD library. I could not care less myself, as I pretty much have all the Neo-CD games I like (I don't give a rat's ass about Ironclad, Burning Fight or Master Of Syougi). If I buy a game, I want to PLAY it for Pete's sake.
biggrin.gif
Of course, if I get tired of it and it becomes collectible- then I may consider selling.

DigiPunk- Guess I'm a packrat myself.
biggrin.gif

------------------

1otaku

n00b
For me game playing and collecting are one in the same. Probably because of my experience as a comic book collector. I LOVE to play videogames, so even after playing games for a few years if you keep the ones you like you'll eventually have a collection. I do both collecting and playing on a daily basis. I will say though, that there have been some times I'll either buy or keep a game I'm not really fond of because I fell I SHOULD have it. Hey, not every Neo Pocket game is pure gold. Ha Ha!
Later.

------------------
SNK-Sega-Capcom
The blessed trilogy

dragynchylde

Cheng's Errand Boy
Both!Being a bachelor with a good job is great for the ole game collection! Personally I collect systems then I find the best games for that system. If I accidently buy a turd I'd sell it, but most of the time it's not worth it and I'll give it to a less priveleged buddy.Neo's different tho'. The carts are so hard to find in western Canada that I have to snap up the good(ss2) with the bad(ninja combat)just to play something new! But I just love uncommon systems! JVC x'eye,sega cdx, nomad, fricken virtualboy, NEO GEO, I love 'em all! 19 systems, over 200 games, $12,000 worth of stuff(what I've paid, not what it's worth). I keep almost everything, and play everything I keep.

"smoke 'em if ya got 'em"

edited for spelling

[This message has been edited by dragynchylde (edited April 16, 2001).]

B

Bobak!

I was a pure gamer, but once I started earning money I also became a collector.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Both, MVS though!

------------------
b3_bonkbonk.gif
- Its what OCD is all about!

Testament

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I'm a gamer but I'm getting to become a collector.

I already have on order the SNK Soundcollection of Yamazaki, KOF 96 AST, a Venessa statue and Kula statue.

I have the KOF Dreammatch for my DC, KOF 95 and Fatal Fury Wild Amibition for my PS, a KOF 94 and KOF 98 manga.

I'm still pissed off at my bro for selling my Fatal Fury 2 for the SNES. ARG!

I'm Neo-geoless though. The area where I live is Neo deprived big time. I never even seen a Neo Geo system in my life.
frown.gif

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cros:
Hello all

I’ve been lurking around here for a couple days now and I’ve come up with a question for ya.

It’s obvious all of you are Neo Geo fans, but how would you go about describing yourselves. Do you consider yourself a collector (like people are with baseball cards) or game enthusiasts (you just enjoy the games for the machine).

Personally I consider myself a game enthusiast. My interest in Neo Geo stems from the KoF, Last Blade, Metal Slug and Fatal Fury series. Any game I have no fun playing, I have no interest in owning.

However I noticed at least some of you, like Shawn, are big into collecting most anything Neo Geo related.

Anyway, there’s no real point to all this. I’m just kinda bored and felt like posting.

“I do as I please.”

Im a gamer first then collector.

thundr51

Bead Banger
I'm a gamer, but It's hard to not become a collector when buying MVS. i feel myself becoming a collector. I started off with KOF95 and KOF96. Through time I got KOF98 and recently I've acquired KOF99. Then I started thinking, all i needed was KOF94,kOF97 and kOF2k and i'll have the whole series! Plus since KOf94 and KOF97 are fairly cheap I can easily get them! Same thing with the Fatal Fury's. I already had FFS,RBFF,RBS,RB2 and Garou before I noticed that all I needed was FF1-FF3, and since these were REALLY old games I could easily get them! And so began my descent as a collector... I say that because I know i'll never play KOF94,KOF97,FF1 and FF2.Just the fact that i'll be able to scroll through the games on my 4 slot and see the changes SNK made throughout the years is good enough.

------------------
ms2_arabsbicker.gif

GoSpits

Benimaru's Hairdresser
20 Year Member
Both

I agree that one can be a gamer, while owning a large collection. Whether that means we truly get to appreciate what we own, that's a different question.

As for the museum, I get excited enough for photos and articles online about retro games and online museums. Visiting one in person would be nirvana!

m_bish0p

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I am completely a gamer. I buy used 'hockey puck' games whenever I can. I only care that they play.

I have a cab with a 2-slot, and that's it. No NGH, no NeoCD, and no doubles of anything.

I only buy new when I can't get something used.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
I used to be 60% collector, 40% gamer - but now I think I'm slightly more of a gamer. I do really enjoy both aspects immensely, however. I'm just starting to get into MVS, but still shudder at the thought of selling my home cart collection.

I hate this question as an 'either/or' ....plenty of us would be considered both gamers and collectors. In fact, I don't know a single game collector that just collects games, yet doesn't play them at all, despite what some of the anti-collector crowd around here would have people believe.
Southpark.gif

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
I’d say that I’m 95% collector and 5% gamer. My games spend most of their life in a dark cabinet; a few are still shrink-wrapped/sealed. What can I say, I’m anal about condition. I enjoy collecting. I do enjoy playing all my games, however my main focus is collecting this includes anything Neo related. Most Neo fans are either gamers or collectors; not many are in the middle. Because of the high cost and scarcity of many AES carts this scene naturally attracts collectors.

Hellsing

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I am a gamer only. I love my homecarts but I will never own the high bling bling ones. Thats what MVS is for. ;)

msu89dawgs

Hardened Shock Trooper
I'm definitely one of teh gamerz. Started with AES, went quickly over to MVS. Hey, the carts are just as big, right?

Last edited:

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
Testament said:
The area where I live is Neo deprived big time. I never even seen a Neo Geo system in my life.
frown.gif

I had never seen or touched an AES system in real life until I got my AES. This is a rare system...not everyone has one.;)

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Haha Tonk, I'm wondering if anyone else noticed that this thread is well over 3 years old.

I would consider myself both a collector and gamer I like to collect and play the games neo geo is not the only things I collect , I collect video games,records(vinyl), old cars from the 50's, 70's and 80's toys and anything possiable

for neo geo I like collectiong rare hard to find games but I'm not that anal about
condition for example everything in my collection are not all mint because I like to play them even my rare US release I say just enjoy them unless you plan to be buried with them well thats a different story keep them mint :rolleyes: