Clean Mod Work Thread!

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
Just some arcade stick dual-mods I've done recently for my local fighting game community.

Qanba Q4RAF > XB1
6e6CrZC.jpg

HRAP N3 > PS4
BSupDk4.jpg

HRAP VX > PS4
wGPHRB5.jpg

Last edited:

frsj8112

n00b
Modded one of the Bandridge 5 port scart switches.

Added a Sync stripper circuit, enable/bypass switch and external PSU connection for the sync stripper (I don't like powering them from Scart power if at all possible).

photo%25201.JPG

photo%25202.JPG

I suppose it could be a bit neater, but meh.

Hey Yodd, how did you bypass the original sync signal trace to go to the LM1881 circuit?
Do you have any pictures of the solder side of the SCART-TV-Out?

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Finished up my second backlight modded and biverted Gameboy Pocket.
This is probably my cleanest mod work yet. I've learned a lot along the way. Thanks to you guys for the inspiration. :glee:

NXR0O3s.jpg

O7vcF8V.jpg

06w7l1P.jpg

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
looking good, dude :)

Thanks LV!

It looks like handheldlegend really ownez the DMG mod scene these days!
Between HHL, kitsch-bent, and Thursdays Customs, the DMG/GBP definitely has options.
I like HHL lately because they've been updating their stock more frequently with new hardware development.
Though kitsch-bent just released a new bivert module that has a smaller footprint than the HHL one. It fits between the CPU and the ribbon connector instead of having to route wires down to the speaker area (since the HHL module is best fitted there).

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
Ah, the days of GB Pocket backlighting. I can't believe my shitty "biversion" terminology caught on. The things you come up with in high school...

24.JPG

bartre

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
started wiring up my supergun last night, gonna try and keep the wires somewhat nice

5yxXg4Tl.jpg

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Finished up my second backlight modded and biverted Gameboy Pocket.
This is probably my cleanest mod work yet. I've learned a lot along the way. Thanks to you guys for the inspiration. :glee:

that looks GREAT

Nothing beats a biverted Gameboy. Is that the new chip for biverting I saw on kitsch-bent? So, you don't have to solder and cut traces to the LCD ribbon cable at all? That's awesome. Makes me want to mod a pocket as well, except for that damn screen. Good job!

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
that looks GREAT

Nothing beats a biverted Gameboy. Is that the new chip for biverting I saw on kitsch-bent? So, you don't have to solder and cut traces to the LCD ribbon cable at all? That's awesome. Makes me want to mod a pocket as well, except for that damn screen. Good job!

No, that's the HHL bivert module (the black square pcb in the bottom left). Though I'm going to order the smaller kitsch-bent one for my next GBP mod, it does look like a cleaner install without having run wires around the board. Cheers!

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
started wiring up my supergun last night, gonna try and keep the wires somewhat nice

5yxXg4Tl.jpg

If your Jamma wiring is one of those from chinese sellers, change the power ones. They have a huge drop in voltage.
Clean job btw.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Yup, change them. I think I'm the only one who uses 14awg for 5v and ground in my superguns, everyone else uses 16awg or smaller.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Yup, change them. I think I'm the only one who uses 14awg for 5v and ground in my superguns, everyone else uses 16awg or smaller.

I bought a Violent Storm PCB from a buddy of mine saying that the game was glitchy at parts.
Turns out he had one of those looms. It displayed 5.0v on the voltmeter while it was rating 4.78v with the multimeter. Obviously the chips weren't getting enough power because of that.

It's scary to look at the voltmeter and see 5.2v even tho you know it's not outputing that!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It's scary to look at the voltmeter and see 5.2v even tho you know it's not outputing that!

Tell me about it, I'm working on an AES right now that was supposed to only need a Unibios install. I don't think he ever powered it on as there seems to be a short in the system dropping the voltage. I had to turn up my voltage to 5.20v just to get it to boot and when I measure on one of the TTLs it's only showing 4.40v in the system.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Damn! Does it even have enough juice to load a cart?

Try KOF94 or SamSho I. Those particular two are really bitchy about power that I know of!

bartre

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member

really? 14awg seems like maybe a bit much.
but then again, better safe than sorry when it comes to power.

is 14 gonna cut it for the AC power coming from the wall?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
really? 14awg seems like maybe a bit much.
but then again, better safe than sorry when it comes to power.

is 14 gonna cut it for the AC power coming from the wall?

AC power uses less current, I use 16awg or power and 14awg for earth. You could probably get away with 18awg as it usually only pulls like 1-2A.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'd bet a dollar that Xian Xi uses better cabling for the power lines in his equipment than the power outlets have in your house.

Apocalypse

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Tell me about it, I'm working on an AES right now that was supposed to only need a Unibios install. I don't think he ever powered it on as there seems to be a short in the system dropping the voltage.
That's why I always test systems I receive for modding before even opening them. Some people are sneaky (to say it in a polite manner).

Voultar

I give zero fucks about my customers
It's been a long time, my champions.

PS2 V7:

lpo8AMO.jpg

PS2 V12 with Matrix PIC Fix:

GPpabEW.jpg

SyFM14g.jpg

PS2 V12 with Modbo 5 & Matrix PIC Fix:

f5nb6uK.jpg

PS2 V15 with Matrix Infinity V1.93:

mibx5RT.jpg

Duo R Region Mod:

jqi2pVh.jpg

Nintendo M82 Power Supply fabrication and install:

oLnpXqM.jpg

OMaap0F.jpg

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Voultar mods need more filth. They're abusively clean :D

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Beautiful work Voultar. Can you post a pic of what your Duo-R region mod looks like where the region mod board solders to the HuCard socket pins? I'm redoing that area on my Duo right now and need inspiration.

Voultar

I give zero fucks about my customers
Beautiful work Voultar. Can you post a pic of what your Duo-R region mod looks like where the region mod board solders to the HuCard socket pins? I'm redoing that area on my Duo right now and need inspiration.

Are you referring to the old ways with the Obey Region board?

History lesson time:

I never liked cutting the hu-card pins. I would de-solder the entire hu-card assembly and "lift" the pins that I needed to pull signals from.

257deo8.jpg

Lift those signals out of circuit, position the chip.

2hzplp5.jpg

Then, it's simply a matter of putting it all together. Keep your conductors as short as possible. I always liked using a little heat-shrink on each conductor to keep it clean and neat.

2qtl84j.jpg

Those are my old ways. I don't do'em like that anymore. But if you want to install those older region mod PCB's while not gutting the hu-card assembly, that's how I always did'em.

Hope that helps!

EDIT: Do your homework when selecting someone to do any kind of mod-work. Make it a habit of asking for pictures of their work, along with what equipment they use.

Unfortunately, there are 4 bad modders soliciting their services to every 1 good modder. That's especially true in the PC-Engine world.

Stay away from people like OGHugo and other "fly by night" modders.

OG HUGO.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-Engine-D...999850?hash=item1c4654152a:g:HjYAAOSwGvhUGSJO

Last edited:

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Has Jason started selling those PCE Region boards? There's a possibility that the original "Obey" modchip I installed in a friends PCE DuoR is dead.