Cart vs CD

S

Silent_Scope

I have both Cart and CD version of NG Home Systems and don't know why ppl love to buy so-expensive Cart game? I used to have a hugh collection of Cart games but I sold out most of them (only 6 games are with me now...) and got CD version instead. It's cheaper and longer life span than Cart (except for long long long loading time). Why you guys love to shell out big $$ for one game? For collection or ???

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
For me, its a number of things. The instant load times, the great artwork on the inserts and manuals, the feel of these big, chunky cartridges, the IDEA that you own a cartridge that is VIRTUALLY IDENTICAL (if not identical, minus the censorship issues which can be worked around) to the arcade original cartridge. All these things, and the smell of a Neo cartridge has already taken up a whole thread here, but I have to agree that it is pretty cool . . .
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I have a Neo CD system too, and it has some real benefits . . . s-video right out of the box, stereo right and left, great sound quality. The load time sucks, and in some games (like LB2) is unbearable, but overall its nice to have. But the cart system still is my favorite . . .

endgamer

Another Striker
I'll take the home cart system over the cd anyday. Selling point of NEO GEO is the fact the games are exactly like the arcade games, that is why they were so expensive. I love no load times=very happy gamer, load times very bad=frustrated gamer. Given, the cd games are cheaper but they are not complete. I also love those big ass square arcade style controllers the cart system original had. If one can afford it why not go with the REAL DEAL NEO GEO AES HOME CART SYSTEM...if you can't then I guess you have no alternative but to buy the cd system but those aren't exactly cheap either.

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
well

why you guys wasting yer time answering
such a stupid question?

if a person comes here
right
neo-geo.com

and goes like
i have a neo cd and me thinks there aint
much difference and i like it better
than the cart system

then
obviously

we must have lost the plot somehow
along the way

for you mate
sell your neo cd

download your neo rage x
and thats it

you're gonna be fuckin happier than you're now,
this i can tell you for sure

they're even cheaper than your cds
and they dont load

hope that helps

Fran
(the "i know i'm prolly goin to be crucified for this but i cant stand stupidity" dpt )

S

Silent_Scope

Haha.....I'm still a proud Neo Geo Cart Sys owner :P

I know it's a stupid question but hey, "stupid is as stupid does", right
biggrin.gif

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
yeah....

well

each to their own,huh?

i dunno,
to me,
neo cd games,i dont even consider them
to be real snk games

they're better than...
say all of those saturn - psx ports,
but still vastly inferior to the real
proper games

so who gives a fuck if you pay
last blade 2 cd a sixth of the cart

what you get is surely less than a tenth of
the game

so,the point is

if you want a game
and you're a gamer
buy just one cart instead of 10 cds

yeah i'm off now

O

Omega-NEO

FUCK the CD systems to hell! They are bullshit! Both of them suck! I own a Neo-Geo Cart System and have never owned either CD system, and I am proud of that fact! I have never sold a cart I owned for my system, they are much too expensive to just buy, beat, and do away with. Maybe the CD's are cheaper but they don't have the original musical scores of the arcade games. Nor do they have the blazing speed. The longer life span is bullshit! CD's scratch so easily! Carts can fall or be thrown across the room and they still work! Try ripping a CD out of the machine and throwing it into your window... then pick it back up and put it back in the system and try it out... I have thrown a few carts into my window in moments of anger and frustration... waited a while to regain my composure... picked 'em up and given them another chance... to my surprise they worked. The cart system is superior to the CD system in EVERY way. That's all I have to say about that.

FTL

AES Price Guide Analyst, International Moderator,
Staff member
Originally posted by Omega-NEO:
FUCK the CD systems to hell! They are bullshit! Both of them suck! I own a Neo-Geo Cart System and have never owned either CD system, and I am proud of that fact! I have never sold a cart I owned for my system, they are much too expensive to just buy, beat, and do away with. Maybe the CD's are cheaper but they don't have the original musical scores of the arcade games. Nor do they have the blazing speed. The longer life span is bullshit! CD's scratch so easily! Carts can fall or be thrown across the room and they still work! Try ripping a CD out of the machine and throwing it into your window... then pick it back up and put it back in the system and try it out... I have thrown a few carts into my window in moments of anger and frustration... waited a while to regain my composure... picked 'em up and given them another chance... to my surprise they worked. The cart system is superior to the CD system in EVERY way. That's all I have to say about that.
Sorry Omega-neo,I'm a gamer NOT a COLLECTOR.
MANY games are BETTER on CD version.
An example?Neo turf master,best golf and great game,has 1 track more than cart version and also has a handicap mode that manages to mix the holes from different tracks.That is MAX REPLAY VALUE.
In the same way goes for GOWCAIZER that in cd version allows you to play bosses,not so in cart version.
I could go on....
IF you are a collector go with carts...
But if you wanna play you should consider CD extras...

G!

n00b
Playing on a Neo CD just doesn't feel right. When I play on a Neo CD system, it feels like I'm playing on an underpowered Saturn/PSX system instead of an arcade, a la the cart system.

Besides, that loading in between levels just kills me. Long live the cart. =)

-G!

S

Silent_Scope

No doubt that Cart is superior than CD version but I still like CD in many ways:
1) save space and easy to carry
2) hate the limited continues feature (even though there is a memory card for Cart system but it's so stupid. Plus I've heard card has a limited life ...about 5 years? anyone can help me with this)
3) money is a big issue........
4) loading time is a cool feature. You can do other thing while you are waiting for the next round (like go to restroom, grab a beer or prepare for a good meal, etc)
5) I dont' need to shell out big $$ to buy from those so-called "only SNK distributor" NGF..........ho ho ho

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
The five-year lifespan for memory cards was probably just anther lie by SNK, so people would get frightened & buy more of them. My first card dates all the way back to a 023233 system (certainly over five years) and still works like a charm, though it did once get write-protected, so I had to reformat, but that's all.

JRock917

, ,
carts are better than cds, but I support many game systems and dont have enough money for neo carts and everything else I want, so I buy the cd games and get my fix that way, except if a the cart game I am considering is around the $100 or so, although I am willing to make a few exceptions. If I had lost of money, carts is probably all I would buy when it comes to neo games.