Car Enthusiast Thread

Force

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
20 Year Member
I went and test drove a '04 Mustng Mach 1 today....

My first fun car was an 03 Mach 1. I really had a lot of fun with it, and the look was great, but, the newer stangs outclass it in almost every way.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
My first fun car was an 03 Mach 1. I really had a lot of fun with it, and the look was great, but, the newer stangs outclass it in almost every way.

Outclass is a funny word...

There a point where advancement is welcome...and a point where you may intentionally want something that feels "older".

I'd have to drive a '05 or greater before I'd make that decision but that '04 feels archaic in a good way. It actually handled much better than I expected it to as well. It's far from a track car but it performs well enough to not feel out of control.

I had forgot how rough the older Mustangs felt...my last "musclecar" was that '04 GTO and it was rather refined. I haven't sat my butt in one of those Stangs since 2005...

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
how much more "advanced" are the 05+ stangs anyway?

isnt it practically the same chassis and suspension design? did they add a phb or watts link to the rear? thats all i can think of. torque arm?

just got a 10 gal 4hp compressor and some air tools and i cant wait to go at it tomorrow. no real goal other than adding a tensioner pulley to the fiero but who knows ill prolly just take shit apart for the hell of it because itll be easy. :lolz:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
how much more "advanced" are the 05+ stangs anyway?

isnt it practically the same chassis and suspension design? did they add a phb or watts link to the rear? thats all i can think of. torque arm?

just got a 10 gal 4hp compressor and some air tools and i cant wait to go at it tomorrow. no real goal other than adding a tensioner pulley to the fiero but who knows ill prolly just take shit apart for the hell of it because itll be easy. :lolz:

As for being the same as a '05 or better...I'm not sure...

I know the '03/04 Mach 1 is basically the 2001 Cobra give or take. They did add the heads from a '03 Cobra and a few other goodies including a better rear gear and upgraded brakes...it's normally putting down better #'s than a 2001.

I have to say I was really impressed with the feel of the car. It was rated at 305hp, 320tq from Ford but most dyno #'s proved that wrong. It seems to common #'s are actually around 320hp and 340tq flywheel. Like I said above, it was easy to control. Although rather raw in it's approach, it never felt out of control. It was rather brutal in the ride quality but I couldn't give a shit about that...it's not like I would drive the thing on a daily basis.

I'll have to keep my eye out for one. I found some nice, low milage models on Autotrader for the high 16's, low 17's...I'll save some $$ and start looking next spring. I really hope to get my hands on a Azure Blue model...

Last edited:

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Intake ports are being ported according to Pineapple Racing's Large Streetport template

Exhaust ports will be ported according to Pineapple Racing's EP2A template, which is pretty big for NA applications

I'm actually planning to do a full rebuild, even if my engine is running pretty well (75k miles)

After the full rebuild I'll remove the AC, ABS, all the emisions crap, install the solid thermal pellet, remove the OMP, install Pineapple Racing sleeves on the aux ports, and do the banjo bolt mod on the primary fuel rail (bye bye pulsation damper). I obviously plan to run premix.

I will also play a little with the ignition, so that it goes better with the ported engine.

That's now... the future?

- Custom True Dual Exhaust
- Coilovers
- Aluminium Radiator
- Electric Fan
- Battery Relocation
- Performance Clutch + Lighweight Flywheel
- IDA Weber Manifold
- 55/53/50mm Individual Throttle Bodies
- 2x 1000cc Injector Dynamics Injectors
- Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
- Jacob’s FC1000 Ignition Amplifier
- Haltech PS10000 EMS
- Gilmer Pulley Kit
- 2-Way LSD
- Modded Knuckle Spindles

That's it :)
Ah, you're using a 6-port n/a? Somehow I thought you were turbo.... I'm considering getting some kind of fuel control and a large streetport myself, but I'm shy of 30k into a new engine, so it'd be silly to go for a port job at this point...

Anyhow, sounds like yours should be solid. I take it you were on stock ports before? Would like to know your thoughts on how worthwhile the port job is.

There a point where advancement is welcome...and a point where you may intentionally want something that feels "older".
This. There's a point where advanced technology makes a car "easier" to drive, but kills the feeling of intimacy with the car - I'd rather driving something that's a bit slower but requires a bit more familiarity with the car an understanding of how it works, than something that's a bit faster and more powerful but you know a computer is doing half the driving for you.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
This. There's a point where advanced technology makes a car "easier" to drive, but kills the feeling of intimacy with the car - I'd rather driving something that's a bit slower but requires a bit more familiarity with the car an understanding of how it works, than something that's a bit faster and more powerful but you know a computer is doing half the driving for you.

I know I keep saying it but I am shocked at how "connected" that Mach 1 felt. Again, possibly I had forgotten how it felt to drive a SN95'ish Mustang (Yes...I know a '04 is not considered a SN95 but I think it should be...they're basically the same).

The car has a great feeling of connection with the road, the throttle, the transmission...

I'm not going to say its smooth because its not. The clutch is a beast (quite like my '03 Cobra was), shifting the stick was like rowing a boat ( a good short throw would fix that)...hell, even the seats were squishy and unsupportive on the sides leaving you to have to fend for yourself in the corners...but not in a bad way...in a "old Mustang" sort of way.

I was so used to the high bolstering of my GTO and Mazdaseed I forgot what an older car feels like when it throws you around as well as itself...funny enough I missed that feeling.

I guess I look at it this way...I can't drive 120 mph...I don't have roads good enough for insane high speed maneuvering...I couldn't use my MS3 for what it was designed for...

That Mach 1 was raw...angry...but not scary like the Cobra. It gives you an intense experience simply doing 45 through town or doing 70 on the highway (especially with the fucking exhaust that thing had). I really welcomed that.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
ive never spent any real time in a newer car, thats how driving both my cars feels.:emb:

i added a spring tensioner pulley to the fiero because the stock design was garbage and i cant believe they used to make everything like that (with the alternator on a swing and you have to push it out to tension the belt.)

also replaced a stud which required taking apart the hub.:oh_no:

and i broke one of the metal brake lines and its a holiday weekend awesome.

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
Ah, you're using a 6-port n/a? Somehow I thought you were turbo.... I'm considering getting some kind of fuel control and a large streetport myself, but I'm shy of 30k into a new engine, so it'd be silly to go for a port job at this point...

Anyhow, sounds like yours should be solid. I take it you were on stock ports before? Would like to know your thoughts on how worthwhile the port job is.

Yep, 6-port NA. There are only 2 turbo FC's down here, one is totally blown, the other has slightly scarred housings but still runs.

I should be able to get about 250whp with my setup. Maybe a bit more if I'm lucky :)

And yes, I had stock ports (S5 irons). I'll let you know how the car changes with the port job. I assume the first real change will come with the port job and full exhaust.

aria

Former Moderator
For the past several months, I always catch myself looking at the gorgeous design of the 2010 Jaguar XK coupe when I spot one in the wild. Ian Callum, who designed a few Astons (like the Vanquish) was behind it, and it shows.

What do people think about it? Has anyone driven one?

I'm a bit biased from the old days, the stories that you needed to own two Jags for when one was in the shop, but I assume they've corrected a lot of that under Ford's stewardship (in fact I have a funny story to relate (later) that was told to me by one of Ford's people assigned to fix the state it was in when they got the brand).

2010xkr.jpg

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
For the past several months, I always catch myself looking at the gorgeous design of the 2010 Jaguar XK coupe when I spot one in the wild. Ian Callum, who designed a few Astons (like the Vanquish) was behind it, and it shows.

I'm a bit biased from the old days, the stories that you needed to own two Jags for when one was in the shop, but I assume they've corrected a lot of that under Ford's stewardship (in fact I have a funny story to relate (later) that was told to me by one of Ford's people assigned to fix the state it was in when they got the brand).

2010xkr.jpg

I love them and yes...they are a head turner every time I come across them. I really grew tired of the older, shit Jag design and this model is really a breath of fresh air. The brash, sexiness of Jag is back with this model...when they pass you on the road it gives you the same sensation you get when a beautiful woman walks in front of you...

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
Jaguars are nice, but I am more of an Aston man.

Astons are much better sorted out design-wise, they are much better proportioned and more harmonious.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
jags are much cheaper than aston's tho.

the xk8 and xkr coupes have held up much better than their convertible counterparts. They look so different.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
Again, possibly I had forgotten how it felt to drive a SN95'ish Mustang (Yes...I know a '04 is not considered a SN95 but I think it should be...they're basically the same).

The car has a great feeling of connection with the road, the throttle, the transmission...

I'm not going to say its smooth because its not. The clutch is a beast (quite like my '03 Cobra was), shifting the stick was like rowing a boat ( a good short throw would fix that)...hell, even the seats were squishy and unsupportive on the sides leaving you to have to fend for yourself in the corners...but not in a bad way...in a "old Mustang" sort of way.

That Mach 1 was raw...angry...but not scary like the Cobra. It gives you an intense experience simply doing 45 through town or doing 70 on the highway (especially with the fucking exhaust that thing had). I really welcomed that.
First off, a 2004 isn't an SN95? I thought all Mustangs from 94 (think that's the right year...) though '04 were SN95s, just a different series of the same car starting in 99.

Sounds like a really enjoyable ride. Raw performance is always as important as anything, but ultimately fun is one of the biggest factors in whether a car is 'worth it.'

Plus, Mustangs are like the Civic of ponycars; a lot of parts out there for them available in all price ranges, generally less expensive than for less-produced cars.

Yep, 6-port NA. There are only 2 turbo FC's down here, one is totally blown, the other has slightly scarred housings but still runs.

I should be able to get about 250whp with my setup. Maybe a bit more if I'm lucky :)

And yes, I had stock ports (S5 irons). I'll let you know how the car changes with the port job. I assume the first real change will come with the port job and full exhaust.
Gotcha. I'm interested in the port job - I may have one in my future (a year from now or so... if I dont' go the supercharger route first.)

2010 Jaguar XK coupe
Looks very nice. Jaguar isn't my thing, though - they're too heavy in general, and not well made (though I understand they've gotten better as of late.)

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
Gotcha. I'm interested in the port job - I may have one in my future (a year from now or so... if I dont' go the supercharger route first.)

Port it, but don't supercharge it.

First of all, the only 2 types of supercharger setups for the 13B are old, out-dated and poorly designed. The superchargers themselves are little and don't match the 13B's flow/powerband, they over-spin, shit always ends up going wrong.

Besides, think about the 13B itself. It's a tiny engine with little torque and colossal exhaust pulses. Does it look like an engine that's better suited for a torque-hog supercharger, or for a turbo that will give good use to that spectacular exhaust flow?

Other than that... most supercharged setups have given the same or worse results than a nicely ported and tuned NA setup. And NA reliability on rotaries is rock solid.

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
I personally really like the 335is. It's much more interesting than the Audi A5.

The twin-turbo N54 engine is very capable and actually under-rated, that can easily achieve 400hp with slight modification.

Now... I believe many 335is had issues with their fuel pumps failling though...

Force

20 Year Member
I personally really like the 335is. It's much more interesting than the Audi A5.

The twin-turbo N54 engine is very capable and actually under-rated, that can easily achieve 400hp with slight modification.

Now... I believe many 335is had issues with their fuel pumps failling though...

Not just the 335i. Anything with the n54 has fuel pump issues. They're on thier, I think, third revision of the pump now and it's still not fixed.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
To satisfy a curiosity I went and drive a 2008 Mustang GT today. It was a fairly stock car with the 5 speed.

To say I was grossly unimpressed by it is an understatement. For having a listed 0-60 time of 5.1 sec...it sure didn't seem like it. I did a hard high RPM 2nd through 3d and 4th pull taking it to around 5700-6000 rpm (figuring the 4.6 likes the high revs) each time and it hit a whopping 80 mph when I shifted into 5th.

Seriously? My Speed 3 would do well over 100 in a hard 3d/4th pull alone and that with limited boost in 2nd.

Everything I liked about the '04 Mach1 was gone and replaced with numb comforts. The steering feels numb, the throttle feels numb...the suspension feels numb. Some would probably define it was "more refined" but I think it killed the entire experience.

I'm not sure if the Mach 1 was really faster or not (according to online tests...it shouldn't be) but it sure felt faster...easier to throw around and it 100% had a more interactive experience making for a feeling of actually being connected to the car.

Needless to say...I WILL NOT be seeking out a '05-09 anytime soon.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
peak hp on a stock 4.6 is around 5000rpm, torque peaks around 4100rpm and starts to drop from there.

sooo, try keeping the car in its power band if you want to feel what it can do.

also final drive ratios determine rpm vs mph more than engine power.

Last edited:

mmsadda

10 Year Member
Soooo my cousin borrowed and crashed my 89 Grand Am daily driver with 40k miles on it.... Time to find a new (used) car. At this point, I'm looking at an 01 Mazda Protege and an 02 Saturn SC1. Kinda leaning toward the Protege at this point.

Also looked at:
92 Celica GT (engine didn't feel right; I'd know, as I drove a 91 for years.)
99 Grand Am GT (had a bit of a funny burning smell, probably from having the engine cleaned... but it was automatic, and more miles than I wanted, so... meh.)
some Camrys and a few other things.

Anyone have any thoughts on what make good, inexpensive ($5000ish) daily drivers?

Port it, but don't supercharge it.

First of all, the only 2 types of supercharger setups for the 13B are old, out-dated and poorly designed. The superchargers themselves are little and don't match the 13B's flow/powerband, they over-spin, shit always ends up going wrong.

Besides, think about the 13B itself. It's a tiny engine with little torque and colossal exhaust pulses. Does it look like an engine that's better suited for a torque-hog supercharger, or for a turbo that will give good use to that spectacular exhaust flow?

Other than that... most supercharged setups have given the same or worse results than a nicely ported and tuned NA setup. And NA reliability on rotaries is rock solid.
Eh... we'll see what I end up doing. I have to say, hearing what you have to say, just a nice aggressive port job along with some tuning sounds like it'd get me about where I want to be. I may look into getting a wideband and some means of fuel control/ECU after I get the new car thing sorted out, and look toward eventually porting.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
peak hp on a stock 4.6 is around 5000rpm, torque peaks around 4100rpm and starts to drop from there.

sooo, try keeping the car in its power band if you want to feel what it can do.

also final drive ratios determine rpm vs mph more than engine power.

Try again there sonny:

http://www.muscularmustangs.com/2007/news01442008mustangspecs.php

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2008/ford/mustang/gt_coupe/816/index.html

peak hp @ 5750 rpm...I tried to shift right past 5500 but I'm no machine so that's why I listed my shift points at 5700-6000 est...

Even if I was shifting at a whopping 250 rpm past the peak hp point...80 mph after a hard 2-3-4 pull is pathetic. End ratio or no...I was expecting more out of a supposedly 5.1 sec 0-60 vehicle.

I've had my butt in many 4.6L cars...I can tell you from experience that they really come alive after the 4500rpm mark...this one did not.

Like I said, I could make my MS3 do 80 in just a 3d pull...and that car was no rocket by any measure...

Last edited:

Force

20 Year Member
I definAtely think the Mach 1 feels faster. It seemed a little more torquey off the line. The newer stangs are way more stable on the turns though. Steering isn't quite up to what I'd want, but after driving a 370 for a few months everything has shitty steering. That car was insanely refined.

Speaking of stangs, local dealership got in a 2011 gt500 with the svt suspension package on Friday. Will take it for spin later today or tomorrow. Hopefully I hate it or I'll be 60 k poorer by tomorrows end.

What worries me is all the clutch issues the car is having since the clutch redesign on the 2010 MY. And the 1-2 shift issue.

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
mmsadda said:
Eh... we'll see what I end up doing. I have to say, hearing what you have to say, just a nice aggressive port job along with some tuning sounds like it'd get me about where I want to be. I may look into getting a wideband and some means of fuel control/ECU after I get the new car thing sorted out, and look toward eventually porting.

A nice exhaust and a custom intake will give you pretty decent numbers, for a NA setup.

Check this fucker out

Picture039.jpg

Picture040.jpg

Picture043.jpg

That streetported 13B is kicking out about 220whp

Here's another example

DSC00004.jpg

IMG_1368.jpg

Same NA engine, switched from the stock intake manifold for this ghetto one, a little tune later... 20whp more

Bottom line, the stock intake and exhaust are extremely limiting

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
Try again there sonny:

http://www.muscularmustangs.com/2007/news01442008mustangspecs.php

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2008/ford/mustang/gt_coupe/816/index.html

peak hp @ 5750 rpm...I tried to shift right past 5500 but I'm no machine so that's why I listed my shift points at 5700-6000 est...

Even if I was shifting at a whopping 250 rpm past the peak hp point...80 mph after a hard 2-3-4 pull is pathetic. End ratio or no...I was expecting more out of a supposedly 5.1 sec 0-60 vehicle.

I've had my butt in many 4.6L cars...I can tell you from experience that they really come alive after the 4500rpm mark...this one did not.

Like I said, I could make my MS3 do 80 in just a 3d pull...and that car was no rocket by any measure...

you see in those same links though peak torque is 1000rpms less, and if you look at a graph it drops off pretty significantly afterwards. its definitely a combination of keeping it in the power band and what the fd ratio is.