Candy Cab: Production Numbers, Retail Cost vs Cost to produce

Professor Plum

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I am not sure anyone has this information but I am very curious.... Any guesses?

1. What was the retail cost to arcades for the main types of Japanese Candy cabs when they came out? What did the average arcade operator in Japan pay for a Egret 2, Blast City, etc, when it was new?

2. How many Candy Cabs did they produce of the different types? For example, how many Astro Cities were made versus how many Blast Cities versus Egret 2s? Guesses?

3. Any guesses how many of each kind made it into the USA? Are there 10,000 Astro cities in the US? Are there more or less than 1000 Egret 2s in the USA? Any guesses on any of the other cabinets?

4. I see that there are people who reproduce classic arcade machines like Donkey Kong, Pac-man, and then they resell for profit. It seems like the cost to reproduce a candy cab would be a lot higher than what you could sell it for. Any idea what the cost was for one of the companies to make a candy cab from scratch? Besides the design costs, the cost of producing the metal and plastic body?

I found this picture somewhere so I thought I would add it to this thread just for lols.

amazinguw.jpg

WupWuh

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I don't have any answers, but these are some really great questions. I have always wondered/dreamed about reproducing a candy cab from scratch. I'm sure that it is not cost effective, but it would be a really awesome challenge for the community to come together and make. I mean it would be great to have a brand spanking new Astro City with some improvements like a rotate mech a la Egret 2 and brand new 15khz monitors that rival the MS9. Apologies for the derail.

SSS

neo retired
I can't see there being 10,000 astros in the us. I'd be surprised if there was even 1,000

I also imagine reproducing a candy wouldn't be feasible. Most of these were made with molds long destroyed. Metal pieces would have been stamped in a hydraulic press.

I'd really love to hear from someone else in the states who has a Neo 33. I'm only aware of mine and stealthlurkers.

Last edited:

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I'll have to double check but there is an arcade/kids zone called Safari Land in the Chicago burbs that has a 33" candy. I don't know if its a generic one or an actual Neo. I remember it having a new game in it. Damn screen was enormous. I'll have to swing by there again and see if what a neo candy.

SSS

neo retired
I'll have to double check but there is an arcade/kids zone called Safari Land in the Chicago burbs that has a 33" candy. I don't know if its a generic one or an actual Neo. I remember it having a new game in it. Damn screen was enormous. I'll have to swing by there again and see if what a neo candy.

Cool, any chance you could snap a photo or two? I think Irem made a 33" candy as well.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
I wonder about the # of Q25s left. There are a few members on here that have them, deadpixels comes to mind and there is one in Europe.

Mine is 100%. 2P12B panel with an original Marquee, Tate, and coin plate.

SSS

neo retired
I wonder about the # of Q25s left. There are a few members on here that have them, deadpixels comes to mind and there is one in Europe.

Mine is 100%. 2P12B panel with an original Marquee, Tate, and coin plate.

there's a pair in VA. There was one in a MD basement in pieces for a while, don't recall if the owner ever got that put together or sold it (might actually be the one deadpixels bought). I saw ken at the gameroom have a least one at some point in the past. So there's at least a few over here.

Definitely my least favorite candy in terms of construction material choice. Putting thin plastic shells over wood. Herp Derp

Those cabinets are ungodly heavy for their size. They sure felt alot heavier than normal 29" cabs.

Edit: I see they are listed at 118 KG aka 260 pounds. Which is as much as a modern pinball machine.

Last edited:

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member

I've got the pair in VA that SSS mentioned. Both are in beautiful shape with original 2P12B panels:

sn_q.jpg

Also like SSS said, Ken at the Gameroom had one maybe six months ago. The panel was 1P and looked pretty bad artwork wise.

Last edited:

scgon

Benimaru's Hairdresser
10 Year Member
More game room pics please!

I've got the pair in VA that SSS mentioned. Both are in beautiful shape with original 2P12B panels:

sn_q.jpg

Also like SSS said, Ken at the Gameroom had one maybe six months ago. The panel was 1P and looked pretty bad artwork wise.

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
More game room pics please!

My candy cabs are in this thread:
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?110616-Show-them-if-you-got-them-quot-Candy-Cabs-quot&p=3317947&highlight=#post3317947

My neo stuff is in this thread:
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?215578-Neo-Geo-Collections/page10&highlight=collections

The MVS/HNG64 cabs and games in the pics in the neo collections thread are about 80% of my collection.

The stuff not specifically mentioned in one of those threads are my 4P D&D cab (you can see it in the background in the pic above), my Galaxian cab (restoration in progress), tons of arcade artwork (most of which I don't have up), and my non-neo boards:

(AW) The Rumble Fish
(AW) The King of Fighters: Neo Wave
(AW) The King of Fighters XI
(AW) Samurai Shodown VI (FK w/ large marquee)
(AW) Neo Geo Battle Coliseum
(AW) Metal Slug 6 (FK)
(JAMMA) Dragon Spirit
(JAMMA) Robocop
(JAMMA) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
(JAMMA) Primal Rage
(JAMMA) Guwange
(SEGA System 16B) Golden Axe (JP)
(CPS1) Ghouls 'n Ghosts (US)
(CPS1) Final Fight
(CPS1) Three Wonders
(CPS2) Alien vs Predator (US)
(CPS2) Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom (US)
(CPS2) Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow Over Mystara (US)
(CPS2) Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo (US)
(CPS2) Street Fighter Alpha 3 (US)
(CPS2) Darkstalkers: The Night Warriors (US)
(CPS2) Vampire Savior: The Lord of Vampire (US)
(CPS2) Vampire Savior 2: The Lord of Vampire (JP)
(CPS2) Vampire Hunter 2: Darkstalker's Revenge (JP)
(CPS2) Giga Wing (US)
(CPS2) Progear (JP)
(NAOMI) Marvel Vs. Capcom 2
(NAOMI) Capcom vs. SNK 2: Millionaire Fighting 2001
(NAOMI) Ikaruga

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Nice room Jaelus, those Qs are in great shape as well.

scgon

Benimaru's Hairdresser
10 Year Member
Well done! Looks great and thanks for posting it!!

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
amazinguw.jpg
[/QUOTE]

such a strange mix of emotions I get from this pic. can't tell if I'm happy or sad about it, any idea where this pic was taken (usa, jp?)

SuperPang

Cham Cham's Espresso,
The Netherlands. It's rklok's last shipment. Three of those are siting in my house :D

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Did you ever finish that Q25 overlay file you and EG were workin' on, Rep X?
Grave had the files and unfortunately his old computer crashed. Idk if he was able to recover the drives.