BEST TV Shows to watch... CURRENTLY...

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
It immediately reminded me of the horrible speech at the beginning of Wonder Woman 1984 after the stupid Ninja Warrior obstacle course scene. Total nonsense.
overall, it's meh. worse than house of the dragon, imo. too many decisions made by the characters that don't make sense to me. galadriel isn't unlikable like i've heard people say...but they didn't spend enough time developing her backstory and motivation to make me care about her brother dying and why she's on her mission to find sauron. all we got is that stupid paper boat scene. dumb AF.

edit: almost done with the 3rd episode...i care nothing for any of these characters. the story and character development is so shallow.

Last edited:

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member

Cyberpunk anime on Netflix.
Watched the first three episodes, it's OK
It's got near perfect ratings though.
I find it slightly gratuitous and catering to young adults.
I'm sure I'll watch it all and enjoy it.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Dark- A friend recommended this to me as "A German Twin Peaks", which it is not. It's more like Lost meets Looper with a side of Stranger Things. It's essentially a murder mystery that quickly evolves into a very messy time travel/supernatural/occult mish-mash. It starts off pretty solid but quickly becomes far more ambitious than it's capable of pulling off as well as it thinks it does. Still it's fairly original and I have to give them credit for attempting the scope it does even if it doesn't always work. It attempts to tackle all the usual time travel paradoxes that we've seen in stuff like Looper, Primer and Time Crimes with mixed results. Recommended but don't be surprised if you start to lose interest as it becomes extremely convoluted.

Reactions: jro

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
The video game gags on Rick and Morty last night were pretty funny.

Morty gets a hyper realistic space video game console and one of the games shown just has Cloud from FFVII struggling mightily to lift his goofy ass giant sword.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Dark- A friend recommended this to me as "A German Twin Peaks", which it is not. It's more like Lost meets Looper with a side of Stranger Things. It's essentially a murder mystery that quickly evolves into a very messy time travel/supernatural/occult mish-mash. It starts off pretty solid but quickly becomes far more ambitious than it's capable of pulling off as well as it thinks it does. Still it's fairly original and I have to give them credit for attempting the scope it does even if it doesn't always work. It attempts to tackle all the usual time travel paradoxes that we've seen in stuff like Looper, Primer and Time Crimes with mixed results. Recommended but don't be surprised if you start to lose interest as it becomes extremely convoluted.
I watched the first season a few years back, around the time it came out. I was enjoying it well enough until the final episode of that first season, where suddenly they popped into the future and it was like Mad Max or whatever. Or that movie Merc liked, Megaforce. Going into the past was fine, and the obvious time loop bullshit of the kid being his own grandfather or whatever I could put up with, because the atmosphere was pretty good and whatnot. But popping into that future killed my interest dead instantly. It was laugh out loud dumb. I never found out what happened after that or how many seasons it ran. Definitely not Twin Peaks, except I guess in that a kid is lost and the town kind of falls apart over it. We might have stuck with it anyway except I can't read Japanese subtitles fast enough to keep up, the wife can only barely read English subtitles fast enough, and we both refuse to watch it dubbed.

Great opening credits and theme song, though. I do remember that.

I kind of felt like that Brolin series Outer Range kind of ripped off Dark a little bit. And it's funny, because when Brolin got pushed into the hole and popped out in that Dark-like future, that instantly killed my interest in Outer Range, too.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Did you finish Outer Ranges? It gets a bit weirder towards the end with some reveals, but with how out there the story is I think I could handle 2-3 seasons of it at best. There are almost too many things going on (though all related.)

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I watched the first season a few years back, around the time it came out. I was enjoying it well enough until the final episode of that first season, where suddenly they popped into the future and it was like Mad Max or whatever.
Oh it gets far more stupid then that. I'm halfway through season 2 and there are 5 different main time lines at this point, it's a mess. Like I said I think it's closer to Lost than anything else, anytime a question gets answered it just raises 10 more. Though this doesn't feel like they're just making it up as it goes. Half the reason I keep watching is just to see how much more ridiculous it can possibly get before it completely falls apart. It's up to 3 seasons now so I have a feeling it has yet to reach it's apex of dumb.

Intellectually I'd put it on the same level as The Matrix. A neat basic premise that completely falls apart with even the slightest scrutiny, that the creators think is far more clever and impressive than it really is so they try to elaborate on it past any reasonable point.

Great soundtrack and some nice cinematography though.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Did you finish Outer Ranges? It gets a bit weirder towards the end with some reveals, but with how out there the story is I think I could handle 2-3 seasons of it at best. There are almost too many things going on (though all related.)
No, like I said, I burned out on it maybe 3/4 through the first season. I like Brolin, but his character is kind of dumb. Even after things started reappearing, he kept throwing stuff into the hole to get rid of it like he thought it was a permanent solution. Then he went to the future and I said, ah okay, fuck this. And his two sons were such badly-written cliches, I was fighting myself not to fast forward any time they came on screen, which is no way to watch a series. I don't know which one I hated more, the rodeo son or the missing wife son. Both seemed utterly predictable, and as the episodes went by, their stories both progressed exactly like I expected, which is boring to watch. I think the only character who never annoyed me was Brolin's wife, and she's barely in it. I just lost interest.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
No, like I said, I burned out on it maybe 3/4 through the first season. I like Brolin, but his character is kind of dumb. Even after things started reappearing, he kept throwing stuff into the hole to get rid of it like he thought it was a permanent solution. Then he went to the future and I said, ah okay, fuck this. And his two sons were such badly-written cliches, I was fighting myself not to fast forward any time they came on screen, which is no way to watch a series. I don't know which one I hated more, the rodeo son or the missing wife son. Both seemed utterly predictable, and as the episodes went by, their stories both progressed exactly like I expected, which is boring to watch. I think the only character who never annoyed me was Brolin's wife, and she's barely in it. I just lost interest.

Did you watch Night Sky on Amazon?

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
The quality is questionable but I'm watching She-Hulk because... Well...
DareDevil.
Its actually not super bad, better than I expected but honestly, I had a pretty low bar going in.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Did you watch Night Sky on Amazon?
Yeah, and I liked it. But when they announced it was cancelled and there'd be no season 2, my reaction was

42dddp.jpg

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Amazon is starting to be quicker on the draw in canceling shows just after one season it seems. Paper Girls was canceled after 1 season as well. I guess I should be thankful that Tick lasted for two.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member

New Hellraiser coming from Hulu and it looks surprisingly good, it looks like they are incorporating a lot of the mythology from the sequels. I have zero problem with a female Pinhead. Not gonna get my hopes up too high though.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Amazon is starting to be quicker on the draw in canceling shows just after one season it seems. Paper Girls was canceled after 1 season as well. I guess I should be thankful that Tick lasted for two.
I wish they'd done a season 2 of Utopia, but that series was doomed by the worst possible timing in human history.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Welcome to Wrexham - really good. Unique premise (Rob McIlhenny and Ryan Reynolds buy the third-oldest soccer team in the world and then try to get it promoted), good smaller-scale stories, and both Rob and Ryan are pretty entertaining throughout.

The Patient - also quite good. It's a bit out there but Carrell and Gleason are both so good that they pull it off.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
I wish they'd done a season 2 of Utopia, but that series was doomed by the worst possible timing in human history.
They have season 1&2 of the original on Amazon right now, want to watch it.

Umbrella Academy season 3, lame I don't even know what happened the whole season.
Vanya got a haircut now wants to be called Victor, that's about it.

Tonight : Andor
Coming Soon: Quantum Leap

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Okay going to have to tap out on Dark. Inter dimensional-time traveling-incest baby is my limit.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member

New Hellraiser coming from Hulu and it looks surprisingly good, it looks like they are incorporating a lot of the mythology from the sequels. I have zero problem with a female Pinhead. Not gonna get my hopes up too high though.
Too late for me now, hopes sky high, looks great.