building a stick, need help with enclosure

Vidfreaky

New Challenger
I've decided to build my own stick using the Sanwa Denshi JLF-TP-8YT Joystick and OBSN-30 buttons. I'm hoping to make it close to the MASS joysticks that used to be sold.

Does anyone have any measurements and drawings for an enclosure that I could use? I'm pretty decent with the electronics but not so good with the woodworking. I've got a buddy who'll build one for me but he needs measurements.

Can anyone help me out with measurements and maybe an overlay?

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I've decided to build my own stick using the Sanwa Denshi JLF-TP-8YT Joystick and OBSN-30 buttons. I'm hoping to make it close to the MASS joysticks that used to be sold.

Does anyone have any measurements and drawings for an enclosure that I could use? I'm pretty decent with the electronics but not so good with the woodworking. I've got a buddy who'll build one for me but he needs measurements.

Can anyone help me out with measurements and maybe an overlay?

Wood panels and Sanwa are a lot of work. Even with scew in buttons you gonna have to route the underside out big time. Same deal with the stick.

Vidfreaky

New Challenger
So should I change to push in, or is it Sanwa that's the problem? Should I go with Seimitsu or Aftermark instead (the brands I've got local access to)?

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
I recently built a stick out of this:
http://www.amazon.com/Lipper-International-Bamboo-Tea-Storage/dp/B000MM79X2/

I used the same stick you're using, but used the OBSF push-in buttons. You basically have to drill a 30mm hole for the buttons, then route out spots for the tabs on the button to click into place.
It's a lot of work, but it looks nice.

xhqCad3l.jpg

If you want a metal enclosure, you can try something like this:
http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/1456PH3.pdf
http://www.newark.com/hammond/1456ph3bkbu/metal-enclosure/dp/98F1666

It's a large console-style project enclosure with a slanted top.
I recently got one to make my second stick, and it's pretty good.

It's a little smaller than a sheet of legal paper, so it's perfect for printing your own artwork.

Last edited:

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I recently built a stick out of this:
http://www.amazon.com/Lipper-International-Bamboo-Tea-Storage/dp/B000MM79X2/

I used the same stick you're using, but used the OBSF push-in buttons. You basically have to drill a 30mm hole for the buttons, then route out spots for the tabs on the button to click into place.
It's a lot of work, but it looks nice.

xhqCad3l.jpg

If you want a metal enclosure, you can try something like this:
http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/1456PH3.pdf
http://www.newark.com/hammond/1456ph3bkbu/metal-enclosure/dp/98F1666

It's a large console-style project enclosure with a slanted top.
I recently got one to make my second stick, and it's pretty good.

It's a little smaller than a sheet of legal paper, so it's perfect for printing your own artwork.

Exactly what I was trying to say. That came out pretty nice DNS.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
For ease of installation you might want to look at American style parts, as they are designed for wood panels. Or maybe to a Sanwa stick like DNDS did and just use IL Competition buttons, I like those a lot.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Exactly what I was trying to say. That came out pretty nice DNS.

Thanks. I'm thinking of cutting the bottom half down about an inch or so, because it's a little high off the table for my liking, but then I'd lose the awesome storage space inside it for all the RJ45 console cables.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member

That'd look great next to grandma's portrait...lol.

Edit: @OP, your best bet would be to buy a cheap stick like an old HRAP and mode it to your liking, there are also desktop enclosures but by the time you're done spending the money, mind as well get a cheap Tekken 5 anniversary stick and put the parts you want.

If you prefer the MAS stick made out of wood, you could get one of them SF anyversary sticks made by Nuby, they're not all that bad if you put some good stuff in it.

Some places can sell you a case ready to go for stick parts, just check online.

Last edited:

buaku

Hardened Shock Trooper
There enough room in that box to try and cram in some supergun parts?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
That's a good deal, that's well suited for US style parts, grab the IL brand, focus attack has all the good for a good price too. It says you can fit Japanese parts if you wanna, could be pretty cool, I prefer the US on a stick like that though, I dunno, it just seems right, I miss playing with sticks like that, gonna dig my anniversary sticks out.

Last edited:

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Yeah looks more or less like a MAS style box. I'd jump on that one unless you can actually find one of the old ass MASes.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Fuck them old ass MAS sticks with 8 buttons, I hated them from day one.

Funny enough, red octane used to build cases, they were pretty god too.

To be honest, that 55 bucks is a really good deal, I could never build and sell a nice wood stick case for 55, screw that! Although if I were to build a wood case it would most certainly be better than any of those generic cases.

SRK forum has a solid base of custom case builders if you're interested but prepare you wallet...

Vidfreaky

New Challenger
I think my wallet is well prepared through my first 2 weeks of MVS collecting. Lol

Vidfreaky

New Challenger
I've ordered Happ parts, but I'm still waiting for the guy with the enclosures to get back to me.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
If you wanted US style parts you should have gone IL. They used to make the sticks for Happ but they parted ways a few years back. IL Eurosticks are the way to go for a US style setup.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
+1 on the happ parts. I'm not an American stick parts user, but I've done some modding for my friends. They are old school sf players and the brand happ is stuck in their mind. See if it's not to late to cancel or change ur order

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
To be honest, that 55 bucks is a really good deal, I could never build and sell a nice wood stick case for 55, screw that! Although if I were to build a wood case it would most certainly be better than any of those generic cases.

SRK forum has a solid base of custom case builders if you're interested but prepare you wallet...

it is a good deal at $55. CNC cutters cut out so much of the cost for labor to make them. At least this guy is passing on the savings where others keep the price point the same just to widen their margin.