Boosting RGB from the AES

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
So I ran some tests on a 1st gen AES, RGB output was rather dim. Did the normal cap and resistor swap which only fixed curling at the top.

After studying the circuit, I decided to alter the voltage divider to try and increase the output of the RGB. I swapped out the 2.2k resistors(confirmed they were still within spec) and replaced them with a higher resistance to increase the voltage output.

I did some calculations comparing to an MV1Cs output and average was 0.853v Vpp, so to make the 1st gen output the same level I swapped out the 2.2k with 2.8k resistors.

RGB is now gorgeous and is the same brightness from a 3-6 board revision.

I'll add some pics later. This should help on the 1st gen and 3-3 revisions.

Edit: Here's the video on my instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCbNPcppYs6/?taken-by=jamma_nation_x

Here's the before and after, BVM settings are on default for brightness. I used 2.8k, if it's too bright for your liking I suggest using 2.7k. Pic might look overly bright but that's the damn iPhone trying to balance the white level. If you have an MV1C via RGB, it's about that level.

rgb-boost-comp.jpg

Last edited:

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Are you collectively putting this specific type of info up at JNX.com?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I will later in the week. There's a video on my Instagram.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Interesting, will be curious to see.
I did the cap swap on a 1st gen AES not too long ago and it drastically helped with the dim image issue. I suppose i'm just happy with it but look forward to the info.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Did you steal that PVM from a wrestling show?! lol, those are awesome, ebinsagwa brought one to a meetup, they're pretty cool, but don't tell him I told you so...lol.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Did you steal that PVM from a wrestling show?! lol, those are awesome, ebinsagwa brought one to a meetup, they're pretty cool, but don't tell him I told you so...lol.

I got it from city41 on these forums, he hooked me up and I was so happy to finally have one. My 2530 is way too big for a work room.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
this is my console, i can attest that the video is amazing on it now. looks just as good as my CMVS.
thanks again dude!!!

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
Good job brother! Damn that looks REAL nice James!

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Great work brotha, I gotta try this!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The RGB bypass will achieve the same results except this method also helps with composite and svideo from the onboard CXA encoder. That's why I prefer it this way.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Interesting, will be curious to see.
I did the cap swap on a 1st gen AES not too long ago and it drastically helped with the dim image issue. I suppose i'm just happy with it but look forward to the info.

I had mine done by a local modder and i thought it looked good. Better than it was before the cap swap. But this seems like it will put our AES up to par with the best AES.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
The RGB bypass will achieve the same results except this method also helps with composite and svideo from the onboard CXA encoder. That's why I prefer it this way.

Will it put composite on a par with later revisions? Dot crawl is really bad on 1st gen units.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Good job! Very interesting! I've not noticed my early rev giving a dark output, but I am connecting to a modern LCD - I suspect my TV compensates because every crappy signal I feed it with looks perfect, whereas on other TV's not so much... Might do this mod to mine at some point. Thanks for sharing =D

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Will it put composite on a par with later revisions? Dot crawl is really bad on 1st gen units.

Yes, when paired with the normal AV cap/resistor swap it makes a big difference.

Good job! Very interesting! I've not noticed my early rev giving a dark output, but I am connecting to a modern LCD - I suspect my TV compensates because every crappy signal I feed it with looks perfect, whereas on other TV's not so much... Might do this mod to mine at some point. Thanks for sharing =D

From what Jeff Kurtz told me, there were a few different versions of the 1st gen. Which kinda makes sense as whenever I was repairing/modding 1st gens, it was never consistent. Some were dim while others looked great and some in-between.

Redguard

New Challenger
So I ran some tests on a 1st gen AES, RGB output was rather dim. Did the normal cap and resistor swap which only fixed curling at the top.

After studying the circuit, I decided to alter the voltage divider to try and increase the output of the RGB. I swapped out the 2.2k resistors(confirmed they were still within spec) and replaced them with a higher resistance to increase the voltage output.

I did some calculations comparing to an MV1Cs output and average was 0.853v Vpp, so to make the 1st gen output the same level I swapped out the 2.2k with 2.8k resistors.

RGB is now gorgeous and is the same brightness from a 3-6 board revision.

I'll add some pics later. This should help on the 1st gen and 3-3 revisions.

Edit: Here's the video on my instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCbNPcppYs6/?taken-by=jamma_nation_x

Here's the before and after, BVM settings are on default for brightness. I used 2.8k, if it's too bright for your liking I suggest using 2.7k. Pic might look overly bright but that's the damn iPhone trying to balance the white level. If you have an MV1C via RGB, it's about that level.

View attachment 25167

I spent years agonizing over how to fix my very dim 1st gen AES. Thank goodness I stumbled upon this thread and finally got it fixed. You are a true asset to the community.