Check if your X360 will Die in One Easy Step

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
So there are two kinds of 360 on the market. There are the ones without the new heatsink. These have a tendency to...die horribly. And there are those with the new heatsink, which seem to work a lot better. Which one have you got? Ben Heck can help you, with his highly scientific methodology. First, get a camera. Then put your camera on top of an overturned 360. Then take a picture.

heatsinkcheck.jpg

If you can see your DVD drive, you're fresh outta luck. If you can't see it, you've got a new heatsink in there and your luck reserves are in good shape.

-- Source: Kotaku

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member
Mushiki said:
So there are two kinds of 360 on the market. There are the ones without the new heatsink. These have a tendency to...die horribly. And there are those with the new heatsink, which seem to work a lot better. Which one have you got? Ben Heck can help you, with his highly scientific methodology. First, get a camera. Then put your camera on top of an overturned 360. Then take a picture.

heatsinkcheck.jpg

If you can see your DVD drive, you're fresh outta luck. If you can't see it, you've got a new heatsink in there and your luck reserves are in good shape.

-- Source: Kotaku

Looks like I'll be checking my 360 out when I get it back from the repair center. Sent it out in its 'coffin' yesterday.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
SnairDogg said:
What does that picture show anyways? A good or bad one?

Looks like a bad one, since it appears to be showing the side of the DVD drive.

Mr.Nemoperson

Bunker Buster
15 Year Member
I was under the impression that the only 360s that have the new heatsinks are the ones that got repaired in the last month or two.

BC_Gambit

Beni,
I have a launch day 360.... its still running fine (luckily for me). I'm guessing it doens't have the new heatsink :mr_t:

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Mushiki said:
So there are two kinds of 360 on the market. There are the ones without the new heatsink. These have a tendency to...die horribly. And there are those with the new heatsink, which seem to work a lot better.
wait...what?

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Still can't believe a company actually managed to make a system that's more shoddily-made than the PS2.

EDIT: Extra word in there now gone.

Last edited: