Best Version of Bust-A-Move / Puzzle Bobble

Yoshi

20 Year Member
Out of the several versions of Bust-A-Move / Puzzle Bobble across the Neo, F3, and G-NET platforms, which is the best? I remember reading somewhere that it's a kin to SamSho and Super Sidekicks where newer doesn't mean better.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
The neo-geo ones are the best. Bust a Move 3 and on are terrible games.

sparksterz

Camel Slug
My favorite is probably 2X on the F3 hardware. As shadowkn said, idk what the heck happened after that point.

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
I really enjoy Bust-A-Move Again on my NG. The later versions that added too many twists on the vs. game play are not my cup of tea

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
4 is awesome vs mode with the combo system.

all the others are quarter munchers

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I like the first one the best, I remember some of the backgrounds on BAMA getting annoying. I had all the carts when I had an F3 and they never got much play for whatever reason. It's a simple game with a simple concept, KISS.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
I like the first one the best, I remember some of the backgrounds on BAMA getting annoying. I had all the carts when I had an F3 and they never got much play for whatever reason. It's a simple game with a simple concept, KISS.

Some of the backgrounds in BAMA do blend in with the bubbles at times. For vs play, I prefer the first game. For practice, I like BAMA since there is a computer vs mode. Crank it up to level 8.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
For vs play, I prefer the first game. For practice, I like BAMA since there is a computer vs mode. Crank it up to level 8.
I agree with this.

But I wonder: Are there differences between the F3 release (1995) of BAMA and the Neo Geo release (1999)? To me it sometimes seems like the game (visible mainly in the bubble animations and shot speed) runs slightly too fast for less than a second, anyone else have that? Is the Neo release a port? Why did it take 4 years to bring the sequel to the Neo? Why was it done at all? Why were the changes made for the home console ports (1996-98) not included with the Neo release (we can all be thankful for that, but still)? So many questions...

//EDIT: Ok, I should've keept reading, here's why it took 4 years:
SNK & Taito got into a HUGE argument & battle over this little gem of a game [Puzzle Bobble] & the rights of distribution over it. They had a huge falling out, and as a result the Taito Cybercore (aka F-3) system was born. It was the platform used for its sequel, and the reason for the huge gap from 1995 to 1999 regarding the sequel finally getting its version on the neogeo console. Things had finally simmered down.

Last edited:

Undefined

Pope Sazae's fake account
It's not one of the arcade ones but I thought the WiiWare game Bust-A-Move Plus! was really good and if you get the DLC there are a shit load of levels to play. Plus the d-pad on the Wii Remote works perfectly for the aiming on the game.

Esper Wizard

New Challenger
I have the first version on the Neo Geo and the second one on the Saturn. I bought the Saturn version way before the Neo Geo one. Now I only play the Neo Geo version because it's more simple and it has much faster loading times.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Yes and Bust -A-Move Again on Cybercore & Neogeo are very different. The attract music for example is completely missing from the NEO version. I have never understood that & have always been annoyed by it. I always enjoyed hearing it at a local arcade back in the 90's that was close to where I lived. Some backgrounds are different too. I would say that arguably the neo BAM2 is a version of the Cybercore BAM2 rather then a port. But they do have differences & they are 4 years apart.

Just look at those large sprites and animation of the character in the neo's intro and watch in silence and tell me that doesn't feel weird? Something was altered or removed, etc. Same deal with the intro for Strikers 1945 Plus. Really nice visually to look at, but dead silent. WTF?

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
-1. That's the very reason why I dislike 4. It gives noobs a fighting chance. I didn't practice bank shots for years just to see defeat because of a chain reaction.

Not noobs just people who plan thier attack not unlike Puzzle Fighter :mr_t:

yea don't play Quan in any bobble games hes beast

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
I love the original and consider it to be the best. It's the game that really got me to recognize "Neo-Geo" as a thing when I was a kid, and is one of the few arcade games I can actually beat with one credit.

The second is good, but I find the backgrounds distracting and usually just stick with the original.

The neo-geo ones are the best. Bust a Move 3 and on are terrible games.

I won't call them terrible, but I also don't like any of the game past 2. I have tried pretty much every port and continue to play new versions as they come out. They always leave something to be desired. The original is so perfectly polished that it can't be outdone.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I'd have to say puzzle Bobble 2 for MVS.

o.pwuaioc

Crossed Swords Squire
I won't call them terrible, but I also don't like any of the game past 2. I have tried pretty much every port and continue to play new versions as they come out. They always leave something to be desired.

I'm with ya here. I went on a binge and grabbed them all, but the only ones I kept were 1, 2, and Pocket.

chemdream

n00b
Bust a move 2 for neo geo or n64 is my favorite. The music is stuck in my head for hours after playing!

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I really like the Azumanga Daioh one for the Naomi, if for no other reason than I adore that anime and find an Azumanga themed Puzzle Bobble to be a lot of fun to pick up and play.

The G-NET version... it looks too over produced with all the 3D graphics.

But I will agree that I'm most partial to Bust-A-Movie Again and 2X. (But I do like 4 also.)

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Puzzle Bubble 2 for me follow by puzzle de pon.I use to have puzzle bobble but after playing the sequel i sold it shortly there after.The original,just didn't entertain me enough compared to the sequel.

Jarofmayo

Morden's Lackey
Bust a Move 99 on the Ps1 was pretty fun. Had a pretty soundtrack if anything.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
2X, those 2001 backdrops are just too cool.