Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy VI

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
my dad could totally beat up your dad
But could your dad survive a Chuck Norris and ghost of Bruce Lee tag team ladder match?

I'm going to go with Chrono Trigger. Better gameplay and more polished.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
FF6 - The ridiculous amount of character customization in FF6 with the Esper system that affects both stats and magic ability is second to none. The core of the gameplay is based around magic and is stupid fun if you lean into it rather than complaining that physical attacks become worthless (unless you know how to stack Sabin, Cyan and Edward). The story also hit me at the perfect time in my life (13 years old in 1994) so there is a strong pull of nostalgia here for me as well.

I think Chrono is technically more polished, but something about the scrappiness of FF6 just speaks to me. Still, both are brilliant and represent the pinnacle of Square Soft development. I don't think they've produced a game I like more than either of these in the last 28 or so years.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
its easier to abuse the system in FF6, so FF6 it is. Chrono Trigger is excellent too, but just not as customiziable as 6.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I played through Chrono Trigger again during the pandemic and it holds up fantastically. Pacing is great, no need for grinding, and 5he combat is superb.

I appreciate VI for it's ambition and story, as well as the absolute gorgeous graphics and overall presentation. I think CT eeks it out by a small margin.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
FFVI > FFIV > Chrono Trigger – They're all A+ though.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Chrono Trigger is a damn near perfect game, but I like the characters better in FF6 and I'm slightly more nostalgic toward it since I played it first. I tend to go back to FF6 more often. It's very hard to choose, though.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
For story, id say Trigger. It's just fantastic. But FFVI is the pinnacle of Square RPGs

NexusX

Astra Superstar
Chrono Trigger

But with FF games. FFIX > FFVII
FFVI is the best of the 2D titles though.