Car Enthusiast Thread

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I found a nice '99 Mustang GT convertible with 45k miles for my kid at the end of last year. We replaced some parts - tires, brakes, lights, belts, fuel filter, etc - and did some minor engine work.

Almost had a mini disaster replacing the idler pulley as the threads on the aluminum timing cover got stripped. Ended up drilling a new wider hole straight through into the engine and used a bolt for a 70s Dodge I found that was a perfect fit to mount the new pulley.

Other than that, it's been fun fixing it up together. Next up is installing a new stereo and replacing the spark plugs and coils before she heads back to college.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
My local does something they call Lowkey Autocross. Basically, it's a bring whatever, no classes, parking lot with cones autocross event. They'll even rent you a helmet. It is timed but only for your own satisfaction. It's $40 and you'll usually get 3 runs.

I saw a guy blow up the engine in his Corvette Z06. I did the lap faster than a Hellcat in my Miata. I saw some local college kids bring their electric Formula SAE car to one.

I haven't done it in a couple years but it was a pretty affordable way to drive as fast as you want with little danger, just don't hit the timing equipment.

They also have a kart track there that I have been wanting to try.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
That sounds like a blast.

When I did it for the first time, it really made me reevaluate what I really wanted in my car. There were a lot of cool and uncool cars there. FD RX-7 (which won,) a few Miatas, a small club of Lotus Elises, a WRX, and my friend who brought the wife's Saturn Ion because why the fuck not. I hadn't had my Miata long at that point so I still had stock brakes, busted suspension and bad tires, and even as a rookie with a passenger I was only slightly slower than the Lotus Elise guys. I finished a solid middle of the pack, which I was happy with considering most of the other guys were in better cars and much more experienced than me. A lot of "faster" cars were much slower thanks to the super tight course. My instructor took me for a ride in his supercharged race Miata and it was the most fucking insane thing I've ever experienced.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The price of Porsches is seriously making me consider selling. It's ridiculous that I can get nearly 50% over what I paid for a car I bought 5 years ago.

Considering an F-type R or Evora... or possibly nothing. Just selling it outright.

846FA936-7C62-4057-9577-2DF5F3BE9AFD.jpegAC13E459-F979-4D40-B70C-238823031651.jpeg81C6D1C2-99A1-4C87-856E-D50E885658E5.jpegD8795A2C-93BA-417D-A3C5-890345CA0CB6.jpeg4BEE55C5-8067-4D4B-BD50-601C2BF4BB89.jpeg

I present to you the car Jeremy Clarkson called the worst car ever made: my ‘02 Lexus SC430 with 31k miles. Its a car a lot of people hate but thats fine with me, Ive owned 3 other lexus’ of this era and am familiar with UZ’s from those and a few other toyotas. Its hard to beat this era of toyota products when it comes to build quality and simplicity in my mind. Found this guy out of state with the most meticulous obsessive deep service records ive ever seen, all from one dealership. It has a really good verifiable ownership story behind that. Has a pile of the late model oem upgrades including those pebble beach wheels. Has a brand new set of coilovers as well.

It needs a few things: tint, tires, ride height adjustment, proper wheel spacers. I had the full timing service done plus a few extra seals that overlapped with the timing labor, and an ignition refresh. The interior has never been touched or cleaned in its 19 years im betting, really needs a good scrub, also things like that front plate mount needs deleting etc. I’ll post more pics in fall when its all sorted, but this is her in the raw.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
SC430 is a great looking car in my book. Way more reliable than a Mercedes SL and probably more fun.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I spent last week in a 2020 Ford Raptor (long story)...and...

I was shocked at how little I liked this vehicle. It’s massive, it feels sloppy, the 10-speed trans is horrible, the V6 sounds terrible, the acceleration is shockingly poor and turbo lag is notable. The interior is fitted with super cheesy “carbon fiber like” plastic crap, there’s a gargantuan plastic hood vent thing smack dab in your view…it’s just terrible. One thing, the seats are comfortable…so I guess there’s that.

I’ll admit that I didn’t use it for what it is “designed” for…but who gives a shit? I bet few Raptor owners actually use it as designed. The thing is clumsy on the road and did I mention that it’s as wide as a house? Highway “floor-it” runs were shockingly disappointing and while the 10 speed trans was constantly shifting, that V6 sounds just awful, shockingly so. I can't believe that Ford, with their ever-obsession with engine sound, would have one sound so freaking terrible.

Lastly…and this might have just been an issue with this particular truck, but the braking was freaking terrible. Not only does the thing just not want to stop, it would shutter and clunk as you were decelerating…as if it had a warped rotor or something. It was awful…and it only had 12K miles on it.

This thing came across as a lame, dude-bro, “extreme” look-at-me contraption with a massive price tag. Sure, it might be capable of some serious off road backwoods haggard crap, but who cares?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Raptors are for the redneck versions of the "my Honda Civic is a sports car" crowd.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
is there a truck that isn't oversized? Even the new ford ranger's are giant.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
It's not really any smaller than the Ranger. maybe a few inches.

Really? I hadn't really seen much about it and assumed it was significantly smaller, if that's all then what's the point.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Ford figured out a way to sell a 20k truck for 60k+ in the Raptor.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I found a nice '99 Mustang GT convertible with 45k miles for my kid at the end of last year. We replaced some parts - tires, brakes, lights, belts, fuel filter, etc - and did some minor engine work.

Almost had a mini disaster replacing the idler pulley as the threads on the aluminum timing cover got stripped. Ended up drilling a new wider hole straight through into the engine and used a bolt for a 70s Dodge I found that was a perfect fit to mount the new pulley.

Other than that, it's been fun fixing it up together. Next up is installing a new stereo and replacing the spark plugs and coils before she heads back to college.

I just noted this.

The 4.6l gen Mustang is a fairly fun, but flawed car. My brother has an '03 convertible that he has done minor work on. He fixed what I felt were some of the major issues with that mustang, the stance, the exhaust, the brakes, the wheels. Minor things that add up and make for a nice package.

It's no rocket-ship...but I really do not feel that is the point of the thing. It's fun to cruise around in with the top down. It's fast enough to get out of its own way and that 4.6 is a really nice sounding engine with the right exhaust.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Really? I hadn't really seen much about it and assumed it was significantly smaller, if that's all then what's the point.

I have the same question, but maybe Ford sees different users. Despite ~10 in less length, it has more interior space and same cargo. I guess it depends on why you are buying a truck....Personally, the maverick seems like a better truck for 95% of the truck owners.

Tbf, i honestly dont understand the majority of truck owners tho... They barely fit in normal parking spaces. I cant imagine one in the city parking lots. They have awful mileage and performance. Terrible transmissions. And zero reliability.... Maybe they have some resale value, but so does everything right now.

Got a set of fresh continental extreme contact plus’ to replace those 12 year old run flats, had the rake fixed and the car raised an inch, got proper h&r wheel spacers and extended studs installed, deleted the tpm system from the car and got a 4 wheel alignment.

Ive never had such a short list of stuff improve a cars handling and personality so greatly. Maybe its because I havent given any of my cars a proper 4 wheel alignment in many years…

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I have the same question, but maybe Ford sees different users. Despite ~10 in less length, it has more interior space and same cargo. I guess it depends on why you are buying a truck....Personally, the maverick seems like a better truck for 95% of the truck owners.

Tbf, i honestly dont understand the majority of truck owners tho... They barely fit in normal parking spaces. I cant imagine one in the city parking lots. They have awful mileage and performance. Terrible transmissions. And zero reliability.... Maybe they have some resale value, but so does everything right now.

After 6 years of owning a full size truck, I've come to the conclusion that the best truck,........is a borrowed truck.

There are probably 5-10 times a year that I need a full sized truck to move things around. The other 355+ days a year? They suck. They are massive and living with them daily can be a pain at at times. They are also freaking terrible on slick roads...4x4 doesn't matter, it just becomes 4-wheel skidding and there's always the issue with having all the vehicle weight up front.

I know its different strokes for different folks, but I got tired of owning one, I much prefer what I have now.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I can't say anything bad them, a friend had two over the years. He owned the local arcade so I'd help him load/unload cabs.

Big fan of the El Camino.

My car hits the dyno Wednesday!

It bogs down then rips if you nail the gas. I can't wait until it's all dialed in.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Talk me out of buying an el camino
So long as you're prepared to replace all the seals in the engine and transmission, and most likely have the carburetor rebuilt, and most other things that have any form of rubber seal, id say go for it. My experience with first buying a single owner 85 monte carlo, and now im the second owner of an 84 gmc truck, basically the first year of driving it is just replacing parts that have dry rotted. After that, its a rock solid great vehicle that doesn't look like every other stupid box thing driving down the road.

Damn max youve got some good chevy taste!

I really should have kept my silverado SS or my old cheyenne. The price of even 90’s chevy trucks is astronomical. Drove a few colorados and was left pretty meh feeling.

I feel el caminos are in a weird place price wise, maybe under appreciated, especially the 80’s ones. Its really all the pickup truck you need, and those interiors are great.

Ive also recently come to term with my love of goon cars, and el co’s are definitely goon cars.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
why a Camino when there is the subaru Brat? or the new Hyundai Santa Cruz