BOTM February: Mad Stalker - Full Metal Force

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Mad Stalker: Full Metal Force (マッドストーカー フルメタルフォース) is a Japanese beat 'em up video game originally produced by Fill-in-Cafe and published and distributed by FamilySoft for the Sharp X68000 (and later on, the FM Towns/PC Engine/Playstation).

Like Kung-Fu Master by Irem, it is played in a single plane field, but only scrolling toward the right. The game's controls use the configuration of an eight-directional joystick and two attack buttons. The player uses the joystick to jump, crouch and move the character towards or away from the enemies. There are two buttons of differing strength and speed (Light and Heavy). The player can perform a variety of basic moves in any position, including grabbing/throwing attacks, while the player can perform special moves by inputting a combination of directional and button-based commands (more on these later). (from the wiki)

Version Note: The X68000 version doesn't seem to have the additional characters available that the others do, and so will be a separate scoring table. The PC Engine version is a port of (and should be identical to aside from the cut scenes) the FM Towns version. The Playstation version has (surprisingly) less information available than the others, so I am unsure how similar/different it is to the previous editions and will be on it's own table for now. If it turns out that it fits in with the FMT/PCE ports, then I'll merge the scores accordingly.

Default rules, Normal Difficulty/1 Credit (no continues)

The usual score notation conventions apply: Name - Score - Stage - Character (if applicable) - Platform

X68000
6w1D2245qEcQq17vkwN9tjTfXFz5h.png
Code:
1. Beelzebub - 688,903 - Stage 4 - Hound Dog

Fm Towns/PC Engine
6w1Dliy8TLkYD1mDSXCPQFjpyXOgC.jpg
6w1DlFygdLDDDZM2kwH0vGpy2BUR4.jpg

Code:
1. whisper2053 - 68,600 - Stage 1 - Kamui - PC Engine

Playstation/JP PSN
To unlock all characters in Story Mode: At the title screen press Up, Down, Left, Right, X, Circle
6w1DoTzVKdvuM40gvS3OMKrajLzrV.jpg

Code:
1. andsuchisdeath - 1,799,601 - ALL - Hound Dog
2. Beelzebub - 1,715,571 - Stage 6 - Hound Dog

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Nice, man! And so the bar is set :P

Thanks, but I'm pretty sure the psx version is the rompy one.

Am I correct in saying that the other versions lack the "overdrive" super bar?

I'm certainly not at the point where I've been able to gauge the best way to combo/score, but I can say that it's almost too easy spamming supers with the playstation version.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've never heard of this game and it looks rad. I hope ASID doesn't have a PCE.

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Thanks, but I'm pretty sure the psx version is the rompy one.

Am I correct in saying that the other versions lack the "overdrive" super bar?

I'm certainly not at the point where I've been able to gauge the best way to combo/score, but I can say that it's almost too easy spamming supers with the playstation version.

Yes, there is definitely no Overdrive in the previous versions. I also noted that the PS1 edition has an actual combo system in place (with scoring system to match). I am assuming that for scoring purposes, a lot of your meat & potatoes is going to come from that, then?

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I am assuming that for scoring purposes, a lot of your meat & potatoes is going to come from that, then?

Right. I'm just not sure to what degree. It might be as simple as number of hits. If you can group three enemies together and juggle three overdrives that turns into something like a 35 hit combo. Of course, you can expand upon this, and combo into the supers and combo off of the supers, but I'm not exactly sure how all of the juggle properties work, and I'm not sure if certain moves yield more points. It could be as simple as more hits in combo = more points.

I don't know though. I'd like to try the other versions, but I'm not very sophisticated when it comes to emulation.
I also have a Duo-R, but no arcade card.

I will say, it seems as if throws are the key crowd control move for all of the versions (based on the little I know).

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
I don't know though. I'd like to try the other versions, but I'm not very sophisticated when it comes to emulation.
I also have a Duo-R, but no arcade card.

Was really wanting to give this a try on my PCE+CDROM2+IFU combo, so I ordered an arcade card. Yet I was too hasty and noobish when it comes to PCE stuff, and ended up buying an Arcade Card Duo. I'm not planning on getting a Duo anytime soon, so I don't need it. So once I receive it, if you or anyone else who owns a Duo and doesn't have one wants it, I'll give it to them for cheap. Just throwing it out there...

Since Arcade Card Pros are just too expensive, especially for the amount of games that require it. I guess I'll just be playing this one on my PSOne.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Just keep an eye out Beelzebub, the arcade cards can be had for reasonable money, just not every day. When I moved from a Duo to a briefcase I overpaid slightly, but sold my old Duo card and basically just paid $15 extra for the Pro.

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
Yeah I'll definitely still be keeping an eye out, I just don't think that I'll find a decently priced one before the BOTM is over. The cheapest on ebay currently is $45 more than I paid for the Arcade Card Duo I just picked up. I'll snag one eventually I guess, but for now the PSOne will have to suffice for this game.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I would imagine all of those rabid Mad Stalker fans that have voted are slaving away on their hi-scores.

:):):):):):):)

I hope so.

Oh dear, I hope the future had not been altered in vain :(

Last edited:

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
I would imagine all of those rabid Mad Stalker fans that have voted are slaving away on their hi-scores.

:):):):):):):)

I hope so.

Oh dear, I hope the future had not been altered in vain :(

Ha!

We shall see. I'm nowhere near you, but I should at least have a score to put up today.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've got the disc sitting on top of the pvm, just haven't got around to playing it...

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
Yeah I'll definitely still be keeping an eye out, I just don't think that I'll find a decently priced one before the BOTM is over. The cheapest on ebay currently is $45 more than I paid for the Arcade Card Duo I just picked up. I'll snag one eventually I guess, but for now the PSOne will have to suffice for this game.

Try getting in touch with cdamm, I got mine from him for less than that

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Alright, for any that have the PCE version...how the hell do you get out of the corner on the first boss when he starts touch-tapping you into oblivion? It seems like if I get caught in there, it's pretty much over as he just stands there touching me to death and there's nothing I can do about it :(

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Still having trouble getting past the guy, but at least I have a score. I did find that a crouching hard attack will (usually) stop his slide attack and give me some breathing room, so I came a single life block away from defeating him this time. Getting better.

6wfXcRWeGfLIp8qGxmyiByA5C3pmI.jpg

whisper2053 - 68,600 - Stage 1 - Kamui - PC Engine

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Are you surprised?

I guess that's what happens when a game that receives the majority vote comes from historically non-particpating voters.

Everyone who voted for this game went "ohh X68K/PC-E is cool *click* *click* *click*"