Blazing Star - 1998 Developer Interview (In English)

Bar81

Note to self, Place interesting, Custom rank here.
20 Year Member
Very cool. Explains the Pulstar Blast name as well as some interesting stage art design choices.

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
That was a pretty cool read thanks for sharing that with us.

Voultar

I give zero fucks about my customers
Fantastic read.

I always love reading about the "inside story" from the programming and developer's prospective.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Fantastic read.

I always love reading about the "inside story" from the programming and developer's prospective.

Agreed - definitely wish we could see a lot more of these articles. I personally would find development backstory interviews with other shmup developers like Konami (Gradius), Tecnosoft (Thunder Force), and Hudson (Lords of Thunder) fascinating.

In this case, it's a pity that the Neo CD version with extra ending materials never happened. But if it had, I probably would still be CDZ exclusive rather than CDZ + CMVS. Blazing Star was the main Neo Geo game I wanted that wasn't on CD.

blackoak

n00b
thanks guys! blackoak from shmuplations here, glad you all liked the Blazing Star interview. It may have been a neo-geo member that voted on those, not sure. I do have a big backlog of stuff, with more neogeo things (and more to add, as I only recently discovered the existence of Neo Geo Freak magazine--have all the interviews in there ever been translated, btw?) You can check out my backlog that patreon supporters can vote on each month here: http://shmuplations.com/patreonlist

just wrapping up a little promotional thing at hg101 actually, where the users of that forum got to vote on interviews they wanted me translate for this month (a patreon taste-test if you will, and thank you to that community). vgmdb is up next month, but I'm planning to do the same for neogeo in a few months hence. ;)

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
will have to check this out since blazing star is my favorite shooter. I thought they did a great job with the game

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
YUMEKOBO said:
There wasn’t anything in particular that we tried to carry over from Pulstar, but we were careful to not make Blazing Star too difficult. The director of Pulstar told us “this time, let’s make an easy STG with a charge shot, that anyone can clear.”

Best line ever.

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
YUMEKOBO said:
Even now there’s some flicker in places. I’m sorry if it looks bad.

Japanese people are always so polite and perfectionists. I find this a really interesting quality in Japanese people.

Bar81

Note to self, Place interesting, Custom rank here.
20 Year Member
favorite on the neo but one of my top 10 favorites of all time.

Fair enough if you like it that much; it's just not by any stretch the best shooter across all platforms.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Fair enough if you like it that much; it's just not by any stretch the best shooter across all platforms.
which would you say are the top 10 shooters across all platforms, then?