Burning Fight PROTO DISCOVERED!

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Hey all, I've found a Burning Fight MVS proto! You can see the thread regarding the discovery of the proto here:
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...ing-Fight-MVS-Bootleg-Nay-Proto!&goto=newpost
I've had poeple ask to buy it from me, but really didn't want this stashed away unplayed. So, with the help of Brian and Jeff, I've dumped the ROM, and will be adding it into MAME! I only played this briefly before sending it out to be dumped, but it looks pretty close to the production version. NTM previously found a copy with a different 3rd character, select screen, and stage 2 music. I wasn't able to find any of those differences in this version, but the meg count is slightly higher than the final release. Hopefully once it's uploaded, you'll all have a chance to try it, and we'll see if there are any differences!

Thank you to Blakfishy for selling me the cart!

A million thanks to NeoTurfMasta, who was kind enough to guide me through the process of having the game dumped and getting it into MAME!

Thanks goes out to SuperGun for informing me that this is in fact a proto.

Last but certainly not least, thanks a ton to JMKurtz! He handled physically dumping the ROMs.

Last edited:

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
A huge tip of the hat for putting in the work towards preserving this prototype and sharing it with everyone! And of course, many thanks to everyone involved in making this happen and offering mmsadda a hand. :)

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Great news, glad to hear another proto game revision found.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Agreed good job and best yet not handled like a lot of Nintendo stuff where its bragged, hoarded, baited, and sold to the highest paying person to peddle illegal copies of the game in a new package. This way anyone can experience a cool little piece of history and preserved online so it isnt lost.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
kind of a stupid question, but can anyone speculate as to why burning fight in particular had so many different builds? (i had a long theory typed out but more or less shot holes through my own idea before even posting it)

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
kind of a stupid question, but can anyone speculate as to why burning fight in particular had so many different builds? (i had a long theory typed out but more or less shot holes through my own idea before even posting it)

It seems that many prototypes turn up in the wild through completely random/freak circumstances.
Office moves, things thrown out or taken by employees, etc.

It's entirely possible that the reason we got multiple versions of Burning Fight is simply that these are one handful that accidentally made it out. They could have started out all together then sold off to shops or individuals without it being clear that this is what they were. All these years after, little by little, they're being identified and preserved. More prototypes may exist out there that haven't been noticed for what they are.

mmsadda

10 Year Member

It seems like a lot of protos of this one were close enough to the finished product to get operated. I bought this from another member, and I think he'd gotten it in a lot via Craigslist, likely through an operator.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
To everyone who posted here, you're welcome, and thank you for the kind words!

I've long felt that protos should be shared by the community, and find myself disgusted that some unreleased protos just sit on a shelf. These parts of history belong to the community. The more we can preserve this stuff and make it public, the better off we all are.

I'm actually sending the file to someone on the MAME team tonight, but don't know when it'll be up and running.

Raguy

New Challenger
Thank you for sharing rom for the community.:)
It exists several beta versions of neo geo.
One, i would like to play is Sengoku 2 because on magazines, we can see screenshots of this version where we can fight with bare hands.
And also a flying machine with skeleton skull on the second layer, that is shooting at us. ( second stage )

Hello

Crossed Swords Squire
Looking forward to giving this a go as ND is one of.a few that I never tried on any format. Thanks for sharing!!!

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
I see a new MAME came out today but it appears the ROM was not added, any reason it was missed?

Raz

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
It seems like a lot of protos of this one were close enough to the finished product to get operated. I bought this from another member, and I think he'd gotten it in a lot via Craigslist, likely through an operator.

Maybe it's me, but I'd thank the member, even if he wasn't aware of it being a prototype (unless he's not wanting recognition for selling it to you at normal cart price).

mmsadda

10 Year Member
I see a new MAME came out today but it appears the ROM was not added, any reason it was missed?

Raz
Hey Raz,

It took a few days for my contact with MAME to get back to me, and I just recently sent him the ROMs. I'd hope we'll see it in the next update. Sorry for the delay!

Maybe it's me, but I'd thank the member, even if he wasn't aware of it being a prototype (unless he's not wanting recognition for selling it to you at normal cart price).

Good call! I've amended my first post to thank Blakfishy, who sold me the cart