Car Enthusiast Thread

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Based on Autotrader listings it seems to be about 10 pdk cars for every manual car. That sadly means you almost always pay a premium for manual.
Yeah, you'd think it's the end of the world on Rennlist, yet more and more people are buying automatics. I keep this short story around every time one of them gets on a Manual soapbox.

Why Lamborghini Trashed the Manual Transmission

Badgered about the lack of a manual by journalists during a tech session on the new Huracán at the automakers headquarters in SantAgata Bolognese last week, chief engineer Maurizio Reggiani brought up the fact that just five percent of Gallardo orders were for a manual. Mid-sentence, he was interrupted by company CEO Stephan Winkelmann who commented that the 5 percent statistic was ancient.

Close to zero percent Gallardos were ordered in manual, he said.

In fact, orders for a manual transmission were so few and far between admits Winkelman that every time one came in they had to go back and re-check the order form, confirming with the dealership that a mistake hadnt been made.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Having my oil heat bill shrink by half, and my electric (during the summer) reduced by 40% (we used to have window units) is noooooo joke. Splittys rule!

Back to cars, for a second: still loving the Flex. Bummer that Ford forsaked them, to have Great Value Jeeps (Neo Broncos) take up the slot in the category.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
d43d75b2-porsche-carrera-gt-replica-ebay-13-1024x555.jpg

Trans Porsches ARE Porsches.

Took a few pics today

Attachments

• 693E4A2B-E9B5-4A05-B85A-25CDCEA9EABC.jpeg
    693E4A2B-E9B5-4A05-B85A-25CDCEA9EABC.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 14
  • CD1CBE9C-462C-47CA-A883-A85CC5C354DA.jpeg
    CD1CBE9C-462C-47CA-A883-A85CC5C354DA.jpeg
    6.3 MB · Views: 12
  • 06ACAB29-C008-4034-93F3-9C7D54033E13.jpeg
    06ACAB29-C008-4034-93F3-9C7D54033E13.jpeg
    6.3 MB · Views: 14
  • 6F24CDB4-178D-49EB-B90F-5BEB1CB258A9.jpeg
    6F24CDB4-178D-49EB-B90F-5BEB1CB258A9.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 15
  • BD3340C3-869E-4F83-B9A7-124EFCAE56C3.jpeg
    BD3340C3-869E-4F83-B9A7-124EFCAE56C3.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 14
Lets see, Ive had this car for 2 winters now, still needs a long list of love but so far weve done:

Brake pads and rubber brake lines
Tires
All fluids
Ceramic tint
Different air cleaner setup
Plugs and wires
Belts and a few hoses
Fixed a big electrical issue
Mishimoto/holley retrobrights
Rebuilt the wiper system
Aftermarket center console
Bed mat
Bed rail delete
All new AC system
Half deleted the wonderful 80’s smog system.
Tacky GT grant steering wheel

Left to do:
Paint correction and touch up
Shifter detent has gotten mushy
Engine and tranny mounts
Junkyard S10 brake upgrade
Exhaust/Finish deleting the smog system.
Ive bought all new window and door seals and trim, needs installed
And eventually install fuel injection on that stock 305 till it pops, and then we’ll slip a blue print 350 under that fuel injection.

Attachments

• D235694A-6946-43F1-ACDF-6EF3598BCD60.jpeg
    D235694A-6946-43F1-ACDF-6EF3598BCD60.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Force

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
20 Year Member
Hiw do you like the twin turbo V6?
I love it. I’m getting 18mpg average and there’s tons of power everywhere above 2k rpm’s. Plus it’s a Toyota so I’m sure it’ll actually last, which I’m pretty excited about. I plan on keeping this 10 - 15 years.

lithy

20 Year Member
Figure I should toss a picture up since this thread got active.

Pulled it out last week for the first time since fall. I bought a pretty nice set of oem 7 spokes over the winter knowing I needed new tires anyway so it would be a good time to replace the totally beat ass Daisy wheels that were on the car when I got it. The car was originally an M edition with polished 7 spokes but I don't care for polished wheels and all the other M-edition specific parts were stripped before I got it anyway.

So got the new wheels and tires mounted this week and went and sprayed off the winter accumulation of garage dust.

It needs an oil change and will change the transmission fluid if I can be bothered but otherwise no real plans for it this year, I'm catching up on deferred maintenance on my daily driver (14 Flex with 160k miles).

PXL_20230414_013726087.jpg

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
How often should transmission oil be changed? I’ve been a believer in ‘when it goes nasty or the gears stick’ but I prob should be more proactive about it.

I‘ve been busy getting quotes for a full respray for the 924 as some of the paint work is looking rather sad, which is not unexpected for a 38 year old car. Prices quotes have been from £2500 to £6000. The place I’m going to use is about in the lower middle of those two figures, but I liked the guys patter and description of exactly what remedial work he was going to do to the car, plus they’ve recently resprayed a similar era MG which looked good in the shop so that’s helpful to see.

Scatty paintwork pictures incoming:

Spoiler:

687D3E1B-CB4C-405C-B6FD-C0DCB95CC107.jpeg
F9ADC2E8-6895-4BBF-BACA-69E1D00ACC5A.jpeg
E254DA3F-22D0-4CBA-AE44-1A85AA090CAC.jpeg

lithy

20 Year Member
The Miata I just want to change because I never have since I owned it. It still rows through the gears just fine so I doubt there is much wrong with it besides maybe being old.

However on my daily with an automatic transmission, I've taken to doing a drain and fill every other year with oil changes which gets about 5-6qts out of a total 12ish. No flush type service so as not to rouse up any junk. Although I may reduce the frequency to every third year after the third change, one because I figure I will have refreshed most of the fluid pretty well by that point and two, because I'm now doing more like 10k miles a year on it while the first few years I had it I was doing 20k a year.

Maybe it's paranoia but the transmission has a non serviceable filter (well you have to pull the trans and split the case so at that point it's all the labor of a full replacement) so if it staves off a potential problem it's cheap enough insurance.

It also has a stupid AWD unit that holds less than a pint of gear oil and sits right by the exhaust and just bakes in heat, so after the first one failed (bought car knowing it was already iffy at 80k miles and got it to last to 140k) and was replaced for a nice $1500 bill, the new one is getting annual changes from here on out.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I had my Miata out, top down for the first time this Spring. I really need to put some miles on it to freshen up the fuel. I do use an additive but the turbo is begging for fresher gasoline.

lithy

20 Year Member
Got the tune up done on my daily last Sunday. New plugs, coils, injectors, new gasket on the intake manifold, new gasket and a good cleaning of the throttle body, new PCV valve, all four O2 sensors replaced.

Some of that was probably not totally necessary (the coils and injectors in particular will get tossed in a box to be kept just in case I have one randomly go bad down the road), but the plugs were certainly overdue at almost 160k and probably original. Accelerates more smoothly now, want to see if I picked up a little mpg on the next longer road trip.

Also replaced the clockspring on Saturday to restore my steering wheel radio controls and took the chance to put a fresher steering wheel (supposedly from a 30k mi car and looked great) and changed the trim color. Happy with how that turned out and since it's the main thing I touch and look at while I'm driving, it will be nice for a while to come.

Old
PXL_20230422_162513201.jpg

New
PXL_20230422_180758096.jpg

lithy

20 Year Member
Then today soccer practice got cancelled so...

Anyone here that enjoys car cleaning/detailing?

Ugh. I got it as clean as I could stand with a regular wash today while the kids 'helped'. But I did notice the hood feels rough. Wondering if it's contamination either iron or otherwise and I should look at some more serious products.

Never used a claybar, but thinking about giving it a try or maybe something like Sonax fallout remover first?

How often should transmission oil be changed? I’ve been a believer in ‘when it goes nasty or the gears stick’ but I prob should be more proactive about it.

I‘ve been busy getting quotes for a full respray for the 924 as some of the paint work is looking rather sad, which is not unexpected for a 38 year old car. Prices quotes have been from £2500 to £6000. The place I’m going to use is about in the lower middle of those two figures, but I liked the guys patter and description of exactly what remedial work he was going to do to the car, plus they’ve recently resprayed a similar era MG which looked good in the shop so that’s helpful to see.

Scatty paintwork pictures incoming:

I dont know dude, in my old age, paint like that doesnt bother me anymore. Its very freeing to not have to give a fuck about babying the body and paint. Repaint it and be worried forever and be stuck babying it forever. Or just let it go and use it as inspiration to give it full throttle harder into more corners. Personally I would leave it. People will constantly point out those flaws but its not theirs.

I had my Miata out, top down for the first time this Spring. I really need to put some miles on it to freshen up the fuel. I do use an additive but the turbo is begging for fresher gasoline.
So is the car all sorted and finished? Seems like all the small stuff never gets finished on most turbo conversions. Did you get a chance to drive its balls off last summer?

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I'm driving it hard and really don't need to do much else but there's a few things I plan on doing. It's fast and surprised a bunch of people. It's got a 4.10 rear end but I have a 3.7 for it. I don't "race" but screw around so I think the smaller gear will be more fun.

Took it to the carwash to rinse off the dust.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I dont know dude, in my old age, paint like that doesnt bother me anymore. Its very freeing to not have to give a fuck about babying the body and paint. Repaint it and be worried forever and be stuck babying it forever. Or just let it go and use it as inspiration to give it full throttle harder into more corners. Personally I would leave it. People will constantly point out those flaws but its not theirs.

In general I agree with you, but for this car too many bits of bare metal are exposed. I live near the sea and in about 3 years this car will look like swiss cheese unless I take action now.

For most of my prior shit boxes I’d leave the paint as it was. But since I intend to keep the 924 for a long while, it’s getting the special treatment.

It will probably increase the value as well, but probably not as much as the actual cost of the respray. Oh well.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
In general I agree with you, but for this car too many bits of bare metal are exposed. I live near the sea and in about 3 years this car will look like swiss cheese unless I take action now.

For most of my prior shit boxes I’d leave the paint as it was. But since I intend to keep the 924 for a long while, it’s getting the special treatment.

It will probably increase the value as well, but probably not as much as the actual cost of the respray. Oh well.
Oh my gay. Shut the fag up. Roll your fat useless ass under your queer vehicle and rattle can the struts with rust inhibitor: god damn what the fuck is wrong with these non-crack smoking coward europeans

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Oh my gay. Shut the fag up. Roll your fat useless ass under your queer vehicle and rattle can the struts with rust inhibitor: god damn what the fuck is wrong with these non-crack smoking coward europeans

Lol. You USA fags have no idea how badly cars rust here. It’s completely different rules over here. Having a car live more than 15 years without some sort of treatment is a bloody miracle. It’s wet and saltier than your cunt for 5 months of the year here.

Plus, not everyone has a yard and/or garage to do this work themselves. Anyway I’m addressing the body panels, not the struts - which yes is a relatively easy job but for body painting I’m leaving that to a professional.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Lol. You USA fags have no idea how badly cars rust here. It’s completely different rules over here. Having a car live more than 15 years without some sort of treatment is a bloody miracle. It’s wet and salter than your cunt for 5 months of the year here.

Plus, not everyone has a yard and/or garage to do this work themselves. Anyway I’m addressing the body panels, not the struts - which yes is a relatively easy job but for body painting I’m leaving that to a professional.
Dude. You are wrong. Ill post pictures of my pride and joy.