BEST TV Shows to watch... CURRENTLY...

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
It was good but I feel pretty sad that I will never feel that same excitement as I had watching the first two or three seasons. That lightning in a bottle energy has long since gone.
My issue was that I didnt remember anything about the last season. They referenced shit that happened several seasons ago, and pretty much acted like last season didnt exist. While I think that's a good thing, it just made this episode not make any real sense. I'll eventually have to go back and rewatch the first few seasons.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Glitch- This is basically an Australian version of Lost in many ways. It's still very much it's own thing but requires the same level of suspension of disbelief and is purposefully vague in that way where it's trying to trick you into thinking it's deeper than it is when it clear that the writers don't really seem to know where is ultimately going to end up.

It's about a group of people in rural Australia that inexplicably return from the dead. Climbing out of their graves with no memory of who they were. It's a diverse group that span 200 years of Aussie history. They slowly regain their memories and identities as they try to figure how and why they have been brought back. There are heavy sci-fi and religious messages but like I said they never really explain anything to a satisfactory degree, everything is overly convenient and all of the characters make horrible decisions as often as possible.

The acting is strong, cast is good and the characters and their personal mysteries are interesting and it's well paced, they seem to have really put quite a bit of effort and money into it. I had read that the first 2 seasons are great but to avoid season 3 at all costs. I of course did not listen and it was maybe about 15 minutes into the third season where they managed to completely ruin the entire series. It was honestly impressive that they could manage to do that so effortlessly.

Anyways it's worth a watch, the seasons are short and it's easy to binge. Just absolutely do not watch any of the third season.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
She Hulk is pretty funny. Wong having a hot mess drunk chick sidekick spoiling TV shows for him is not something I knew I wanted to see.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I want to see She Hulk because I think Tatiana Maslany is great. Oh well. Maybe when Mando S3 is out.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
LOTR: Rings of Power- Not great. I don't care how much money they spent and how much detail went into the sets and CG, none of that matters when it's all super quick overhead landscape shots, close ups of faces and pitch black night time scenes. Bad writing right from the start, the opening with Galadriel as a child was cringe as fuck, inane dialogue every other scene with goofy bullshit in between. Three episodes in and they haven't even gotten to the main story at all.

I don't give a shit about non white people being in the LOTR world and no-one seems out of place the real problem is that so far it just comes off as the writers and producers sloppily playing around with Tolkien's work when they don't have the skill or vision to justify it.

Post Mortem- A Norwegian Netflix vampire series that centers around a family that owns a funeral parlor in a small town. This is extremely well done, fairly realistic, good writing, strong characters and good pacing. I'd like to recommend it but it looks like there isn't going to be a second season and it ends with such a cliffhanger that it's hard to. The ending isn't cheap or shocking but there's such a well executed buildup that it's a shame that it just stops like that.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I’m not sure who either shows are for.

What is Rings of Power even based on? Cherry picking stories from the Silmarillion?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Nah, the new Lord of the Rings show is not any great amount worse than the movies. Didn't love it, but it was fine for what it was.

famicommander

15 Year Member

What is Rings of Power even based on? Cherry picking stories from the Silmarillion?
No, Rings of Power can't take anything from Silmarillion. It can only draw from the stuff in the appendices of the original book and whatever brief flashbacks to the second age were shown in the main content of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
That’s what they have the rights to?

Christ.

Why did they even go ahead with this project?

So you’re telling me they’re making everything up?

I need to double check what’s even in the appendices.

famicommander

15 Year Member
That’s what they have the rights to?

Christ.

Why did they even go ahead with this project?

So you’re telling me they’re making everything up?

I need to double check what’s even in the appendices.
Technically they have the TV rights to the entirety of all four novels. They just don't want to remake the content of the Third Age stuff we already saw in the Peter Jackson films.

So yeah, they're basically taking every reference to the Second Age and any characters alive back then from all four novels and their appendices and stretching it into five seasons or more of television.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The same as most new shows, they're for creative writing, liberal arts and diversity inclusion majors in writers rooms to all feel important and tell everyone else what they need.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Now that I think about it, it's also funny watching people complain about the Power Rings show who are perfectly happy with the Obi-Wan show and other Disney Star Wars drek.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I was reading an article a couple weeks ago and it was talking about how Tolkien's son considers the Jackson movies to be an insult to his father's work and that the new show will be the most accurate representation made thus far. While Jackson's versions are far from great I would certainly have more confidence in a proven filmmaker with a solid vision and minimal studio interference to handle the material than the say... the largest corporation in the world.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
The Peter Jackson trilogy is fine. A great adaptation of the source material. Only thing I don’t care for is Gollum. Some of the Smeagol/Deagol scenes are a bit much. I recall the audience laughing at some point in the Two Towers and I don’t think that is what Jackson intended.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I'm enjoying Rings of Power so far. It's going to be a slow burn in the beginning. It's a series, not a movie or set of movies. A lot of what happens during this time period isn't well known to folks like myself, so some world and character building is needed. I think this last episode did a good job of starting to get things moving along.

Thankfully my wife is an uber LOTR nerd and is filling in a lot of the blanks for me ahead of what the show will do for everyone else eventually.

That said, I still think the LOTR trilogy is superior.

Internet dweebs getting mad about a dark skinned elf and proto-Hobbit are freaking ridiculous.

I think it would have been a more interesting concept to have lept forward another thousand years and entered the 4th age of Middle Earth with Sauron coming back again, or some other big bad. Even better if there had been some kind of technology progression to at least get humans into the pre-industrial Steam age. Just go nuts with it.

House of the Dragon is in the same boat. Different time, need to world and character build. Gotta put your mindset back to Game of Thrones Season 1. That said, I'm finding it more entertaining than GoT S1 by a longshot.

Going to binge S5 of Cobra Kai over the course of the week. Has 100% on Rotten Tomatoes, so it must be good.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I don't have kids.

Never will.

But Bluey is the fucking shit. My 5 year old nephew made me watch a few episodes, and yeah its definitely a kids show, but much like the old Looney Tunes, there's stuff in there for adults. The parents in the show commit to the games their kids play, and its quite adorable.

Great show. Also, Disney removed an episode of it that talked about (talked about) farts. But there are like 5 episodes that have actual farts in them. So I dunno what Disney has up it's vagina.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
You're always going to be able to find racists and waterheads on the internet who get butthurt when black people or women show up in "things they aren't supposed to". The issue is that the marketing departments and Twitter stans try to lump in anyone who thinks their movie/show sucks (regardless of the reason) with the bigots as an attempt to silence criticism, legitimate or otherwise. It's the reason every movie has 90+% on Rotten Tomatoes anymore: critics are afraid of losing their jobs or their access because god forbid they didn't care for whatever "politically important" Marvel movie came out this week.

Shit's embarrassing.

I was reading an article a couple weeks ago and it was talking about how Tolkien's son considers the Jackson movies to be an insult to his father's work and that the new show will be the most accurate representation made thus far. While Jackson's versions are far from great I would certainly have more confidence in a proven filmmaker with a solid vision and minimal studio interference to handle the material than the say... the largest corporation in the world.

Christopher Tolkien was a fucking doorknob who was just pissy that New Line screwed him out of money.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
You're always going to be able to find racists and waterheads on the internet who get butthurt when black people or women show up in "things they aren't supposed to". The issue is that the marketing departments and Twitter stans try to lump in anyone who thinks their movie/show sucks (regardless of the reason) with the bigots as an attempt to silence criticism, legitimate or otherwise. It's the reason every movie has 90+% on Rotten Tomatoes anymore: critics are afraid of losing their jobs or their access because god forbid they didn't care for whatever "politically important" Marvel movie came out this week.

Shit's embarrassing.
Bingo.

Reviews are so fucked in general now. On top of what you mentioned you've also got studios marketing things completely wrong to wide audiences which leads to shit getting completely split with 1/5 or 5/5. That's stupid people being tricked vs. the intended audience.

On a semi related note Clerks III is getting a suspicious amount of very positive reviews but the only people that seems to have seen it are rinky-dink YT reviewers. It's like the studio trying get ahead of the real reviews which I imagine will be absolutely savage.

Midnight Mass- I wanted to re-watch this after talking about it with a friend recently. I enjoyed it for the most part originally and while I'd say it easily the most well made of Mike Flanagan's Netflix series upon revisiting it I found it absolutely insufferable. I really feel this would have been improved 10x if it had been a movie. There is so much dialogue and it is painful to sit through. Fucking 5-10 minute monologues multiple times an episode is ridiculous and unnatural as hell. While I get that it gives all the main characters a chance to flex their acting muscles they come off as beyond self indulgent.

The church lady is so awful and overused that I had to fast forward every time she showed up. There is an almost identical character in The Mist but that works because it's a movie and she's only on screen a limited amount because of the run time. In MM this rancid bitch is in like half of every damn episode.

I'd still recommend it, the premise, acting and vibe are all solid but be prepared for a lot of eye rolling religious nonsense.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Clerks 2 was better than the first.

Yeah Kevin Smith is Kevin Smith, but I want to see Randall again.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I like Clerks 2 but no way it was better than the first.

Jay and Silent Bob reboot had like 2 solid jokes in the whole damn movie. Painful. Hopefully Clerks 3 is better.

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
i'm giving rings of power a fair shot and started watching it. right away, the paper boat and stone scene's dialog is clunky AF...they are trying too hard to make an awkward attempt at a metaphor seem deep and meaningful.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
i'm giving rings of power a fair shot and started watching it. right away, the paper boat and stone scene's dialog is clunky AF...they are trying too hard to make an awkward attempt at a metaphor seem deep and meaningful.
It immediately reminded me of the horrible speech at the beginning of Wonder Woman 1984 after the stupid Ninja Warrior obstacle course scene. Total nonsense.