Can't get Mame to recogize my rom

Skylink Games

Timid Neo Newbie
I am following the Hello world tutorial from Neogeo Dev Hello World Tutorial and according to the instructions quote:

• Download the latest MAME binaries from [mamedev.org]. Extract the zip contents to a folder such as "C:/MAME/".
  • To run NeoGeo software with MAME, you will need the dumps of the various embedded ROMs which are part of the system. You can find them as a pack called neogeo.zip (various forms, more or less complete). The files needed are 000-lo.lo (64KiB, the LO ROM), sm1.sm1 (128KiB, the M1 ROM for sound), sp-s2.sp1 (128KiB, the system ROM) and sfix.sfix (128KiB, the SFIX ROM). Copy those 4 files to the "C:/MAME/roms/neogeo/" folder (create roms/ and neogeo/ if needed). Like original games these ROMs are copyrighted, so you won't find them here.
All Super Sidekicks ROM files.

• As a base, find and download a Super Sidekicks romset (ssideki.zip) and extract it to "C:/MAME/roms/ssideki/". Make sure that the following files are present and that they are named correctly (MAME is picky about file names and extensions):
    • 052-c1.c1 and 052-c2.c2 (C ROM pair, sprite graphics)
    • 052-m1.m1 (Z80 code, we won't mess with that)
    • 052-p1.p1 (68k code, that's what we'll replace)
    • 052-s1.s1 (S ROM: fix graphics, we'll use it)
    • 052-v1.v1 (V ROM: sound, won't touch that either)
I did that but when I tried to run my code, I got this:

1663791306318.png
I am not sure what I am doing wrong as I followed the instructions and everything is where it should be

1663791512460.png

1663791537842.png
1663791556094.png
Sorry about the large pictures, I am new here and don't know how to make them any smaller. Does anyone have any ideas?

Skylink Games

Timid Neo Newbie
Why are you using mame for testing?
Because that is what the tutorial suggests. I don't have an actual Neogeo MVS and from what I heard they cost a lot. I was thinking of getting this to make it feel a bit more authentic. Is there another emulator you can suggest I use for testing purposes?

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
Please be nice to him guys…

Try - -verifyroms option to see if mame can see your stuff.

Edit: you’re running mame in the wrong path dingus, with that command MAME is trying to find a D:/neogeo-dev/roms/ssideki/ folder. Enter the MAME folder first with cd instead of doing mame/mame.exe

Last edited:

Skylink Games

Timid Neo Newbie
maybe you should zip the fucking rom.
There is a reason why it's unzipped. Quote:

The files needed are 000-lo.lo (64KiB, the LO ROM), sm1.sm1 (128KiB, the M1 ROM for sound), sp-s2.sp1 (128KiB, the system ROM) and sfix.sfix (128KiB, the SFIX ROM). Copy those 4 files to the "C:/MAME/roms/neogeo/" folder (create roms/ and neogeo/ if needed).

Please be nice to him guys…

Edit: you’re running mame in the wrong path dingus, with that command MAME is trying to find a D:/neogeo-dev/roms/ssideki/ folder. Enter the MAME folder first with cd instead of doing mame/mame.exe
Thanks, adding "cd" to my batch file worked!

Hello world homecart release for 800 euros imminent
Nah, looking into maybe doing pong as my first and eventually moving towards a shmup

You should get the mvsx, that looks like a good option for someone into the games these days.
I will look into that thanks.

Any comments on using this to test my game down the line, or should I stick to emulators for now?

Last edited: