Cheapish AES conversions on Japan Auction sites

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Anyone know who is making this crap? They typically cost about $100 boxed with insert and come with MVS button layouts rather than AES manuals. I’m guessing they aren’t made out of real MVS carts though.

Are they Chinese?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Your chinese
'You're'

oooh you've just been wyOWNED

Anyway I have seen those conversions or perhaps just plain boots on YAJ. I was close to buying an MS1 just to see what they're all about. You should do what I did not and let us know.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
'You're'

oooh you've just been wyOWNED

Anyway I have seen those conversions or perhaps just plain boots on YAJ. I was close to buying an MS1 just to see what they're all about. You should do what I did not and let us know.
I mean, ya its dat MS and MSX which catches my eye.

But I’m a cheap Scottish bastard and want to buy these straight from source for $$$ bootleg bargains

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Nope, looks like they all come from Japan Game Online, based in Barcelona.

There’s a seller on AliExpress selling AES carts made to order. I can’t help but think all that’s happening is those are being bought, then packaged up in a box with a shiny insert. I can do that myself for less than Japan Games Online sell them for. Cos I’m a stingy Scot.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
To add, I don’t have a AES at the moment, I’m just fishing for information on these weird and wonderful cartridges.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I've been seeing a ton of "conversions" on eBay lately from Japanese sellers for under $200. At least they are honest about what they are selling. Although it does make me wonder who's making them and just how shitty of a job did they do? 🤔

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I've been seeing a ton of "conversions" on eBay lately from Japanese sellers for under $200. At least they are honest about what they are selling. Although it does make me wonder who's making them and just how shitty of a job did they do? 🤔
I’ve seen them too. Are they true conversions or mass produced shite from China though?

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I’ve seen them too. Are they true conversions or mass produced shite from China though?
Somehow I doubt they went through the trouble of converting MVS boards to AES. I bet if they did, they would be asking for more $$$.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Most likely they are those half sized, reproduction PCBs. Most games will work perfectly fine. Its when you get into the complex stuff like Garou, Matrimelee, etc. that you'll have problems. If it doesnt run right on the XXX-in-1 carts, it wont run right here.

The difference between JapanGamesOnline and those $100 Chinese specials is the quality of label, insert, manual, and box.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
If it doesnt run right on the XXX-in-1 carts, it wont run right here.

You sure about that? The design of the 161 in 1 carts is pretty old. These new boots could be using new roms rips / pc designs

Also

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
Most of the boots you see on Yahoo Auctions Japan are EPROM conversions of games that are compatible with boards from the 1994 era (SS2, FF3, RBFF, etc). I bought one such conversion a few years ago out of curiosity - a copy of Twinkle Star Sprites. I don't have any other EPROM conversions, but this one ended up sticking around in my library. I've found Repros from NCI, NeoOldStore, etc. to be more common on Ebay - along with KennyBoy's horribly overpriced MVS conversions.

I created a primer on the types of Neo and MVS boots (MVS Conversions, EPROM Conversions, and Reproductions) if you wanna check it out.

This is commonly what I see (pic from ZenMarket, but browsing Yahoo Auctions).
1643452977001.png

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
You sure about that? The design of the 161 in 1 carts is pretty old. These new boots could be using new roms rips / pc designs

Also

The issues with games like Garou and Matrimelee on the 161-in-1 isnt due to old / bad dumps. But them purposely using proto / hacked versions of roms to work around protections.

Garou just now got a perfect bootleg last year from NCI.

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
The issues with games like Garou and Matrimelee on the 161-in-1 isnt due to old / bad dumps. But them purposely using proto / hacked versions of roms to work around protections.

Garou just now got a perfect bootleg last year from NCI.
Which costs about the same as the mvs version. So I’ll stick with that.

Johnny16Bit

Galford's Armourer
I've had one in my hands and they're just sacrificial boots using original PCBs, and made on the cheap in every way possible. Like dremeling off the chips rather than desoldering them, I was told. :eek:
The Operation Ragnarok I had did work though, but other people weren't so lucky.

doaal

Mr. Big's Thug
Somewhat related--I picked up one of those Pix N Love special editions that comes in a snaplock case and while the effect is nice it doesn't feel quite like an original. The surface isn't as transparent which gives the insert a smoky look. Handily enough, the SNK embossing is on the opposite side of the case's inside so you'll mistake it for the real thing. I'm assuming SNK are using the same snaplocks on their own special editions these days.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Is there any one in the community nowadays who still does proper MVS to AES conversions like back in the day?

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I think Kenny was the last one.