Castlevania: Harmony of Despair, finally on psn

Yue

Baseball Star Hitter
Finally!

Though people with a 360 must be tired of playing it by now...

Anyone else gonna get it?

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
ohh cool! I have kinda too much to play right now but sooner or later I will absolutely get this one.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Does this version come with all the content or do you still have to DL it piecemeal like the XBLA version? I don't know if I'd buy all the individual components again, but I'd pay for it if they gave it all to us in one package.

I also wonder if they modified the drop rate for any of the rare items. I played this a ton with peeps for a while but got tired of farming Simon's Armor. I think that's what broke me on the game, to be honest. I thought that it was too hard to get a piece of armor that personifies one of the series' most iconic characters. I felt it should have been easier than that.

I really like the idea that items can be purchased in the shop (in game, using in game money, not DLC bought with real life dollars) if you've completed the stage after meeting a certain requirement. Like, say, not dying on Stage 6 allows you to buy Simon's Armor, but only if you spend a ridiculously high amount of gold to get it. That way, those of us that don't want to live on this game could still get some of those pimp items.

It's not like it's even a MMO where you can show off your pimp gearz to other players. It's just a six player co-op arcade platformer. I don't even think I had this hard of a time farming stuff in SotN or any of the GB or DS games. Seems like a lot of artificial replay to no end.

And screw the boss of stage seven. I hate that bitch.

Overall, I think this game is worth picking up, though. A great tribute to the older games in the series overall, and a lot of fun to play with others.

Last edited:

PinkSweets

King's Dry Cleaner
Does this version come with all the content or do you still have to DL it piecemeal like the XBLA version? I don't know if I'd buy all the individual components again, but I'd pay for it if they gave it all to us in one package.
The only DLC that the PSN version comes with is Chapter 7, Julius Belmont and Yoko Belnades. I believe everything else is sold separately and has the same price tag as the 360 DLC.

That said, the Xbox Live Marketplace should make those few items free now for the 360 users who have not purchased it.

I can't help but feel like Konami created a game that they split in half for a "full game" price tag. They give you half of the game for $15, and the rest for overpriced DLC packs. $2-3 apiece for 8-bit characters and extra music packs? Give me a fucking break.

Last edited:

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
Finally! Though people with a 360 must be tired of playing it by now...

You'd be surprised, I still play two-three nights a week with buddies on XBL

I can't help but feel like Konami created a game that they split in half for a "full game" price tag. They give you half of the game for $15, and the rest for overpriced DLC packs. $2-3 apiece for 8-bit characters and extra music packs? Give me a fucking break.

To be fair, Simon Belmont is a goddamn beast in that game and wrecks everything just as bad as Soma Cruz, it's good shit!

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
wow this thread is just making me less and less hyped for this one.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Yea I never got all the hype behind this game. Felt like a Flash based sprite rip game. Seemed very thrown together and mediocre.

BIGTIME

Galford's Armourer
Yea I never got all the hype behind this game. Felt like a Flash based sprite rip game. Seemed very thrown together and mediocre.

Amen I'm a huge castlevania fan and it was a let down for me.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
The only DLC that the PSN version comes with is Chapter 7, Julius Belmont and Yoko Belnades. I believe everything else is sold separately and has the same price tag as the 360 DLC.

That said, the Xbox Live Marketplace should make those few items free now for the 360 users who have not purchased it.

I agree with this sentiment but I bet you that contractual obligations with Konami and market value for the DLCs prevent them from downgrading the price. Also, there is probably significant research for all kinds of marketing trends that helped to make the pricing decision on a corporate level.

I agree that the DLC is all overpriced, but consumers aren't forced to purchase it. There is plenty of fun to be had with the base game for $15, and the more hardcore fans can spend money on the extra stuff. And this game definitely has a hardcore vibe to it-they will likely grind and grind and grind, so even if they spend $45 or so for the extra characters and stages, it's likely they'll get more than their money's worth out of the many, many hours they'll spend playing it.

Jedah Doma said:

I don't think this is innacurate.

I also don't think that prohibits a game from being fun.

This game is fun, and provides a unique Castlevania experience that can only be had here-2D style gameplay with co-op.

But I think the grinding elements would not appeal to you. It's not as methodical as Demon's Souls (to reference the other thread,) and there is some pretty good twitch style gameplay to be had here, but at least half the attraction of the game is the grinding element SotN made so popular, and unlike SotN, the drop rates and level progression are ridiculously tedious.

BIGTIME

Galford's Armourer
I don't think this is innacurate.

I also don't think that prohibits a game from being fun.

This game is fun, and provides a unique Castlevania experience that can only be had here-2D style gameplay with co-op.

But I think the grinding elements would not appeal to you. It's not as methodical as Demon's Souls (to reference the other thread,) and there is some pretty good twitch style gameplay to be had here, but at least half the attraction of the game is the grinding element SotN made so popular, and unlike SotN, the drop rates and level progression are ridiculously tedious.

Im not gonna knock that people might find it fun because I have liked games tha everyone else hates however, if you are going into it expecting anything like the gba/ds series or symphony of the night it is very dissapointing. Keep in mind this is solely opinion but I havent been this dissapointed in the series since castlevania 64. I only say this because the previews looked so cool with alucard and soma, then they released richter and Julius and I was like f yeah this looks great I cant wait to own it! Saddly as I stated my anticipations did not live up to the reality.

Yue

Baseball Star Hitter
Man, things are a lot easier with certain characters. Being Charlotte isn't easy lol.

amaradona

Kabuki Klasher
you can add me on xbox 360 GT "amaradonajp"....i did not play for months though.

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member
Been enjoying this....hell, I enjoyed it on 360, but I was stuck playing by myself since I was on a Silver account the last few months I actually had one. Glad it is out on PS3. Hit me up if you see me on it, since I'm down to kick some ass.