Brook PS3/PS4 USB to Neo Geo converter first impressions.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I originally posted this in This Thread, but decided to create a separate thread for it as I think people need to be aware of some stuff. Full video review in a few days.

I planned to save all my impressions for the video review, however I'll share a couple things with you guys.

No detectable lag. I'm not seeing any button lag whatsoever. Ultra responsive.

DB15 connector is deep so it fits in the home console correctly.

The instructions that Brook include with the converter are incorrect about how to remap buttons. Arcade Shock has an updated chart showing how to remap them correctly.

And this brings us to the BIG NEGATIVE - It does NOT retain custom button mappings at power off. The default button mappings mimic the NeoCD config with a PS3/4 controller. So if you have pretty much any stick you are going to have to remap the action buttons every time you power your Neo off and back on.

Change games? Remap the buttons.
Power goes out? Remap the buttons.

I think this is FUCKING stupid. Especially for a $45 converter that was designed for the Neo. Ohhh and you can do macro mappings too. Press one button and triggers a sequence of button presses. It doesn't save that either.

I've sent off an email to Arcade Shock asking if this is expected behavior.

It's been a while since I have written a negative video review on something (hi Pandora's Box 3!), but if Arcade Shock responds that this is correct, then that's exactly how that video is going to go down.

What do you guys think?

Ohhh and there is a little red LED on top the Brook adapter. Every button or joystick press makes it light up. ARGGGHHH After about 30 seconds into a game I want to just turn the system off...and lose the button mappings...

Edit:
My video review:

Last edited:

trenton_net

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I'd be interested to know if this device is compatible with Brook's universal fighting board. The reason being, even when forcing the board to PS3/360 mode, the Undamned USB decoder doesn't seem to like it very much. Buttons work at the beginning, but then the UD-USB decoder starts loosing connection and buttons respond sporadically until it does nothing at all. I tried on two UD-USB devices and both behave the same. With a real PS3 joystick, it works fine though.

Maybe because these devices are made by the same company, they'll work together better?

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
In case people don't know WTF I am talking about:

https://arcadeshock.com/collections...s4-ps3-to-neo-geo-super-converter-usb-to-db15

1701066382.jpg

It allows you to use PS3 and PS4 USB sticks and controllers on the Neo Geo. Support Bluetooth controllers as well.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
The biggest red flag for this, and the whole reason I avoided it to begin with was this statement right here "...response is instantaneous with no signs of lag whatsover. In fact, it seems it's more responsive than the original NEOè†￾EO controllers themselves". How can something with logic, thats converting input from a proprietary standard be faster then literal switches? That doesnt make sense to me, and is physically impossible. Maybe what they meant to say was the buttons on [insert stick name] combined with the processing time of their converter felt more responsive then using the stock buttons on a neo geo controller. Then it makes you wonder what controller are they referring to? AES Sticks, the jellybean stick, or the NeoCD pad?

Regardless, I thought it was a poor choice of words to potentially deceive people into thinking somehow using this was going to give them an advantage.

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Received a response from Arcade Shock and unfortunately I am correct. The converter does not remember button mappings.

:angry:

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Received a response from Arcade Shock and unfortunately I am correct. The converter does not remember button mappings.

:angry:

That is pretty fookin stupid... looks like they didn't think this one through very well...

xROTx

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
Disappointing to hear, you can already see in the impressions how this design choice starts amounting to a big inconvenience rather quickly. Was mapping memory completely out of reach for the price range of this device?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I wouldn't think so considering my $15 FGW converter can do it.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I don't know wtf they were thinking.

Total disappointment.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
They could let you change the default assignment with a future firmware update. Maybe if enough people complain, they will do that.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
They could let you change the default assignment with a future firmware update. Maybe if enough people complain, they will do that.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing.

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
So if you plug in a PS3 stick what do the controls default to?
I was thinking that A, B, C, D would default to P1, P2, P3, P4 (the top 4 punch buttons on an 8 button stick).
This is not the case?

Not remembering mapoings is crap, especially at this price.

Also, I think I read that it supports wireless eg. a PS3 wireless controller. Am I making this up?

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
So if you plug in a PS3 stick what do the controls default to?
I was thinking that A, B, C, D would default to P1, P2, P3, P4 (the top 4 punch buttons on an 8 button stick).
This is not the case?

Not remembering mapoings is crap, especially at this price.

Also, I think I read that it supports wireless eg. a PS3 wireless controller. Am I making this up?

It defaults to X is A. O is B. Square is C and Triangle is D.

On a regular PS3/4 pad this mimics the NeoCD layout.

On a fight stick that means the first two lower buttons are A and B and the first two upper buttons are C and D. Again mimicking the NeoCD layout. i.e. a layout no one with a fight stick will use. Ever.

And yes it supports Sony PS3 and 4 Bluetooth controllers. I haven't been able to get it to connect to other brand bluetooth controllers yet. Might not be possible.

Dahun72

NEST Puppet

On a fight stick that means the first two lower buttons are A and B and the first two upper buttons are C and D. Again mimicking the NeoCD layout. i.e. a layout no one with a fight stick will use. Ever.

And yes it supports Sony PS3 and 4 Bluetooth controllers. I haven't been able to get it to connect to other brand bluetooth controllers yet. Might not be possible.

Wow, that is so shit. How could Brooks do this? It's about the fighting game experience and this makes no sense. Thanks again for the info. I almost pre-ordered 2 of them half a dozen times.

benjiedude

Quiz Detective
Wow, that is so shit. How could Brooks do this? It's about the fighting game experience and this makes no sense. Thanks again for the info. I almost pre-ordered 2 of them half a dozen times.

I actually did pre order 2 of them. I have had a hard time remapping the buttons at all on both converters. Been going back and forth with Arcade Shock and Brooke via email trying to get the remapping to work. To hear this shit now makes me pissed. Over $90 only to have to remap buttons (which I still have not been able to do once successfully) for every time I switch games or power up? Great idea with awful follow through.

Yodd, can you please do a tutorial on the actual button mapping process as part of your review? I cannot for the life of me get that shit to work and both Arcade Shock and Brooke's attempts at helping me have been unsuccessful.

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I actually did pre order 2 of them. I have had a hard time remapping the buttons at all on both converters. Been going back and forth with Arcade Shock and Brooke via email trying to get the remapping to work. To hear this shit now makes me pissed. Over $90 only to have to remap buttons (which I still have not been able to do once successfully) for every time I switch games or power up? Great idea with awful follow through.

Yodd, can you please do a tutorial on the actual button mapping process as part of your review? I cannot for the life of me get that shit to work and both Arcade Shock and Brooke's attempts at helping me have been unsuccessful.

Yep, that will be in the video.

Here is a quick summary how to do it: press PS button plus Start button to enter programming mode. Press the new button to be programmed. Hold down select and press the existing programmed button. Press start to finilaze the remap and press PS button to exit programming.

And yeah, their instructions on this is shit. The ones included with the Brook adapter are incorrect on the process and tell you the wrong order in which to transfer the button mapping.

trenton_net

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Wow, talk about confusing! They could have made it: Enter remap mode, push the four buttons you want ABCD to map to in order, then save.

aku

Loyal Neo-Disciple

default setting seems perfect..at least for one person on this planet...:keke:

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I pre-ordered one of these and it arrived a couple of days ago. I have yet to test mine out on a stick but it worked fine wth my Dual Shock 4 controller. I also tested it out with a wireless madcatz ps3 street fighter IV fight-pad but it worked intermittently and had loads of input lag for those that are interested (the pad with the wireless dongle).

But as Yodd said it is madness that button remaps don't save and this is really annoying me as the reason I bought mine was to use it with a PS4 HORI RAP 4 Kai with my CMVS (once I pick one up). I am in the market for a new stick to cover most of my main systems and didn't want to spend lots on mods and custom sticks so this adapter with a cheap RAP 4 KAI would have ticked all of the boxes for me. I will be complaining to Brook/Arcade Shock about this as I imported mine to the UK...so I can't really return it without paying a lot for shipping back to the US.

The build quality is solid and the response times are excellent but another annoying thing is that the Neo Geo plug is attached upside down on mine and in the stock image above, so basically when plugged into my console the brook adapter is upside down - WTF!

I hope as mentioned the firmware can be updated to set the default button config to a classic Neo stick layout.

IMG_5312.JPG

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I'm using a Hori Rap 4 Kai on mine as well. And yeah, the button remaps not saving is complete horseshit. That sucks about the Madcatz fightpad having issues.

I am finishing up my video review and will have it posted at about 8am tomorrow morning.

I plan to email Arcade Shock a link my video to get their feedback as I am sure it was upset people.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
If you say Trieu... five times in a mirror...

Will the keys stay mapped?

xROTx

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I have filed a support ticket on the Brook website, not much can be done about my upside down plug but hopefully they can issue a firmware update to map the default buttons to a fight stick format rather than a pad. If I get any useful news back from Brook I will share it here.

Yodd is your Neo plug the correct way up?

Thanks

L

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
I have filed a support ticket on the Brook website, not much can be done about my upside down plug but hopefully they can issue a firmware update to map the default buttons to a fight stick format rather than a pad. If I get any useful news back from Brook I will share it here.

Yodd is your Neo plug the correct way up?

Thanks

L

Are there any screws on the back of the device? Or is it press fit together? More than likely you can just pop it open, straighten the cable and close it.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
There are screws on the bottom and mine is mostly on right side up.